NEW YORK — With less than four weeks to go, Fashion’s Night Out, once again, looks like it will be a Champagne-and-canapés-fueled night of special retail initiatives and celebrities, whose mission is to stimulate spending.
Now in its fourth year, the annual shopping event will take place on Sept. 6, in more than 500 cities nationwide, with much of the retail activity across New York. Here, some of the highlights for Manhattan:
• Kim Kardashian will be at Lord & Taylor to meet fans who purchased her True Reflection fragrance. She will be joined at the store by several designers and personalities of note, including Max, Lubov and Joyce Azria, Jill Zarin, and Kristi Yamaguchi.
• Speaking of the Kardashian clan, Scott Disick will be serving as a host for the Guilty Pleasure Lounge at Macy’s Men’s Lounge. The department store will also mark the opening of its new shoe floor with a special fashion trivia game there hosted by Michael Kors, and Tommy Hilfiger and actress Britt Robinson will also be at the Herald Square location for a Tommy Girl fashion presentation.
• Saks Fifth Avenue will have its share of designer appearances, including Oscar de la Renta for the launch of his new fragrance Essential Luxuries. Rebecca Minkoff will be on hand for a performance by Juliette Lewis of The Voice; Erin Fetherston will partner with hairstylist Edward Tricomi, who is going to offer to cut shoppers’ bangs in the designer’s trademark style, and Kimberly Ovitz is teaming up with Rihanna’s tattoo artist Josh Lord of East Side Ink on custom designs.
• Henri Bendel will bring a Las Vegas flavor to its store with a casino night, a performance by Cirque Du Soleil’s Zumanity and custom Swarovski FNO T-shirts and phone cases for sale.
• Bergdorf Goodman will use the night to kick off its 111th anniversary celebration with designers such as Lela Rose, Michael Bastian, Naeem Khan, Rachel Zoe, Thakoon and a book signing with Sara James Mnookin, who authored “Scatter My Ashes at Bergdorf Goodman.”
• Bloomingdale’s will include appearances by Matchbox 20, Kelly Rutherford for Magaschoni, and Real Housewife of New York and Yummie Tummy founder Heather Thomson, as well as a BMW motorcycle stunt driver expected to be positioned on the Third Avenue side of the New York flagship.
Several celebrities and socials will also make their way to the city’s designer boutiques. Patricia Lansing, Jessica Seinfeld and Stephanie Winston Wolkoff will be at CH Carolina Herrera for a CH Kids’ party benefiting Baby Buggy. Azealia Banks will perform at MAC Cosmetics, while Solange Knowles will be the special guest DJ at Diane von Furstenberg.
Further information on the night and retail events is available at fashionsnightout.com.
The event will be accompanied with a special Fashion’s Night Out collection, with a portion of the proceeds benefiting the New York City AIDS Fund in the NY Community Trust.
FNO, which was created in 2009 to celebrate fashion, boost consumer confidence and retailer’s bottom lines, is a collaboration between American Vogue, the Council of Fashion Designers of America, NYC & Company and the City of New York.
@kith is moving into children’s. The men’s and women’s streetwear brand has launched Kidset, a Kith kids line located in New York at 64 Bleecker Street. The line includes mini versions of staple Kith pieces like the Astor bomber jacket and the Kith box logo sweatshirts, along with a wall that can display up to 120 pairs of shoes from @adidas, @newbalance, @timberland and more. #wwdfashion
“I just wanted to create this fully rounded character, but I do think what excited me most was just the opportunity to give a group of people representation that I feel needs it. I like to do characters in projects that stand for something and Karolina definitely does, so that was really exciting to me,” @ginnygardner says of her new role in @hulu’s “The Runaways.” Gardner plays Karolina Dean, a queer superhero, which is a rarity for @marvel. Read more about Gardner’s character on WWD.com #wwdeye (📷: @dandoperalski)
@heriethpaul and @gracebol have a moment on the @victoriassecret fashion show 2017. See every look from the runway on WWD.com. Link in bio. (📷: @giovanni_giannoni_photo) #wwdfashion #victoriassecret #VSFashionShow
“Azzedine has been one of the biggest influences in my life. He has always been such a strong, loving, fatherly figure to me. I call him Papa. His designs are indescribably unique, they are pieces of art. He knew how to make the female form look its loveliest. I have so many memories of him; my favorite might be during my first show with him in Paris. He liked me and he wanted to help me get more work. He called all his friends at Kenzo and Comme des Garcons, and asked them to book me. They said, ‘But she can’t walk!’ And he said, ‘but she has such a great ass!' His friendship and support has been the great privilege of my career. I can't imagine life without him. Repose en paix mon Papa.” - @stephanieseymour tells @wwd. #wwdfashion (📷: @steveeichner) #alaia #azzedinealaia
Azzedine Alaïa, flanked by two of his closest friends, models Stephanie Seymour and Naomi Campbell.
He designed Seymour’s dress for her 1995 wedding to Peter Brant, and treated Campbell (who famously called him Papa), like a daughter. For more on the legendary designer, tap the link in bio. #wwdfashion #alaia #azzedinealaia