After a busy first half, Italian investors are busy finalizing deals in the designer apparel and eyewear sectors.The fall could see Italian private equity firm Style Capital take a stake in MSGM, the fashion contemporary label founded by Massimo Giorgetti in 2009. MSGM is controlled by Giorgetti, and by Italy’s Gruppo Paoloni, which holds a 50 percent stake in the brand.It would be the second investment for Style Capital, which in April acquired a 51 percent stake in women’s wear brand Forte_Forte. The fund manages an investment portfolio valued at 100 million euros.Later in the year, the proposed merger between Italy’s giant eyewear firm Luxottica Group and France’s Essilor Group, a leader in ophthalmic optics, is set to close.Luxottica and Essilor, the leading maker of lenses worldwide, have agreed to a 46 billion euros merger to form an eyewear powerhouse with annual sales of more than 15 billion euros in more than 150 countries. The agreement was first revealed in January and is likely to transform the sector’s global landscape and spark further technological innovation and deals.The Italian group produces eyewear under license for names including the Giorgio Armani Group, Bulgari, Burberry, Chanel, Coach, Prada and Versace and also has a number of owned brands, such as Ray-Ban, Oakley and Persol.Another eyewear deal is set to take shape in 2018: As part of a new joint venture between LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton and Marcolin, the latter will design and manufacture eyewear for Céline and Louis Vuitton, with the goal of “becoming, in the future, the preferred partner” of the LVMH group in the eyewear business.LVMH will control 51 percent of the joint venture and Marcolin the remaining 49 percent. LVMH will take a 10 percent stake in Marcolin, which produces and distributes eyewear collections for brands including Tom Ford, Tod’s, Balenciaga, Moncler and Dsquared2, among others.
From overseeing America’s fastest-growing speciality retailers to codifying cool, WWD talked to the women who are leading the way for the future of beauty. Check out our Instagram Stories to see how these women built today and are creating tomorrow. (📸: @hannah_khymych) #wwdbeauty
For @laperlalingerie's spring 2018 show, the brand chose to host their event at @thevenetianmacao. With Chinese megastars @bingbing_fan and @hubing in attendance, La Perla debuted a rock ‘n’ roll-inspired collection. The show marked the start of Sands Macao Fashion Week, which runs from October 19 to 24 — the city’s first such event. Pictured here are models backstage with glimmering eyes. #wwdfashion (📷: Cheuk-Yin To)
Trending for spring 2018: top stitch design. Gone are the days of stitch just for seams — designers are using the once-minimal detail to create strong decorative elements. (📷: Paola Testa; Styled by @andrew_shang) #wwdfashion
@tradesy is turning the concept of a showroom upside down with its new space in Santa Monica. Here, the company plans to hold events, art exhibits and a showcase rare fashion pieces like this Louis Vuitton boxing set. Get all the details on Tradesy’s first showroom on WWD.com. #wwdnews
Spotted last night at the @erdem x @hm launch event: Kate Bosworth, Rashida Jones, Kirsten Dunst and Selma Blair. The party, which took place in LA, also marked the opening of their pop-up shop. “I was interested in creating a collection that wasn’t in any way disposable. It was about pieces you’d create and keep forever, things that have a permanence to it,” designer Erdem Moralioglu said. #wwdeye (📷: Katie Jones)
Renee Zellweger in yellow in 2001 and again in 2017. Chosen as one of the 12 @pantone Leading Spring Colors (and dubbed “Meadowlark”), it only makes sense that the bright hue stands the test of time and is making a resurgence this season, seen already on stars like @blakelively and @gigihadid. (📷: Donato Sardello & @rexfeatures) #wwdfashion #tbt
Dior’s 70th anniversary celebration continues with a new exhibition at the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto. “Christian Dior,” which is scheduled to run through March 18, takes a look at the founders tenure from 1947 to 1057 and feature 40 designs. Pictured here is an evening gown from the Ailée, fall 1948-49 haute couture collection. #wwdfashion (📷: Brian Boyle)