NEW YORK — With less than four weeks to go, Fashion’s Night Out, once again, looks like it will be a Champagne-and-canapés-fueled night of special retail initiatives and celebrities, whose mission is to stimulate spending.
Now in its fourth year, the annual shopping event will take place on Sept. 6, in more than 500 cities nationwide, with much of the retail activity across New York. Here, some of the highlights for Manhattan:
• Kim Kardashian will be at Lord & Taylor to meet fans who purchased her True Reflection fragrance. She will be joined at the store by several designers and personalities of note, including Max, Lubov and Joyce Azria, Jill Zarin, and Kristi Yamaguchi.
• Speaking of the Kardashian clan, Scott Disick will be serving as a host for the Guilty Pleasure Lounge at Macy’s Men’s Lounge. The department store will also mark the opening of its new shoe floor with a special fashion trivia game there hosted by Michael Kors, and Tommy Hilfiger and actress Britt Robinson will also be at the Herald Square location for a Tommy Girl fashion presentation.
• Saks Fifth Avenue will have its share of designer appearances, including Oscar de la Renta for the launch of his new fragrance Essential Luxuries. Rebecca Minkoff will be on hand for a performance by Juliette Lewis of The Voice; Erin Fetherston will partner with hairstylist Edward Tricomi, who is going to offer to cut shoppers’ bangs in the designer’s trademark style, and Kimberly Ovitz is teaming up with Rihanna’s tattoo artist Josh Lord of East Side Ink on custom designs.
• Henri Bendel will bring a Las Vegas flavor to its store with a casino night, a performance by Cirque Du Soleil’s Zumanity and custom Swarovski FNO T-shirts and phone cases for sale.
• Bergdorf Goodman will use the night to kick off its 111th anniversary celebration with designers such as Lela Rose, Michael Bastian, Naeem Khan, Rachel Zoe, Thakoon and a book signing with Sara James Mnookin, who authored “Scatter My Ashes at Bergdorf Goodman.”
• Bloomingdale’s will include appearances by Matchbox 20, Kelly Rutherford for Magaschoni, and Real Housewife of New York and Yummie Tummy founder Heather Thomson, as well as a BMW motorcycle stunt driver expected to be positioned on the Third Avenue side of the New York flagship.
Several celebrities and socials will also make their way to the city’s designer boutiques. Patricia Lansing, Jessica Seinfeld and Stephanie Winston Wolkoff will be at CH Carolina Herrera for a CH Kids’ party benefiting Baby Buggy. Azealia Banks will perform at MAC Cosmetics, while Solange Knowles will be the special guest DJ at Diane von Furstenberg.
Further information on the night and retail events is available at fashionsnightout.com.
The event will be accompanied with a special Fashion’s Night Out collection, with a portion of the proceeds benefiting the New York City AIDS Fund in the NY Community Trust.
FNO, which was created in 2009 to celebrate fashion, boost consumer confidence and retailer’s bottom lines, is a collaboration between American Vogue, the Council of Fashion Designers of America, NYC & Company and the City of New York.
EXCLUSIVE: @tomford is opening its first-ever beauty store. The boutique, which opens November 20 in London’s Covent Gardens, was designed with the over-the-top glam Ford is known for. Read the full story on WWD.com, link in bio. #wwdbeauty #wwdnews (📷: Simon Wagner) #TomFordBeauty
New York-based DJ @harleyvnewton threw a party to celebrate the holiday collection of her dress and pajama line @hvn at the Ladurée Beverly Hills. It Girls @katebosworth, @rashidajones and more joined in on the fun, which included cocktails, croque monsieur sandwiches and a photo booth. #wwdfashion (📷: Owen Kolasinski/BFA.com)
For the holidays, @Burberry partnered with 20-year-old artist @blondeymccoy on a series of three outdoor murals in downtown Manhattan. The murals are McCoy’s interpretation of a Christmas eve party, the idea of charity and the spirit of family. His third mural, pictured here, is the most personal. The image depicts McCoy’s grandparents and father in London’s Trafalgar Square in the Seventies. “My work often features lots of sentimental objects.” #wwdeye
For spring 2018, designers applied bold colors and cartoonish motifs on everything from sneakers and belts to key chains. See all the top men’s accessories trends on WWD.com. #wwdtrends (📷: George Chinsee; Prop Styling by @rnasti; Market Editor: @luiscampuzano)
The @dior-sponsored @guggenheim international gala pre-party has a history of drawing cool-girl musical acts to serenade the crowd –– and last night was no exception. @haimtheband performed songs both new and old, and lured a star-studded audience with the likes of Rebecca Hall, Kate Mara, Mamoudou Athie and more. #wwdeye (📷: @lexieblacklock)
In a partnership between the @metopera and the @englishnationalopera, “Marnie” was born. The opera, with costumes sponsored by @mrporterlive, is an adaptation of the 1961 thriller by Winston Graham. Arianne Phillips, who created the costumes, is no rookie: She’s styled Madonna for her tours and created costumes for a myriad of films in the past. Read WWD’s interview with Phillips, where she talks about her inspiration for the opera’s costumes on WWD.com #wwdfashion
@barneysnyc took a different approach to their holiday windows this year. Instead of Christmas decor, Barneys tapped @thehaasbrothers to tell a story of positivity, gratitude and inclusivity via heartwarming silliness and humor. “It’s about kids and it’s about coming together and being family and loving each other,” said Simon Haas. #wwdfashion (📷: @joshuascottphoto)
Beauty influencer @kandeejohnson makes her foray into hair care with a collaboration with @ogx_beauty — making it the first time that OGX has teamed up for a product creation. The collab includes shampoos and conditioners in three scents. At 39 and a mom, Johnson is a different profile than the emerging social media stars, but is considered one of the pioneers of the digital beauty influencer world. Read WWD’s interview with her on wwd.com, including the strangest beauty product she’s ever tried #wwdbeauty