PARIS — Expanding its presence in the French capital, Berluti said it would open a boutique at 9 Rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré, ultimately bringing its Paris store count to four.
Spread over three floors and some 5,400 square feet, the unit is slated to open in the second half of 2013 and feature a dedicated area for bespoke shoes, as well as its new lines of ready-to-wear, leather goods and accessories.
It takes over a location currently occupied by Façonnable, and a stone’s throw from the Paris flagships of Lanvin and Hermès.
Also on Wednesday, Berluti, owned by LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton, said it had acquired the elite bootmaking atelier of Anthony Delos to create its made-to-measure shoes. Last year, Delos, 34, won a prestigious award known as Meilleurs Ouvriers de France, for craft abilities, sponsored by the French Ministry of Labour.
Based in Les Rosiers-sur-Loire, which is southwest of Paris, the atelier employs five people and received the Entreprise du Patrimoine Vivant (or Living Heritage Company) distinction from the French Ministry of the Economy, Industry and Employment.
The bootmaker acquisition echoes the LVMH brand’s purchase last June of French men’s firm Arnys with the intention of applying its expertise in made-to-measure suits — along with a prime retail site at 14 Rue de Sèvres — to support Berluti’s expansion drive and ambitions as a luxury lifestyle label for men.
That Left Bank unit is slated to open in mid-2013, according to a spokeswoman. The brand also operates boutiques on Boulevard Saint-Germain and Rue Marbeuf. She characterized the Faubourg as a “different area” with more international exposure that attracts “connoisseurs from all over the world.”
Antoine Arnault, chief executive officer of Berluti, said the Faubourg opening “marks an important milestone in the development of our brand and will help further enhance its visibility and the excitement around the work we are doing. It is also a return to the roots of our brand, as the new store is only a few steps from the Rue du Mont-Thabor where Torello Berluti opened a store in 1928.”
Façonnable said it would vacate the Faubourg site in December and concentrate on its two other Paris stores while it considers “a new boutique location in the heart of the Paris capital.”
Harrods plans to remove the famous statue of Princess Diana and Dodi Al Fayed from the bottom of the Egyptian escalators and hand it back to Mohamed Al-Fayed. “We are very proud to have played our role in celebrating the lives of Diana, Princess of Wales and Dodi Al Fayed at Harrods and to have welcomed people from around the world to visit the memorial for the past 20 years,” said Michael Ward, Harrods managing director. “With the announcement of the new official memorial statue to Diana, Princess of Wales at Kensington Palace, we feel that the time is right to return this memorial to Mr. Al Fayed and for the public to be invited to pay their respects at the palace.” More on the news, with reporting by @loreleimarfil, at WWD.com. #wwdnews
@prada is introducing a new project at its men’s fall 2018 show this Sunday: “Prada Invites.” The fashion house invited four celebrated creative minds – @ronanaerwanbouroullec, Konstantin Grcic, @herzogdemeuron and @rem.koolhaas – to each create a unique item with its iconic nylon material. The designs will be unveiled on the runway show, which will take place at the company’s warehouse in Viale Ortles 25. #wwdfashion #mfwm (📷: @martinocarrera)
@kering_official is spinning off its stake in puma in an effort to focus on its luxury brands, the brand operator announced yesterday. “We are proud to have supported the turnaround of Puma, which now has unrivaled capabilities to take full advantage of the specific dynamics of its global markets and is poised to achieve substantial growth,” said François-Henri Pinault, Kering’s chief executive officer and chairman. Artémis will become a “long-term strategic shareholder” of Puma with a 29 percent stake. #wwdnews #wwdfashion (📷: @jilliansollazzo)
The fashion world mourns for celebrated street style photographer, Nabile Quenum, who died at age 32 in Paris.
Quenum, creator of the fashion blog “J’ai Perdu Ma Veste,” was a fashion week fixture, and regularly shot for New York magazine’s The Cut, among other outlets, and brands such as Louis Vuitton, Moncler and Adidas. He was also actively involved in the #NoFreePhotos initiative, which kicked off in the fall. Read more about Quenum in @kbsmoke's story on WWD.com. #wwdnews
@verwanggang and @maisonladuree have teamed up on a dessert collab called Vera Wang Pour Ladurée. The collection, which launched this week, features a specialty macaroon, as well as a wedding cake inspired by one of the designer’s gowns. “I could not imagine a more delicate or sophisticated creation to grace any couple’s celebration,” said Wang. #wwdfashion