1888: Belk, now 24, opens his first store in Monroe, N.C. He uses $750 in savings, a $500 loan, and $3,000 worth of goods taken on consignment. Believing an impressive name is a must, he calls his store the New York Racket Store.
1891: Dr. John M. Belk gives up his medical practice and joins his brother as a partner in the business. The brothers begin to develop expansion plans.
1893: The second Belk store opens in Chester, S.C., followed by a third in Union, S.C., a year later.
1895: William H. Belk moves to Charlotte, N.C., to open the fourth store, which would become the company’s flagship and headquarters.