1910: The Garment District centered around Madison Square, but opposition came from the Save New York Committee that wanted to maintain the tony atmosphere of the nearby shops on Fifth Avenue known as the Ladies’ Mile.

1919: Two sites along Seventh Avenue between West 36th and 38th Streets developed by the Garment Capitol Co., an association of 38 women’s apparel manufacturers, soon revitalized the vice-ridden area known as the Tenderloin.

To Read the Full Article
SUBSCRIBE NOW

Tap into our Global Network

Of Industry Leaders and Designers

load comments
blog comments powered by Disqus