Hong Kong-based Lane Crawford is tapping fashion’s major brands for an exclusive collection of accessories drawn from the runways of New York, London, Milan and Paris.
Set to hit Lane Crawford stores on Tuesday, the collection of more than 120 limited runway looks is drawn from 40 fashion houses, including Alexander McQueen, Haider Ackermann, Christian Louboutin, Manolo Blahnik and Proenza Schouler.
“The idea came from the fact that as industry insiders, as people attending shows and showrooms, we came across very interesting product that is often developed for the runway, which in many cases do not go into production,” said Peter Harris, president of Pedder Group, Lane Crawford’s sister company responsible for the store’s accessories and footwear collections.
“We wanted to celebrate that creativity by putting it under a banner and, to a degree, to pay homage to those creatives who work around the designers,” he added, explaining that about 40 percent of the collection is exclusive to Lane Crawford and put into limited production. The other 60 percent are items developed for limited distribution to appear in the designers’ boutiques.
Called Invitation Défilé: Accessories of the Runway, the collection, which will remain in stores for about six weeks, is part of Blitz, a five-month-old concept space within Lane Crawford stores that plays host to special projects. Thus far, those projects have included collaborations with Reed Space, Manolo Blahnik and a bevy of British designers, including Nicholas Kirkwood, Todd Lynn, Peter Pilotto, Mary Katrantzou and Patrick Grant.
The willingness of designers to develop exclusives for Lane Crawford shows the importance of the retailer in the booming China market, which represents the major geographical growth area for most fashion brands. The company operates four stores in Hong Kong and one in Beijing.
All based on runway looks, the Invitation Défilé collection ranges in price from $89 to $7,729, and includes Ann Demeulemeester drop earrings, Linda Farrow eyewear for Dries Van Noten, Alexander McQueen sculptural platform heels and headpieces, a Givenchy shoulder bag with gold metal chains and sari scarves with metallic trim by Thakoon.
Lane Crawford will offer gloves from both Erdem and Proenza Schouler. Erdem’s are lace and can be purchased in yellow, lavender or black, while Proenza’s gloves are made from eel skin.
Other notable pieces include embroidered backpacks by Theyskens’ Theory, millinery pieces by Kenzo, Lanvin chokers and 3.1 Phillip Lim’s denim vest that converts to a backpack, along with transparent beaded sandals.
“Following a review of the principle shows of the season and of what was shown in showrooms, we selected to work with those designers who had captured the spirit of the season with respect to their own personal take and imprint on the season’s fashion canvas,” Harris said.
If a trip to Lane Crawford’s Hong Kong or Beijing locations is out of the question, the exclusive products also are available on lanecrawford.com.
According to Harris, the runway accessories collection will be a seasonal staple for Lane Crawford, with “quite probably fewer designers and fewer pieces, but with an increased elevation with regards to those pieces collaborated.”
Alberta Ferretti's "Rainbow Week" sweaters are back. The designer closed her #MFW show with a few day-of-the-week sweaters, which first debuted on the catwalk last January as part of the pre-fall 2017 collection. #wwdfashion (📷: @delphineachard)