The possibility of a sweeter offer from Jos. A. Bank Clothiers Inc. hasn’t altered The Men’s Wearhouse Inc.’s firm opposition to its competitor’s takeover bid or the idea of letting its suitor see its books.
Men’s Wearhouse said Monday that, after consultation with its financial and legal advisers, it concluded “it is not in the best interest of the company’s shareholders to provide Jos. A. Bank with access to nonpublic information concerning Men’s Wearhouse.”
The retailer reiterated its earlier position that the $48 a share, or about $2.4 billion, offered for the company “significantly undervalues Men’s Wearhouse.”
“Our board and management teams are committed to creating value for our shareholders,” said Douglas Ewert, president, chief executive officer and a director of MW. “We are enthusiastic about Men’s Wearhouse’s prospects and are confident that our strategic plan will deliver more value to our shareholders than Jos. A. Bank’s inadequate, highly conditional proposal.”
The unsolicited $48-a-share offer, originally proposed on Sept. 18 and made public on Oct. 9, would be funded from cash on hand, financing and $250 million in new equity capital from private equity firm Golden Gate Capital. MW rejected the bid at the time it became public. The original offer represented a 42.4 percent premium to MW’s closing price of $33.71 on Sept. 17.
Shares of MW closed Monday at $42.14, down 2.8 percent. Bank shares declined 0.5 percent to $47.71.
Robert Wildrick, chairman of Jos. A. Bank, said the company was “disappointed” by MW’s refusal to supply a limited amount of information and its choice “not to explore the potential of Jos. A. Bank’s proposal for the benefit of their shareholders. Their board’s position is a matter for consideration by the shareholders of Men’s Wearhouse.
“For our part, we stand by our previous statement and will keep our proposal open until Nov. 14, 2013,” he concluded.
“It is difficult to understand why the board took this position, especially in view of the many Men’s Wearhouse shareholders who have asked that the company meet with our client,” said Gilbert Harrison, chairman of Financo Inc., which is advising Jos. A. Bank on the offer.
Harrison said Jos. A. Bank is not walking away just yet. “It’s not over until the fat lady sings, and we’re not singing yet,” he said.
Wildrick said last week that there are no plans to launch a hostile takeover bid should MW adhere to its earlier rejection of Jos. A. Bank’s offer. Men’s Wearhouse is receiving financial guidance from BofA Merrill Lynch and J.P. Morgan Securities and legal advice from Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP.
“These collections continue to build on that vision, empowering differently abled adults to express themselves through fashion,” said @tommyhilfiger of his line of adaptive apparel, which launches today. The line consists of 37 men’s and 34 women’s styles based upon the pieces from the spring Tommy Hilfiger sportswear collection. #wwdnews
“Stranger Things” is getting a new cast member for season 2. Meet @sadiesink_, the 15-year-old who will be joining the Netflix series for its new season. You may recognize her from “The Glass Castle” with Brie Larson and Woody Harrelson, but the Texas native’s next role goes in an entirely different direction. She describes her character, Max, as “a rough and tumble skater girl [who] becomes friends with the boys at school.” The second season debuts on October 27. (📷: @jgreenery) #wwdeye
Amid the Harvey Weinstein controversy, there’s another sector that’s being put under the spotlight for sexual abuse: the modeling industry. While rumors about abuse and sexual harassment of female and male models — and the photographers, agents and others who perpetrated it — have circulated within the fashion world for years, model @cameronrussell started posting stories from models on Instagram last week about abusive situations they’ve encountered — from sexual harassment and molestation to attempted rape. Over 75 have weighed in so far. Read more on WWD.com. Link in bio. #wwdnews
To celebrate its 16th anniversary, @dylanscandybar tapped designers and celebrities to create mosaics out of candy. The mosaics will be auctioned off to support the philanthropic cause of each participant’s choice. Pictured here is the mural created by @aliceandolivia's Stacey Bendet. For a first look at some of the other artwork being unveiled tonight, go to WWD.com. #wwdeye
The annual Veuve Clicquot Polo Classic in Pacific Palisades this weekend drew Kate Hudson, Tracee Ellis Ross, Laura Dern and more. See pictures of the star-studded event on WWD.com. (📷: @chelsealaurenla) #wwdeye
In his new book “Hollywood Royale,” Andy Warhol’s Protégé Matthew Rolston celebrates the Eighties revival of Hollywood glamour. Featuring more than 100 portraits taken by Rolston from 1977 to 1993, the book contains photos of icons like Michael Jackson, Cyndi Lauper, and @drewbarrymore, pictured here in 1991. “Hollywood Royale,” out today, will be accompanied by an exhibition opening at Los Angeles’ Fahey/Klein Gallery on March 1. #wwdeye
"Nowadays when life is not so happy with everything going on in the world, I think people come to me for a little bit of whimsy and color and fun." - Designer Rebecca De Ravenel on her cult-favorite jewelry line. (📸 : @vsteves) #wwd40
“Everyone is talking about how the retail industry is struggling, but I think it’s an incredible time because brands who are doing something different and innovative are setting themselves up for the future,” said @adamgoldston, who founded the luxury athletic brand @apl with his brother @ryangoldsten. The Goldston’s are part of WWD’s 40 under 40: a group of industry notables. See the rest of the list on WWD.com. (📷: @vsteves) #wwd40
@eyeswoon blogger Athena Calderone debuted her first-ever cookbook, “Cook Beautiful,” which is heavily centered on the presentation and visual expression of food. Pictured here are her miso glazed carrots from the book. Get the recipe on WWD.com. (📷: @johnny_miller_) #wwdeye