NEW YORK — With less than four weeks to go, Fashion’s Night Out, once again, looks like it will be a Champagne-and-canapés-fueled night of special retail initiatives and celebrities, whose mission is to stimulate spending.
Now in its fourth year, the annual shopping event will take place on Sept. 6, in more than 500 cities nationwide, with much of the retail activity across New York. Here, some of the highlights for Manhattan:
• Kim Kardashian will be at Lord & Taylor to meet fans who purchased her True Reflection fragrance. She will be joined at the store by several designers and personalities of note, including Max, Lubov and Joyce Azria, Jill Zarin, and Kristi Yamaguchi.
• Speaking of the Kardashian clan, Scott Disick will be serving as a host for the Guilty Pleasure Lounge at Macy’s Men’s Lounge. The department store will also mark the opening of its new shoe floor with a special fashion trivia game there hosted by Michael Kors, and Tommy Hilfiger and actress Britt Robinson will also be at the Herald Square location for a Tommy Girl fashion presentation.
• Saks Fifth Avenue will have its share of designer appearances, including Oscar de la Renta for the launch of his new fragrance Essential Luxuries. Rebecca Minkoff will be on hand for a performance by Juliette Lewis of The Voice; Erin Fetherston will partner with hairstylist Edward Tricomi, who is going to offer to cut shoppers’ bangs in the designer’s trademark style, and Kimberly Ovitz is teaming up with Rihanna’s tattoo artist Josh Lord of East Side Ink on custom designs.
• Henri Bendel will bring a Las Vegas flavor to its store with a casino night, a performance by Cirque Du Soleil’s Zumanity and custom Swarovski FNO T-shirts and phone cases for sale.
• Bergdorf Goodman will use the night to kick off its 111th anniversary celebration with designers such as Lela Rose, Michael Bastian, Naeem Khan, Rachel Zoe, Thakoon and a book signing with Sara James Mnookin, who authored “Scatter My Ashes at Bergdorf Goodman.”
• Bloomingdale’s will include appearances by Matchbox 20, Kelly Rutherford for Magaschoni, and Real Housewife of New York and Yummie Tummy founder Heather Thomson, as well as a BMW motorcycle stunt driver expected to be positioned on the Third Avenue side of the New York flagship.
Several celebrities and socials will also make their way to the city’s designer boutiques. Patricia Lansing, Jessica Seinfeld and Stephanie Winston Wolkoff will be at CH Carolina Herrera for a CH Kids’ party benefiting Baby Buggy. Azealia Banks will perform at MAC Cosmetics, while Solange Knowles will be the special guest DJ at Diane von Furstenberg.
Further information on the night and retail events is available at fashionsnightout.com.
The event will be accompanied with a special Fashion’s Night Out collection, with a portion of the proceeds benefiting the New York City AIDS Fund in the NY Community Trust.
FNO, which was created in 2009 to celebrate fashion, boost consumer confidence and retailer’s bottom lines, is a collaboration between American Vogue, the Council of Fashion Designers of America, NYC & Company and the City of New York.
There'll be no rest for those headed to Europe for men's, as Paris just closed the gap with Milan. According to a provisional calendar released by the Chambre Syndicale, Paris Men's Week will now open a day earlier on January 16. See new highlights on the official lineup on WWD.com. #wwdnews #wwdfashion (📷: @kukukuba)
BREAKING: Jonathan Saunders is leaving @DVF. The designer has resigned from his position as chief creative officer of Diane von Furstenberg, the company said in a statement on Friday. At the time of his hire, von Furstenberg said Saunders’ arrival symbolized and facilitated her stepping back from the day-to-day duties that occupy the work of a full-time creative director. The British designer joined DVF in May 2016 and was in charge of all product categories. #wwdnews
For @versace_official’s spring ad campaign, the brand emphasized the archival prints from the spring tribute collection dedicated to the late Gianni Versace. Closing out the show were five of Gianni’s favorite models: Cindy, Naomi, Carla, Helena, and Claudia. Bowing on December 18, the new campaign is yet another tribute to supermodel-dom as the images by Steven Meisel are fronted by @iamnaomicampbell, @cturlington, @gisele and more. #wwdfashion
Four-time Oscar-nominated actress Annette Bening has been waiting 20 years to play Gloria Graham in "Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool," which will be released on December 29. The movie about Graham – a Hollywood star known for her controversial relationship with a younger Englishman named Peter Turner – is based off a memoir Turned wrote. "She felt vulnerable to him, because she loved him, she really did love him. And anyone that we really truly are in love with, we re vulnerable to in a very deep way," said Bening. Read our full interview with the modern icon of an actress on WWD.com. #wwdeye (📷: @ninebagatelles; Styled by @cristinaehrlich)
The crisp white button down: a staple that can be dressed up or down and accessorized throughout the decades. Here, on a Art Basel-goer in 2017 on the left and on the iconic Audrey Hepburn in “Roman Holiday” in 1953 on the right. #tbt #wwdfashion (📷: Andrew Morales)
Known for her work with @victoriassecret, 25-year-old model @georgiafowler is raising her profile in Hollywood. Fowler stars in @vincecamuto’s holiday campaign, which launched in partnership with “Pitch Perfect 3.” “Almost every shoot with Vince Camuto, I’ve had to face a fear…It was definitely a challenge. I’m so grateful for it, though. I’ve always wanted to be a pop star, so that was the perfect chance,” Fowler said. Head to WWD.com to read about Fowler’s experience modeling, including at the #VSFashionShow, and her relationship with Nick Jonas. #wwdeye (📷: @jilliansollazzo)
EXCLUSIVE: Huda Kattan just became the first beauty influencer to land a major beauty deal. Kattan's business, @hudabeauty, has received a minority investment from private equity firm TSG Consumer Partners. The brand, which industry sources say is on track to do $200 million in retail sales for 2017, will receive support on product, retail and geographic expansion through the deal. Get all the details on the deal and read @_a_collins' interview with Kattan on WWD.com. Link in bio. (📷: @jgreenery) #wwdbeauty #wwdnews
Peruvian model @juanaburga_official – who is known for walking the runways of @rodarte, @viviennewestwood and @torybuch – is making the move to the big screen with drama “Los Últimos.” The film premiered in Argentina in November and arrives in the U.S. and Europe in 2018. On making the switch from modeling to acting, Burga told WWD: “It’s a completely different thing – a lot of people think it’s similar or try to connect things, especially like getting used to the camera or being looked at all the time or playing these different characrers, but film is a completely different story.” #wwdeye (📷: @jgreenery)
London’s newly opened @designmuseum will look back on the life and work of Azzedine Alaïa in a show that the designer helped to curate before he died of heart failure last month. The retrospective, which Alaïa had worked on with Mark Wilson, chief curator of the @groningermuseum, will look at the impact of his work worldwide. The show, “Azzedine Alaïa: The Couturier,” will run from May 10 to October 7. Read more about the exhibit on WWD.com #wwdnews #wwdfashion (📷: @zefashioninsider)