Average shoppers daily: 35,000; up to 75,000 on peak holiday days.
Gross square feet at Herald Square: 2,169,000
• The flagship is considered the third-most-visited site in the city after the Empire State Building and the Statue of Liberty.
• The store has National Historic Landmark status.
• Designed by De Lemos & Cordes, it is lauded by critics as one of the architectural jewels of turn-of-the-century New York.
• In 1862, Macy’s is the first store to bring Santa inside to greet children. Previously he stood outside to draw crowds. Macy’s also inaugurates elaborate holiday windows that year.
• Macy’s is the first American retail store with modern-day escalators in 1902, and those original wooden escalators are still in operation at the flagship.
• At the festivities marking the 100th anniversary of the Herald Square store, actor F. Murray Abraham says his first job in New York was playing Santa at Macy’s.
• Macy’s Margaret Getchell LaForge becomes the first female retail executive in 1866.
• Macy’s is the first department store to stay open until midnight on Christmas Eve, 1867.
• In the 1890s, Macy’s pioneers the concept of private brands for fashion goods. During this decade, its Macy’s and Red Star brands are all the rage in New York.
• In 1924, Macy’s hosts the first annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, performed solely by company employees. The procession features floats, bands and animals from the zoo, and draws 10,000 onlookers.
• Macy’s introduces colored bath towels to America in 1932.
• Macy’s holds the first liquor license issued in New York City after Prohibition.
• Macy’s launches the first department store Flower Show in 1946.
• Macy’s wins its first Emmy, along with NBC, for the Thanksgiving Day Parade broadcast in 1980.
• Macy’s opens its first store outside the continental U.S., in San Juan, Puerto Rico, in 2000.
London’s newly opened @designmuseum will look back on the life and work of Azzedine Alaïa in a show that the designer helped to curate before he died of heart failure last month. The retrospective, which Alaïa had worked on with Mark Wilson, chief curator of the @groningermuseum, will look at the impact of his work worldwide. The show, “Azzedine Alaïa: The Couturier,” will run from May 10 to October 7. Read more about the exhibit on WWD.com #wwdnews #wwdfashion (📷: @zefashioninsider)
@Pharrell and his wife Helen Lasichanh were among the stars that came out to celebrate @rimowa’s first pop-up concept shop. The space, which is located on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills, draws inspiration from airport luggage carousels and lounge areas – and features the company’s luggage and accessories. If the pop-up is successful it could pave the way for addition temporary shops throughout the world. #wwdfashion (📷: Owen Kolasinski/BFA)
@carineroitfeld celebrated @crfashionbook’s first calendar last night with a dinner party at Spring Place in Manhattan. Photographed by @stevenkleinstudio, the calendar takes on a fitness theme and features @joansmalls, @gigihadid, @danielle_herrington_ – pictured here – and more. “[Carine Roitfeld] wanted me to feel sexy and she wanted me to be myself and feel it out on my own and do what I felt was right,” said Herrington, aka Miss October. #wwdeye
@saintrecords and @virgilabloh last night at @americanexpress’ “A Night With Success Makers” event. “I always bring it back to community because without that I wouldn’t have the courage,” said Knowles when asked how she has gotten where she is now. Read more highlights from their conversation on WWD.com. #wwdeye (📷: @lizdoupnik)
This Just In: Industry sources have told WWD that Anastasia Soare is rumored to be considering selling her beauty business, @anastasiabeverlyhills. According to those sources, Soare has tapped investment bank Imperial Capital to explore sale options for her eponymous beauty brand –– and with at least $340 million in net sales, this would be a big deal. Put in context of other recent transactions for makeup companies, Soare’s price tag could be in the billions if she were to sell the whole thing. #wwdnews #wwdbeauty (📷: @clint_spaulding)
@assouline’s latest book, “The Spirit of Bentley: Be Extraordinary” captures the adventurous attitudes and opulent lifestyles of @bentleymotors’ most creative owners and enthusiasts throughout the U.K. The 292-page hardcover has a section dedicated to showing its team of skilled artisans and photos of its most colorful owners, from George Bamford to designer @alicetemperley, pictured here by Aline Coquelle. #wwdeye
@google released its report on the most popular search terms this year. For fashion brands, the list was led by @gucci, the luxury brand that stunned the market last October when it pledged to stop using fur. Runner ups were @supremenewyork and @fashionnova, along with more established brands like @louisvuitton, @chanelofficial and @ysl. #wwdfashion (📷: @aitorrosasphoto)
In yet another fashion show shuffle, @elleryland is moving its show in sync with the Paris couture calendar — though the brand is still keeping one foot on the city’s ready-to-wear schedule. Their runway show in January will coincide with the launch of a new strategy: designing two main collections each year instead of four, which will then be released in four drops. “As we all know, the system needs to change. We need to show sooner to give time back to artisans and designers to do what they do best — create,” said founder Kym Ellery. #wwdnews #wwdfashion (📷: @kukukuba)
@maxmara’s classic 101801 coat was the cornerstone of its pre-fall 2018 collection. The design team expanded the traditional double-breasted, kimono-sleeved style into a trapeze coat, lean belted styles and a peacoat and presented them in monochromatic looks – like the camel one pictured here. #wwdfashion #prefall18 (📷: George Chinsee)