Investigations into the San Bernardino, Calif. shooting that left 14 dead on Wednesday are continuing as businesses quietly reopen their doors.

City and county operations were on lockdown Wednesday after a couple in their late 20s shot multiple rounds into a holiday gathering for county employees at the Inland Regional Center, leaving 14 dead and 21 wounded.

The suspects, Tashfeen Malik and Syed Rizwan Farook, were subsequently tracked down to a house the married couple had been renting in the nearby city of Redlands, where a pursuit took place that led to a shootout with police late Wednesday. About a dozen pipe bomb-type devices have since been found in the Redlands house along with an arsenal of ammunition.

Farook, a five-year San Bernardino County employee, had been in attendance at the holiday gathering and left angrily only to return with Malik, who were both armed.

San Bernardino Police Chief Jarrod Burguan confirmed at a press conference Thursday that between 65 and 75 rounds from the suspects’ rifles were fired at the Inland Regional Center and three pipe bombs, combined into a single weapon controlled by a remote control device, were also found. Additional ammunition was found in the suspects’ car following the pursuit.

A motive still remains unclear but “there appears to be a degree of planning that went into this,” Burguan told reporters.

Some of the evidence from the crime scene will be flown to the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s lab in Washington, D.C., today. “This is not your average investigation,” said David Bowdich, assistant director in charge of the FBI in Los Angeles. “We have multiple scenes. We have multiple victims and it will take time.”

San Bernardino city and county operations, dubbed non-essential, will remain shuttered today and Friday.

Security across the city and county have been stepped up, Burguan said, although there are no “credible threats” to the area.

Macerich’s Inland Center, anchored by Macy’s and Sears, shuttered its doors Wednesday and reopened today at 10 a.m. for normal operating hours.

Center officials were in close communication with law enforcement the day of the attacks, although the mall—located less than two miles from where the shootings took place—was never under any direct threat, a mall executive confirmed.

A call to a spokesperson for the Carousel Mall, roughly three miles from where the shooting took place, was not immediately returned.

Majestic Realty Co., which owns the power center Citrus Plaza and the adjacent Mountain Grove lifestyle center, declined comment. The two centers, which total a combined 1.2 million square feet with tenants such as Target and Nordstrom Rack, are located in the city of Redlands and about five miles from where Wednesday’s events initially unfolded.

Farther out from the immediate San Bernardino area, Simon Property Group’s Ontario Mills in the city of Ontario was open Thursday, although an officer in the center’s security office declined comment on whether there were heightened patrols on the property in light of the shooting.

load comments
blog comments powered by Disqus