PARIS — “There is always something happening at Galeries Lafayette,” goes the French department store’s slogan — and that was certainly the case on Monday.
The developments came thick and fast at the Boulevard Haussmann institution as Galeries Lafayette reported it has parted ways with Paul Delaoutre, the chief executive officer of its department store division for the past 10 years, to hand over the scepter to Nicolas Houzé, who has served as Delaoutre’s deputy since January 2012.
“Nicolas Houzé represents the fifth generation of the founding family. After having sold [supermarket chain] Monoprix and [consumer credit company] LaSer Cofinoga, the group is focusing on its core business. The idea is to have Nicolas write the next page of the story and give new impulse to the strategy,” a spokeswoman for Galeries Lafayette said, while adding that Delaoutre and the group separated on “good terms.”
The 38-year-old Nicolas Houzé, who is the son of Philippe Houzé, Groupe Galeries Lafayette’s ceo, has been involved in the family business since 1998. He most recently became president of French jewelry chain Didier Guérin, which Galeries Lafayette acquired last year as the first volley of a strategy to make more purchases of mid- to high-end brands in the ready-to-wear and accessories segments.
Already operating in 59 locations in France, and three abroad — in Casablanca, Morocco; Berlin, and Dubai — Galeries Lafayette is set to open a branch in Turkey in 2015.
Meanwhile, its quest to acquire rival department store Printemps, its next-door neighbor, took a patriotic turn on Monday.
In an op-ed letter published in the French financial daily Les Echos, Philippe Houzé beat the drum for a “French solution,” claiming his group offered “the best guaranties” for Printemps’ employees and their jobs as well as “for France with regard to growth and development.”
Galeries Lafayette’s bid to acquire the 70 percent stake of Deutsche Bank’s real estate asset-management division, RREEF, for 1.8 billion euros, or $2.38 billion at current exchange, was rejected late last year in favor of a buyout via an unidentified group of Qatari investors and Borletti Group, which owns the other 30 percent of Printemps and intends to hold on to it.
Borletti and the Qataris have been in “exclusive negotiations” since February.
Although Houzé did not refer to the two negotiating parties by name, he called any alternative to a French industrial offer a “baroque and opaque financial construction with economic and social risks,” adding that “as soon as one starts to touch what is profoundly anchored in our culture, emblematic to Paris and France and what affects our lifestyle, it is necessary to guard and ensure a long-term French solution.”
A spokeswoman for Galeries Lafayette confirmed that Houzé reached out to the Qataris to join forces. “We will see what happens,” she said.
A source close to the Borletti dossier reiterated that the negotiations with the Qataris have remained indeed “exclusive.” The stakeholders have set their first appointment with the works council at Printemps for March 26, with the Qataris’ bid on the agenda of the second meeting to take place within about ten days of the first.
Labor unions at Printemps have expressed their fears over possible job cuts following an eventual change in ownership. The UGICT-CGT, which represents the executive level, fears a possible sale of less profitable Printemps branches and the transformation of Printemps into a luxury commercial center, with less-upscale brands no longer part of the portfolio, should the Qatari investors take over.
In a written statement, the secretary general of UGICT-CGT consequently voiced his preference for a French owner.
Sources close to the Borletti-Qatari talks suggested that “jobs would not be lost,” arguing that a Galeries Lafayette takeover could involve as many as 1,000 posts being eliminated, a fear shared by the Printemps union L’UNSA.
“Having a monopolistic position, the Galeries Lafayette will do what they want with the suppliers; posts at the buying center would most definitely be very quickly at stake,” Georges Das Neves, the union’s secretary general said.
Das Neves added that “workflow and buying on their own represents 300 jobs [to] which you can add marketing, finances and human resources for a total of 500 jobs.”
According to French media reports, Philippe Houzé is also lobbying to obtain the government’s support for a project that would turn the Boulevard Haussmann, home to both Printemps and Galeries Lafayette, into a “tourist zone,” allowing shops to stay open on Sundays and create 1,000 voluntary posts with double pay, a concept that does not strike a chord with Das Neves.
“Most employees come from outside, they don’t work for Printemps, they work for the brands, and have very [limited] rights. Their situation is already bad, it would get worse,” said Das Neves, noting that “the Qataris are very concerned with their image in France.”
“We are not afraid of the Qataris, we are owned by foreigners already, and we are doing well,” he said.
Regarding a possible transformation of the Printemps department store into a different business model, Das Neves added: “We do not fear any such thing. The Qataris already took over Harrods in London and they did not transform it into a [commercial center]. It’s still a department store.”
The flag-waving comes against the backdrop of the French government’s efforts to secure more Qatari investments in France, which is Qatar’s second-largest foreign investment destination after Great Britain. French Minister for Foreign Trade Nicole Bricq and a delegation of 25 French companies visited Doha last week to push for stronger business ties between the two countries, which will reportedly reach their peak in 2014 and 2015.
Breaking News: @louisvuitton's men's artistic director @mrkimjones is leaving the French fashion house after nearly 7 years. Jones joined Louis Vuitton in 2011, following a three year tenure as creative director of British luxury goods brand Alfred Dunhill. Jones is to exit Louis Vuitton after showing his fall 2018 collection for the brand in Paris on Thursday. Read the full exclusive story on WWD.com. Link in bio. #wwdnews #wwdfashion
For men’s fall 2018, @giuseppezanotti drew on elements from streetwear, sport, biker, combat and rock ‘n’ roll. Pictured here are a pair of shoes from the collection, featuring zippers, rhinestones, and silver hardware. Head to WWD.com to see a roundup of the accessories from Milan’s men’s fall 2018 shows. #wwdfashion (📷: Andrea Delb)
To celebrate the 25th anniversary of @ralphlauren’s snowboarding collection, the brand is mining its archives. The iconic brand is reintroducing vintage styles and dropping new designs for a color capsule that will be available in Ralph Lauren stores and @openingceremony on January 25. The capsule will consist of 10 pieces, including the Snow Beach Pullover, pictured here, which is a collector’s item that rapper Raekwon wore in Wu-Tang Clan’s “Can It Be All So Simple” video. #wwdfashion (📷: Tom Gould)
For @rochasofficial’s pre-fall 2018 collection, creative director Alessandro Dell’Acqua channeled the sophisticated and intriguing Catherine Denevue in the film “Belle de Jour.” Polished collarless coats, midi skirts, suits and ’60s graphic motifs were all featured in the collection, adding a sense of discreet luxury. See the rest of the photos on WWD.com #wwdfashion
“We tried to produce clothing of that couture quality, but the most daunting part was that we only had a matter of days [to do it],” said costume designer Lou Eyrich, who recreated Gianni Versace’s iconic looks for @americancrimestoryfx. Eyrich searched online retailers and vintage shops for original pieces from the design house and for @penelopecruzoficial, who plays Donatella Versace. Head to WWD.com to read how she created the Versace world. #wwdfashion
Only three months after her stellar debut catwalk season, @kaiagerber has inked her first big design collaboration –– with @karllagerfeld. The collection blends Lagerfeld’s Parisian chic aesthetic and the model’s signature West Coast casual style via RTW, accessories, footwear and more. The #KarlLagerfeldxKaia collection will launch in September with a series of events. Get all the details on WWD.com. #wwdnews #wwdfashion
Harrods plans to remove the famous statue of Princess Diana and Dodi Al Fayed from the bottom of the Egyptian escalators and hand it back to Mohamed Al-Fayed. “We are very proud to have played our role in celebrating the lives of Diana, Princess of Wales and Dodi Al Fayed at Harrods and to have welcomed people from around the world to visit the memorial for the past 20 years,” said Michael Ward, Harrods managing director. “With the announcement of the new official memorial statue to Diana, Princess of Wales at Kensington Palace, we feel that the time is right to return this memorial to Mr. Al Fayed and for the public to be invited to pay their respects at the palace.” More on the news, with reporting by @loreleimarfil, at WWD.com. #wwdnews