To celebrate its 10th anniversary, London-based swimwear line Melissa Odabash is planning almost as many special launches as it has years in business.
The events follow the recent hiring of Malte Griess-Nega, formerly chief financial officer of Alice Temperley, as chairman and chief executive of the company, a move focused on expanding the business.
“He’s really turning around the company,” said designer Melissa Odabash. “Just in time for all of the fun this year.”
The line, which wholesales from about $75 for a swimsuit to $325 for a dress, is carried in some 500 doors worldwide, including Bloomingdale’s, Saks Fifth Avenue and Scoop. Odabash declined to reveal the firm’s sales volume.
Anniversary projects include:
• Collaborating with 10 artists to each create an image to use on limited edition swimwear and cover-ups, for resort. Prices are still to be determined, but the proceeds will go to charities of the artists’ choice.
• Teaming with Belstaff to created limited edition leather bomber jackets and leather bikinis for resort, wholesaling from $300 to $800.
• Enlisting Julien McDonald to create a spring beach line of “glam caftans for parties” for spring. Prices and details on the collaboration are still to be determined.
• Expanding into accessories, with full lines of beach sandals, hats and beach bags, while growing the dress business in its second year, for spring. Signing a license for a self-tanner is another possibility.
• Launching the brand’s first fall-winter collection of cashmere knits and dresses for fall 2009, wholesaling from $150 to $300.
• Adding more of its own retail stores, after opening the first, in London’s Notting Hill a year ago. Within the next 18 months, the plan is to add locations in London’s Chelsea neighborhood, then Manhattan, Las Vegas and Los Angeles.
• Appearing in the newest James Bond movie, “Quantum of Solace,” with the firm’s special crystal-covered cutout one-piece swimsuits.
“My personal philosophy to beauty is paying attention to oneself. I love to be outdoors, lots of fresh air, trying to take care of yourself as best you can. I always notice that comes through,” says Felicity Jones, the global face of @shiseido-owned @cledepeaubeauteus, which launches today. Head to WWD.com to read more about the actress’ love for beauty and how she prepared for her new role in “The Basis of Sex,” playing the young Ruth Bader Ginsburg. #wwdbeauty (📷: @dandoperalski)
For men’s fall 2018, @giuseppezanotti drew on elements from streetwear, sport, biker, combat and rock ‘n’ roll. Pictured here are a pair of shoes from the collection, featuring zippers, rhinestones, and silver hardware. Head to WWD.com to see a roundup of the accessories from Milan’s men’s fall 2018 shows. #wwdfashion (📷: Andrea Delb)
To celebrate the 25th anniversary of @ralphlauren’s snowboarding collection, the brand is mining its archives. The iconic brand is reintroducing vintage styles and dropping new designs for a color capsule that will be available in Ralph Lauren stores and @openingceremony on January 25. The capsule will consist of 10 pieces, including the Snow Beach Pullover, pictured here, which is a collector’s item that rapper Raekwon wore in Wu-Tang Clan’s “Can It Be All So Simple” video. #wwdfashion (📷: Tom Gould)
For @rochasofficial’s pre-fall 2018 collection, creative director Alessandro Dell’Acqua channeled the sophisticated and intriguing Catherine Denevue in the film “Belle de Jour.” Polished collarless coats, midi skirts, suits and ’60s graphic motifs were all featured in the collection, adding a sense of discreet luxury. See the rest of the photos on WWD.com #wwdfashion
“We tried to produce clothing of that couture quality, but the most daunting part was that we only had a matter of days [to do it],” said costume designer Lou Eyrich, who recreated Gianni Versace’s iconic looks for @americancrimestoryfx. Eyrich searched online retailers and vintage shops for original pieces from the design house and for @penelopecruzoficial, who plays Donatella Versace. Head to WWD.com to read how she created the Versace world. #wwdfashion
Only three months after her stellar debut catwalk season, @kaiagerber has inked her first big design collaboration –– with @karllagerfeld. The collection blends Lagerfeld’s Parisian chic aesthetic and the model’s signature West Coast casual style via RTW, accessories, footwear and more. The #KarlLagerfeldxKaia collection will launch in September with a series of events. Get all the details on WWD.com. #wwdnews #wwdfashion
Harrods plans to remove the famous statue of Princess Diana and Dodi Al Fayed from the bottom of the Egyptian escalators and hand it back to Mohamed Al-Fayed. “We are very proud to have played our role in celebrating the lives of Diana, Princess of Wales and Dodi Al Fayed at Harrods and to have welcomed people from around the world to visit the memorial for the past 20 years,” said Michael Ward, Harrods managing director. “With the announcement of the new official memorial statue to Diana, Princess of Wales at Kensington Palace, we feel that the time is right to return this memorial to Mr. Al Fayed and for the public to be invited to pay their respects at the palace.” More on the news, with reporting by @loreleimarfil, at WWD.com. #wwdnews