NEW YORK — Westfield Garden State Plaza in Paramus, N.J., remained closed Tuesday in the wake of a shooting incident that left the lone gunman dead of a self-inflicted wound.
Shoppers and employees of the sprawling 2.2-million-square-foot mall were unharmed, but some were trapped inside the mall on Monday night, which was under lockdown while authorities searched for the gunman. He was identified as 20-year-old Richard Shoop of Teaneck, N.J.
“First and foremost, the safety of Westfield Garden State Plaza shoppers and employees is paramount and always a priority; and we are so very grateful that all our customers and employees are safe,” Westfield Group said. “We are also very thankful for the rapid and comprehensive response of local and regional law enforcement. Per Bergen County authorities, Garden State Plaza will be closed on Tuesday, Nov. 5. We will continue to advise of the mall’s operational schedule. Clearly, yesterday’s event heightens everyone’s state of awareness and concern. Our security precautions reflect that heightened state. Once cleared to reopen, we will continue to work with law enforcement and public safety officials to keep our shopping center safe.”
The terror began at about 9:20 p.m. when a gunman reportedly dressed in black with a motorcycle helmet and possibly wearing body armor and carrying a rifle made to look like an AK-47 entered the mall near Nordstrom. He fired random shots as he allegedly walked through the mall brandishing the weapon. About 500 SWAT and law enforcement officials descended on the mall. Meanwhile, 400 shoppers and employees were reportedly trapped inside as police conducted a sweep of the facility after the shooter had been discovered dead.
The incident took place just as retailers were advertising their holiday promotions.
In an update on its Facebook page, Garden State Plaza said Tuesday that it would open today at 6 a.m. for retailers and their employees so they could prepare their stores and collect any personal items left behind. It will open to the public at 10 a.m.
David Levenberg, former vice president of security for General Growth Properties Inc., said there are still unanswered questions. “How did he get the rifle in there?” he asked. “Was it visible from the parking lot? What happened once the gunfire erupted? Some witnesses said they weren’t told what to do or where to go.”
The National Retail Federation produced active shooter training for the retail industry several years ago. “Malls try to do two full-scale evacuation drills a year,” said Malachy Kavanagh, a spokesman for the the International Council of Shopping Centers. “They can’t do enough training because there’s a lot of retail turnover. The Department of Homeland Security created a program that deals with active shooters. It’s very much on everybody’s radar screen.”
In fact, Richard Mellor, a security expert who serves as vice president of loss prevention at the NRF, had a previously scheduled meeting with the Department of Homeland Security on Tuesday, the organization said.
The Garden State Plaza mall gets 20 million visitors a year and rings up over $400 million in sales. One of the largest centers in New Jersey, it’s also one of the busiest and most productive in the state.
The last active shooter incident in a mall occurred in December 2012 outside Portland, Ore. In September, the Roosevelt Field mall in Garden City, N.Y., was under lockdown after a gunman shot two people at a nearby office complex. “They’re a rarity,” Kavanagh said of mall shootings, but added, “In society, shootings seem to be happening more often.”
Breaking News: @louisvuitton's men's artistic director @mrkimjones is leaving the French fashion house after nearly 7 years. Jones joined Louis Vuitton in 2011, following a three year tenure as creative director of British luxury goods brand Alfred Dunhill. Jones is to exit Louis Vuitton after showing his fall 2018 collection for the brand in Paris on Thursday. Read the full exclusive story on WWD.com. Link in bio. #wwdnews #wwdfashion
For men’s fall 2018, @giuseppezanotti drew on elements from streetwear, sport, biker, combat and rock ‘n’ roll. Pictured here are a pair of shoes from the collection, featuring zippers, rhinestones, and silver hardware. Head to WWD.com to see a roundup of the accessories from Milan’s men’s fall 2018 shows. #wwdfashion (📷: Andrea Delb)
To celebrate the 25th anniversary of @ralphlauren’s snowboarding collection, the brand is mining its archives. The iconic brand is reintroducing vintage styles and dropping new designs for a color capsule that will be available in Ralph Lauren stores and @openingceremony on January 25. The capsule will consist of 10 pieces, including the Snow Beach Pullover, pictured here, which is a collector’s item that rapper Raekwon wore in Wu-Tang Clan’s “Can It Be All So Simple” video. #wwdfashion (📷: Tom Gould)
For @rochasofficial’s pre-fall 2018 collection, creative director Alessandro Dell’Acqua channeled the sophisticated and intriguing Catherine Denevue in the film “Belle de Jour.” Polished collarless coats, midi skirts, suits and ’60s graphic motifs were all featured in the collection, adding a sense of discreet luxury. See the rest of the photos on WWD.com #wwdfashion
“We tried to produce clothing of that couture quality, but the most daunting part was that we only had a matter of days [to do it],” said costume designer Lou Eyrich, who recreated Gianni Versace’s iconic looks for @americancrimestoryfx. Eyrich searched online retailers and vintage shops for original pieces from the design house and for @penelopecruzoficial, who plays Donatella Versace. Head to WWD.com to read how she created the Versace world. #wwdfashion
Only three months after her stellar debut catwalk season, @kaiagerber has inked her first big design collaboration –– with @karllagerfeld. The collection blends Lagerfeld’s Parisian chic aesthetic and the model’s signature West Coast casual style via RTW, accessories, footwear and more. The #KarlLagerfeldxKaia collection will launch in September with a series of events. Get all the details on WWD.com. #wwdnews #wwdfashion
Harrods plans to remove the famous statue of Princess Diana and Dodi Al Fayed from the bottom of the Egyptian escalators and hand it back to Mohamed Al-Fayed. “We are very proud to have played our role in celebrating the lives of Diana, Princess of Wales and Dodi Al Fayed at Harrods and to have welcomed people from around the world to visit the memorial for the past 20 years,” said Michael Ward, Harrods managing director. “With the announcement of the new official memorial statue to Diana, Princess of Wales at Kensington Palace, we feel that the time is right to return this memorial to Mr. Al Fayed and for the public to be invited to pay their respects at the palace.” More on the news, with reporting by @loreleimarfil, at WWD.com. #wwdnews