By  on March 8, 2005

MACY’S

The retailer opened as R.H. Macy & Co. in New York City in 1858 and in 1902 moved to its flagship in Herald Square, expanding in 1924 to become the world’s largest store. In 1994, Macy’s East joined with Boston-based A&S/Jordan Marsh to form a new division of Federated. A&S and Jordan Marsh stores converted to the Macy’s nameplate in 1995 and 1996, respectively. On the West Coast, Macy’s acquired O’Connor Moffat & Co. of San Francisco as its first Western property in 1945. The name was changed to Macy’s California in 1947. In 1988, Macy’s purchased the Bullock’s division of Federated, and it was converted to the Macy’s nameplate and incorporated into Macy’s West in 1996.

Macy’s East operates 95 stores in Connecticut, Delaware, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia and Puerto Rico. Macy’s West operates 144 stores in Arizona, California, Hawaii, Minnesota, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas and Guam.

BON MARCHE

Founded by Edward Nordhoff as a dry goods store in 1890, the Seattle-based retailer Bon Marche was named after a department store in Paris. It joined with Macy’s in August 2003, promising to deliver “the good life in the Northwest.” Bon-Macy’s operates 50 stores in the Pacific Northwest, most in the state of Washington but with smaller stores in Idaho, Montana, Oregon and Wyoming.

BURDINES

William M. Burdine and his son John opened Burdines in 1898 to sell work clothes to construction workers on the new Florida East Coast Railroad and soldiers from the Spanish-American war. Federated acquired it in 1956. In January 2004, Burdines joined with Macy’s, which had been a presence in Florida since 1980. Burdines-Macy’s operates 63 stores, all in Florida.

LAZARUS

In 1851, Simon Lazarus founded F&R Lazarus & Co. as a men’s tailor in Columbus, Ohio. It was one of the several family-owned stores that formed Federated Department Stores in 1929.Federated retailers Shillito’s of Cincinnati and Rike’s of Dayton, which merged in 1982, came under the Lazarus name in 1986. These were followed by Indianapolis-based Block’s in 1988 and Pittsburgh-based Horne’s in 1994. In March 1995, Lazarus joined with Rich’s and Goldsmith’s as a single division of Federated. In August 2003, Lazarus took the Macy’s name. Lazarus-Macy’s operates 37 stores in Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia.

RICH’S

Rich’s opened in 1867 in Atlanta as a dry-goods store owned by Morris Rich. Purchased by Federated in 1976, it was consolidated with Memphis-based Goldsmith’s in 1989 and with Lazarus in 1995 as a single division. In February 2003, Rich’s operations in the Southeast were combined with Macy’s East operations based in Atlanta. Rich’s-Macy’s operates 29 stores in Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina.

GOLDSMITH’S

The first Goldsmith’s opened on Beale Street in Memphis in 1870. Founded by German immigrant Jacob Goldsmith, it remained a family business for three generations until acquired by Federated in 1959. Goldsmith’s joined with Rich’s in 1989, and then with Lazarus in 1995 to form a single division of Federated. The Goldsmith’s nameplate was integrated with Macy’s in August of 2003. Goldsmith’s-Macy’s operates five stores, all in Tennessee.

To Read the Full Article
SUBSCRIBE NOW

Tap into our Global Network

Of Industry Leaders and Designers

load comments
blog comments powered by Disqus