Top 10 most-searched-for clothing, shoes and accessories brands on eBay for the seven-day period ended Jan. 15.
Fashion is making its mark on eBay, the online auction retailer. "Everybody loves a bargain, but eBay is taking advantage of this trend, where even the chicest people are now wearing $30 tops and carrying $800 handbags," said eBay style director Constance White. Convenience is another factor. "Say you don't live near a Neiman Marcus or a Saks — you can log on and find that one item you really covet, especially for those members abroad," she said. And, finally, there is the element of availability. "You can literally get anything from the $10 T-shirt to the most rarefied, limited edition Balenciaga handbag," White said. Below, a look at the most-searched-for clothing, shoes and accessories (excluding jewelry and watches) brands on eBay in recent days.
1. COACH Total searches for the seven-day period ended Jan. 15: 2,485 In a search on Wednesday, there were 24,538 items under "Coach" in the "Clothing, Shoes & Accessories" category. Available products included a new Gallery Patent Leather Tote, the leather Lily satchel and a new Hamptons Signature Mini Wallet. "[Creative director Reed] Krakoff has definitely given it designer cachet,'' White said. "Coach...cuts across all kinds of demographics. A 16-year-old can receive this for her birthday as a special gift, but then again, it can be an affordable luxury item for the accomplished Baby Boomer."
2. GUCCI Total searches: 1,540 "Gucci consistently ranks highly among the top 10," White said. "It's an expensive brand, but it's a known name. So maybe it's not as affordable as Coach, but it doesn't matter, because the name speaks for itself." The brand does well among male and female consumers. Women can bid on the Signoria Large Hobo bag, and men, on a pair of the line's black wool dress pants. Gucci creative director Frida Giannini created a special collection for this year's Summer Olympic Games in China, called the 8-8-2008 Limited Edition, which encompasses eight exclusive accessories with a sporty angle. The Olympics kick off in Beijing on Aug. 8 — and eight is the lucky number in Chinese culture.3. PRADA Total searches: 1,326 "Prada is very much about accessories," White said. "Don't get me wrong — anything sells from Prada. But there's a lot more bags, a lot less apparel. The Prada apparel is being bought by a real fashionista, whereas the accessories — handbags, belts, wallets — those are what the majority of people are interested in." Along the accessories line, the Glace Calf leather shoulder bag in black was available. The Italian luxury goods group said last month that it plans an initial public offering this year. WWD reported, "There had been no decision on how much of the company would be floated. A source close to the deal suggested the move would likely be made in the second half, and that a 30 to 40 percent chunk would go public." Industry sources valued Prada at 4 billion euros, or $5.95 billion at current exchange, to 5 billion euros, or $7.43 billion.
4. ABERCROMBIE & FITCH Total searches: 1,019 "This is a brand that is huge with teenagers and young twentysomethings," White said. Take those age groups online, and you've got yourself a win-win situation. "These people are shopping online constantly," she added. "The college student relies on the Internet, and they are certainly buying their apparel and accessories online. In addition, it's got the male and female appeal, too." Women might have their eyes on the pair of A&F 1892 button-fly jeans, and, for young men, perhaps the Southside Trail polo T-shirt up for bid will appeal.
5. JUICY COUTURE Total searches: 1,007 This Liz Claiborne-owned brand is expanding in the U.S. and overseas. Gela Nash-Taylor, co-founder and co-president, said in November, "By the end of this year, we will have 63 stores in the U.S. and, within 10 years, we'll have 47 in Asia." The brand's celebrity cachet appeals to young consumers. "The users on eBay are flipping through Us Weekly and People and they see a Juicy tracksuit on Jessica [Simpson], or Lindsay [Lohan] carrying a Juicy bag — it's a really youthful, playful brand, and that in itself speaks volumes to consumers," White said. Tracksuits and bags abound on eBay, including the Velour Scottie Dog Tracksuit in gray or the Daydreamer Velour Tote bag. 6. HOLLISTER Total searches: 994 A subsidiary of number-four-ranked Abercrombie & Fitch, Hollister is considered a casual clothing line, but with a twist on California surfer style. The brand skews a little younger, toward individuals ages 14 to 18. "Abercrombie and Hollister are so similar in that they attract a younger shopper, but they really are two very different brands," White said. "Hollister is all about the casual lifestyle. It's got that cool, college-edged look to it. People want to look relaxed and casual in college — this is a brand they'll wear." What's selling on eBay for Hollister? Items such as the Spring Valley Hoodie for girls, and boys may be interested in the Long Beach T-shirt.
7. BURBERRY Total searches: 891 "Burberry has such a great pedigree," White said. "People know this name.'' She pointed out that shoppers could be driven by recent ads featuring Kate Moss, who has brought even more visibility to the highly recognized brand. "More than any other names in the top 10, this brand really attracts two very different demographics,'' White said. "On the one hand, you've got the 55-year-old man who knows Burberry and wants a replacement trenchcoat. Then you have the young fashionista looking for what's on the runway — she or he will want whatever is new. They want the belt, the bucket hat, you name it." Indeed, trenchcoats, belts and bucket hats are plentiful on eBay, as well as handbags such as the Nova Check, which features the house's signature plaid pattern.
8. NIKE Total searches: 880 It's not necessarily female consumers who are snatching up the brand's sneakers — it's the male consumers. "This might be a surprise to some people, but Air Force 1s are still popular on our site," White said. "People want that iconic, classic item, and they can still find them on eBay." She also noted that many purchases have been among consumers from outside the U.S. who are amassing sneaker collections. "This is an ideal case of eBay's accessibility, its convenience. The consumer in Japan or England wants that pair of sneakers, and he has no access to it," she said.9. MARC JACOBS Total searches: 831 "It has been really interesting to see how Jacobs' popularity has grown steadily on the site," White said. "He was such a secret among retailers and editors, but now everyone has Marc, from A-list celebrities to Middle America." The designer's own celebrity status has been rising, too. Jacobs launched the Marc Jacobs line in 1986 and, in 2001, he began a sister collection, Marc by Marc Jacobs, which features affordable edgy mass market pieces. Both are consistently among the most-viewed collections for New York Fashion Week on Style.com. Searches for this name may fall under his namesake line or the sister collection, as well. Apparel items on eBay include Marc by Marc Jacobs Whisper Stripe button-up blouse, while the black leather quilted Stam Bag from Marc Jacobs also is available.
10. BEBE Total searches: 764 "To me, this is the biggest surprise of the top 10," White said. "But it's interesting upon reflection because, while it's not the best-known line in the world, the brand has been signing celebrities recently to heighten its visibility. The celebrity names must be making that impact." Mischa Barton, who starred in "The O.C.," has represented the Brisbane, Calif.-based line and, last spring, Eva Longoria of "Desperate Housewives'' and Rebecca Romijn of "Ugly Betty'' signed to become the next faces of Bebe. The clothing category features items such as Bebe's tube bubble strapless dress in green or the faux-shearling coat with embroidery in black.
“What he has done at Vuitton is really exceptional,” said @gameofthrones’ actress Gwendoline Christie on @mrkimjones’ final show for @louisvuitton. “He has rebooted luxury in terms of making it commercial, viable and contemporary. And most importantly artistic. He has never compromised his artistic vision for the sake of commodity.” (📷: @zefashioninsider)
After seeing a demand for men’s wear from its customers, British contemporary women’s wear label @ariesarise has added a men’s wear component and will launch a unisex collection with @mrporterlive. The 20-piece collection includes jackets, denim, logo T-shirts and more with deconstructed ‘90s vibes. Set to launch on January 18, you can shop the pieces on Aries’ website and on mrporter.com. #wwdfashion
“And so spending so much time with a character who thinks like that, inevitability you try and analyze yourself and go back and think about your own demons and dark chapters that you had in your life,” says @thedanielbruhl of his role in TNT’s “The Alienist.” The show, set in the Gilded Age of New York, also stars Dakota Fanning and Luke Evans. Head to WWD.com to read about how 39-year-old Brühl prepared for the role and why he thinks the show is so relevant to today #wwdeye ( 📷: @Eriktanner)
Now that Celine Dion’s collection has topped $10 million in sales, the pop superstar, fashion icon and newly-minted industry player is eyeing growth in Asia. Read the full report by @tiffanyap, link in bio. #wwdnews #celinedion
“My personal philosophy to beauty is paying attention to oneself. I love to be outdoors, lots of fresh air, trying to take care of yourself as best you can. I always notice that comes through,” says Felicity Jones, the global face of @shiseido-owned @cledepeaubeauteus, which launches today. Head to WWD.com to read more about the actress’ love for beauty and how she prepared for her new role in “The Basis of Sex,” playing the young Ruth Bader Ginsburg. #wwdbeauty (📷: @dandoperalski)
Among the familiar faces at @off____white’s show was a surprise figure: Japanese artist @takashipom, pictured here on Wednesday morning. Other show-goers included @jerrylorenzo, who spoke about his upcoming project: a @nike collaboration for back to school, with designs inspired by his childhood on the West Coast. Sitting in the front row were Future, Don Crawley, @miguel and more. See the rest of the photos on WWD.com #wwdeye (📷: Stephane Feugere)
According to @laurentsai, former “Terrace House: Aloha State” cast member, she didn’t know she was auditioning for the Japanese version of “Real World.” “I was telling a couple of my friends and someone’s like, ‘That sounds a lot like Terrace House.’ I was like, ’No it can’t be.’” Turns out, it was. But Tsai isn’t just a reality star — she’s an illustrator who has worked with Starbucks Japan and most recently, she’s dipping her toes into the fashion world. Head to WWD.com to read about her time on the show, modeling and her art. #wwdeye (📷: @danieldorsa)
More changes are coming to New York Fashion Week: Beginning with the spring 2019 collection, @alexanderwangny will move his New York show to June from September, adopting a biannual schedule with collections shown in June and December. Additionally, the @cfda is planning for an official summer/winter fashion season taking place as soon as June and December 2018. Read more about the upcoming changes on WWD.com. #wwdnews #wwdfashion (📷: @slovekinpics)