Jos. A. Bank Clothiers Inc. Sunday stepped up the rhetoric in its resistance to The Men’s Wearhouse Inc.’s $1.61 billion cash tender offer, accusing its rival’s directors of both inconsistency and failure to meet their fiduciary obligations.
The sharply worded letter was in response to one MW sent to Bank’s independent directors on Thursday. In its letter Sunday, Hampstead, Md.-based Bank declined to form a special committee to consider the MW proposal to pay Bank shareholders $57.50 a share. Bank noted that a “substantial majority” of the board — all but two of its seven members, chairman Robert Wildrick and president and chief executive officer Neal Black — are independent and that allegations of a conflict of interest are “baseless.”
“Men’s Wearhouse has yet to explain why the concerns it raised just seven weeks before its offer for Jos. A. Bank do not apply to its offer for Jos. A. Bank,” the letter read.
Furthermore, Bank’s directors wondered how the Federal Trade Commission’s second request for information from MW about its tender offer for Bank could have been “expected,” as MW said in its letter last week. “Our two companies’ stockholders should understand that second requests are issued in less than 2 percent of all transactions filed with the government and a high percentage of those transactions are never completed,” the Bank letter asserted. “If you were expecting a second request, why did you not warn investors that this was likely to occur?”
The latest salvo from Bank came as rumblings continued about its interest in making an acquisition — either of MW or someone else.
Officials at both Bank and Destination XL Group Inc. denied reports that Bank was interested in acquiring the big and tall specialty retailer. Meanwhile, representatives at Bank and Financo Inc., which is advising Bank, had no comment on a Wall Street Journal report that Bank was in discussions about buying Eddie Bauer, the majority of which is owned by Golden Gate Capital.
Golden Gate was set to provide financing for Bank in its pursuit of a $2.4 billion acquisition of MW, the first act in the face-off between the two retailers. Officials at Golden Gate couldn’t be reached for comment.
Bank also took aim Sunday at Eminence Capital, the activist investment firm headed by ceo Ricky Sandler that is MW’s largest shareholder, with 9.9 percent of its shares, and also holds a 4.9 percent stake in Bank.
Eminence clearly wants MW and Bank to become a single entity and has agitated for talks between the two. On Jan. 22, Eminence said it had nominated Bruce Klatsky and Norman Matthews to run for seats on Bank’s board if for any reason the two nominees advanced by MW, Arthur Reiner and John Bowlin, are not in the running for the two slots at the time of Bank’s annual meeting later this year.
The seats in play are currently occupied by Wildrick and Black, who are scheduled to stand for reelection later this year.
Bank’s directors said in their nearly 1,100-word letter Sunday that Eminence “has been arguing first for Jos. A. Bank’s acquisition of Men’s Wearhouse and then Men’s Wearhouse’s acquisition of Jos. A. Bank in order to avoid a potentially large loss on its high-risk arbitrage play, buying Men’s Wearhouse shares betting that a deal would happen.”
Before making its offer to buy Bank for $1.61 billion through a tender offer to shareholders, MW in November offered to buy its rival for $55 a share, or $1.54 billion, a bid rejected on Dec. 23.
Breaking News: @louisvuitton's men's artistic director @mrkimjones is leaving the French fashion house after nearly 7 years. Jones joined Louis Vuitton in 2011, following a three year tenure as creative director of British luxury goods brand Alfred Dunhill. Jones is to exit Louis Vuitton after showing his fall 2018 collection for the brand in Paris on Thursday. Read the full exclusive story on WWD.com. Link in bio. #wwdnews #wwdfashion
For men’s fall 2018, @giuseppezanotti drew on elements from streetwear, sport, biker, combat and rock ‘n’ roll. Pictured here are a pair of shoes from the collection, featuring zippers, rhinestones, and silver hardware. Head to WWD.com to see a roundup of the accessories from Milan’s men’s fall 2018 shows. #wwdfashion (📷: Andrea Delb)
To celebrate the 25th anniversary of @ralphlauren’s snowboarding collection, the brand is mining its archives. The iconic brand is reintroducing vintage styles and dropping new designs for a color capsule that will be available in Ralph Lauren stores and @openingceremony on January 25. The capsule will consist of 10 pieces, including the Snow Beach Pullover, pictured here, which is a collector’s item that rapper Raekwon wore in Wu-Tang Clan’s “Can It Be All So Simple” video. #wwdfashion (📷: Tom Gould)
For @rochasofficial’s pre-fall 2018 collection, creative director Alessandro Dell’Acqua channeled the sophisticated and intriguing Catherine Denevue in the film “Belle de Jour.” Polished collarless coats, midi skirts, suits and ’60s graphic motifs were all featured in the collection, adding a sense of discreet luxury. See the rest of the photos on WWD.com #wwdfashion
“We tried to produce clothing of that couture quality, but the most daunting part was that we only had a matter of days [to do it],” said costume designer Lou Eyrich, who recreated Gianni Versace’s iconic looks for @americancrimestoryfx. Eyrich searched online retailers and vintage shops for original pieces from the design house and for @penelopecruzoficial, who plays Donatella Versace. Head to WWD.com to read how she created the Versace world. #wwdfashion
Only three months after her stellar debut catwalk season, @kaiagerber has inked her first big design collaboration –– with @karllagerfeld. The collection blends Lagerfeld’s Parisian chic aesthetic and the model’s signature West Coast casual style via RTW, accessories, footwear and more. The #KarlLagerfeldxKaia collection will launch in September with a series of events. Get all the details on WWD.com. #wwdnews #wwdfashion
Harrods plans to remove the famous statue of Princess Diana and Dodi Al Fayed from the bottom of the Egyptian escalators and hand it back to Mohamed Al-Fayed. “We are very proud to have played our role in celebrating the lives of Diana, Princess of Wales and Dodi Al Fayed at Harrods and to have welcomed people from around the world to visit the memorial for the past 20 years,” said Michael Ward, Harrods managing director. “With the announcement of the new official memorial statue to Diana, Princess of Wales at Kensington Palace, we feel that the time is right to return this memorial to Mr. Al Fayed and for the public to be invited to pay their respects at the palace.” More on the news, with reporting by @loreleimarfil, at WWD.com. #wwdnews