NEW YORK -- It's all over for Richard Tyler and Anne Klein.
In an abrupt, unexpected announcement, the company said Monday afternoon that "due to differences pertaining to the future design direction" Tyler would no longer create its signature collection.
In fact, the real reason was very simple: Tyler's three collections had failed to perform at the box office.
Rumors were flying that Tyler might be replaced by Patrick Robinson, who only this week resigned from his position as head stylist at the Giorgio Armani Le Collezioni line produced by GFT. An Anne Klein spokesman declined to comment, and Robinson couldn't be reached.
There were also suggestions that Tyler might be replaced by Michael Kors, but again, Klein officials and Kors declined to comment.
Tyler, the Los Angeles-based designer known for his meticulous tailoring and Hollywood clientele, was hired in May 1993 to rev up the Anne Klein Collection and its licensees, which were fast losing momentum in the stores.
When he took over, the collection reportedly had dwindled to about $20 million to $25 million of Anne Klein's $220 million in volume, including licensed products. At the time, the company said it was looking for "dramatic growth" on a global level. That didn't happen.
According to retail sources, Tyler's fashion forward designs and the Anne Klein customer never clicked. His new design direction, coupled with the firm's hard-edged ad campaign, not only alienated the traditional Anne Klein customer, but didn't attract any new ones.
Ironically, only last month, Tyler was named Womenswear Designer of the Year by the Council of Fashion Designers of America for his signature collection, and he will be feted in January. A year ago he received the New Talent award.
"The separation of Anne Klein and Richard Tyler is effective immediately. The final Tyler-designed Anne Klein Collection is spring 1995," according to the company's statement, which, to the surprise of many, was released by a public relations firm. No Anne Klein executive would speak about the matter: Tomio Taki, Frank Mori and Andrew Rosen were all said to be out of the country.
Tyler also declined to comment, but his wife, Lisa Trafficante, told WWD the differences in design directions were "unresolvable."
Issa Rae stopped by WWD's NYC headquarters to talk about season two of "Insecure," which premieres this Sunday on HBO. Click link in bio for all the details. #wwdeye (📷: @jgreenery; Styled by @mayteallende)
A Stella McCartney sketch of a custom dress made from protein-based silk in partnership with biotech lab Bolt Threads. The dress will be displayed at The Museum of Modern Art's upcoming design exhibition, "Items: Is Fashion Modern?"