NEW YORK — The aftermath of Hurricane Sandy will impact a number of events and fashion shows and presentations scheduled during this week’s fall-transitional 2013 innerwear market.
But it appears the show will go on for one major player: Victoria’s Secret.
Despite ongoing power outages in Manhattan, the lingerie powerhouse plans to send its Angels out on the runway for its annual fashion extravaganza on Wednesday at the 69th Regiment Armory with the help of a fleet of generators, said a spokeswoman. Victoria’s Secret rents the generators by the month and the company is lending their use to the National Guard in the wake of the disaster.
The spokeswoman said Friday that entertainers Rihanna, Justin Bieber and Bruno Mars are still scheduled to perform at the 4 p.m. and 8 p.m. shows.
It was unclear if an after party would still take place at Finale, a new club at Bowery and Spring Streets in Manhattan.
“There will be an after party....The whole team is working very hard to make the show and after party happen, and that speaks to the resilience of New Yorkers, which is very impressive,” said the spokeswoman.
Here, an update on several events and fashion presentations this week:
• The launch party on Monday for “Josie and the Dragon,” a new book by Josie Natori that celebrates the 35th anniversary of the Natori Co., has been canceled. The party was to have taken place at Openhouse Mulberry, an art gallery at 201 Mulberry Street in Manhattan. A later date is being planned.
However, a second “Josie and the Dragon” fete is on schedule in the Natori ready-to-wear boutique at the Saks Fifth Avenue flagship on Wednesday.
• A seminar on Monday hosted by the Intimate Apparel Council and the American Apparel & Footwear Association titled an “Innovative Peek at Intimate Apparel” has been canceled. The seminar at the Union League Club was to have been presented by Ken Walker, operating partner of innovation at Marvin Traub Associates.
• The annual HUG cocktail and dinner party will take place Wednesday at the 230 Fifth Avenue Penthouse.
• The Eres presentation at the Standard East Hotel, which was scheduled for Wednesday, has been canceled. Eres officials will have another location by mid-November.
• A cocktail party for retailers on Wednesday to celebrate the launch of the new Unbelievable Unwire bra by Warner’s at the Helen Mills event space loft has been canceled. Officials at Warnaco Group will reschedule the party in February.
A press day at the loft for the launch is still on Wednesday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Meanwhile, innerwear companies are expected to continue coping with logistical problems in the wake of the hurricane at this week’s market. A number of executives could not be reached Friday and a majority of showrooms along Madison Avenue were shuttered last week due to power outages and transportation problems. By late Friday, it was apparent that appointments with out-of-town retailers from major stores as well as specialty boutiques were being moved to the following week, or later.
Executives, including Charles Komar, chief executive officer of the Komar firm, which also owns the Carole Hochman Design Group, acknowledged that a number of retailers had canceled appointments this week with some rescheduling for the following week. The stores include Nordstrom, J.C. Penney, Bon-Ton, Van Maur, Fred Meyer, Hautelook and Boutique Fashions.
Breaking News: @louisvuitton's men's artistic director @mrkimjones is leaving the French fashion house after nearly 7 years. Jones joined Louis Vuitton in 2011, following a three year tenure as creative director of British luxury goods brand Alfred Dunhill. Jones is to exit Louis Vuitton after showing his fall 2018 collection for the brand in Paris on Thursday. Read the full exclusive story on WWD.com. Link in bio. #wwdnews #wwdfashion
For men’s fall 2018, @giuseppezanotti drew on elements from streetwear, sport, biker, combat and rock ‘n’ roll. Pictured here are a pair of shoes from the collection, featuring zippers, rhinestones, and silver hardware. Head to WWD.com to see a roundup of the accessories from Milan’s men’s fall 2018 shows. #wwdfashion (📷: Andrea Delb)
To celebrate the 25th anniversary of @ralphlauren’s snowboarding collection, the brand is mining its archives. The iconic brand is reintroducing vintage styles and dropping new designs for a color capsule that will be available in Ralph Lauren stores and @openingceremony on January 25. The capsule will consist of 10 pieces, including the Snow Beach Pullover, pictured here, which is a collector’s item that rapper Raekwon wore in Wu-Tang Clan’s “Can It Be All So Simple” video. #wwdfashion (📷: Tom Gould)
For @rochasofficial’s pre-fall 2018 collection, creative director Alessandro Dell’Acqua channeled the sophisticated and intriguing Catherine Denevue in the film “Belle de Jour.” Polished collarless coats, midi skirts, suits and ’60s graphic motifs were all featured in the collection, adding a sense of discreet luxury. See the rest of the photos on WWD.com #wwdfashion
“We tried to produce clothing of that couture quality, but the most daunting part was that we only had a matter of days [to do it],” said costume designer Lou Eyrich, who recreated Gianni Versace’s iconic looks for @americancrimestoryfx. Eyrich searched online retailers and vintage shops for original pieces from the design house and for @penelopecruzoficial, who plays Donatella Versace. Head to WWD.com to read how she created the Versace world. #wwdfashion
Only three months after her stellar debut catwalk season, @kaiagerber has inked her first big design collaboration –– with @karllagerfeld. The collection blends Lagerfeld’s Parisian chic aesthetic and the model’s signature West Coast casual style via RTW, accessories, footwear and more. The #KarlLagerfeldxKaia collection will launch in September with a series of events. Get all the details on WWD.com. #wwdnews #wwdfashion
Harrods plans to remove the famous statue of Princess Diana and Dodi Al Fayed from the bottom of the Egyptian escalators and hand it back to Mohamed Al-Fayed. “We are very proud to have played our role in celebrating the lives of Diana, Princess of Wales and Dodi Al Fayed at Harrods and to have welcomed people from around the world to visit the memorial for the past 20 years,” said Michael Ward, Harrods managing director. “With the announcement of the new official memorial statue to Diana, Princess of Wales at Kensington Palace, we feel that the time is right to return this memorial to Mr. Al Fayed and for the public to be invited to pay their respects at the palace.” More on the news, with reporting by @loreleimarfil, at WWD.com. #wwdnews