PARIS — Givenchy will not create a collection for couture week here later this month — but the future of high fashion at the French house is secure.
Chief executive Marco Gobbetti confirmed those facts Wednesday, scuttling rumblings that parent LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton, which is in the throes of selling off Christian Lacroix, might dispose of another money-losing couture operation.
“We have big plans for the couture,” Gobbetti assured in an interview. “We take very seriously the future of the brand.”
Questions surrounding Givenchy’s prospects have been exacerbated by its lengthy search for a women’s creative director to succeed Julien Macdonald, who exited last April after a three-year stint. Since then, Givenchy has forgone the runway and ceased advertising its fashions and accessories.
But Gobbetti said he’s zeroing in on a finalist and could announce a new designer by March. He declined to elaborate.
Meanwhile, he said Givenchy’s in-house design team is preparing a women’s pre-fall ready-to-wear collection to show to retailers starting Jan. 24 and it would “work directly with [couture] clients to prepare things expressly for them.”
Absent of a women’s designer, Givenchy’s men’s business has come to the fore and Gobbetti reported a strong reception at retail to the first collection by men’s artistic director Ozwald Boateng, just delivered to stores.
Boateng presents his second collection for Givenchy Homme on Jan. 31 during Men’s Fashion Week at Paris city hall. It’s a first for the landmark, which happens to shelter a major Boateng fan: Mayor Bertrand Delanoe.
Alberta Ferretti's "Rainbow Week" sweaters are back. The designer closed her #MFW show with a few day-of-the-week sweaters, which first debuted on the catwalk last January as part of the pre-fall 2017 collection. #wwdfashion (📷: @delphineachard)