Most Recent Articles In Parties
Latest Parties Articles
- A Sky-High New Muse for Brian Atwood in Dubai
- Creative Time Hosts Spring Gala in Brooklyn Navy Yard Mast Brothers Chocolate Factory
- Lela Rose and Dannijo Host Cuban Dinner With Misty Copeland, Chiwetel Ejiofor
More Articles By
WWD’s intrepid staff fanned throughout Manhattan Thursday night for Fashion’s Night Out, tweeting their way through the streets. Here, a selection of some of their observations. For a complete breakdown of the goings on in New York, see http://twitter.com/womensweardaily.
This story first appeared in the September 9, 2011 issue of WWD. Subscribe Today.
• “Macy’s is my department store home. My Fifth Avenue store is my real home,” said Tommy Hilfiger, racing from Macy’s to his Fifth Avenue flagship.
• Justin Bieber at D&G says he is interested in doing a fashion line but is focusing on his music for now. As for the purple leather jacket and his buster gray jeans, he says, “They give me clothes and I put them on.” Heading upstairs the teen sang to himself and made sure in the mirror that he wasn’t dropping trousers too much.
• “This is wonderful!” Oscar de la Renta cries amidst the mélee at Bergdorf’s, greets a teen girl waiting with a postcard for him to autograph.
• Amar’e Stoudemire enjoying FNO and fashion venture with Rachel Roy. A post-basketball career in fashion? “If it goes well.”
• Spring Street in front of Kardashian’s Dash store already closed off by police due to crowds.
• “Fashion’s Night Out exists as a day now, just like Mother’s Day or Valentine’s Day,” said DVF at her Mercer St. store.
• Sarah Jessica Parker signing Manolos for squealing fans.
• “Where is she?” “I just saw her!” Rachel Zoe arrives for #FNO at Bloomingdale’s.
• Donna Karan: “A packed schedule is what I would call it. I have four shows this week: Donna Karan, DKNY, Urban Zen and Haiti. Every free second of the day I’m doing yoga. I wish I was in a yoga class right now!”
• Pandemonium! Lea Michele and Ryan Murphy are signing T-shirts at Saks.
• “The challenge is to top what we did last year. So we’ve got 14 cameras live streaming the store on the internet.” Macy’s ceo Terry Lundgren.
• Joe Jonas, in Simon Spurr, is tempted to splurge at Saks. “I am eyeing a couple of things,” he said, pointing to the Burberry display.
• Lea no more — Saks Security is not letting people to the Glee stars anymore.
• Sofia Coppola at Marc Jacobs in SoHo, as crowds mob Jacobs himself for autographs.
• At Bergdorf’s dog fashion show, Badgley Mishcka’s dogs are wearing a wedding gown and military uniform in honor of marriage equality. Joseph Altuzarra’s, a parka.
• Kors and the Rockettes just stepped out on 49th Street.
• Michael Kors didn’t dance but struck an ending pose with the Rockettes nonetheless. “Thank you New York, have an amazing night,” he said.
• “We need to see IDs!” Said Seth Meyers, scrambling thru a mob to bartend @coach.
• Kenneth Cole: “I don’t think tonight is about sales. If tonight works then everything else will work out later.”
• Spike Jonze waits with the rest of the crowd for Miss Piggy’s arrival at Opening Ceremony.
• Miss Piggy on whether she and Kermit shop together: “No he isn’t into clothes, he almost never wears them, I tell him semi-clothed works great for you!”
And the tweets went on, into the night….