NEW YORK — Now that designer Jeffrey Monteiro and the rest of the staff behind Bill Blass’ women’s collection have been dismissed, the label’s future is once again in flux.
The team was let go last week after learning that the company’s Sept. 11 show here at the Union League Club had been canceled. Peacock International Holdings, which bought the American sportswear brand in 2008, broke the news to staff members Thursday in its Fifth Avenue offices. Scott Patti, president of the Bill Blass Group, first dismissed Monteiro, who in turn spoke with his staff. Patti later spoke with employees one-by-one, and told them they were “free to go,” according to one former Blass employee. There was no explanation or mention of severance packages, the former staffer said.
Patti on Monday deferred comment to a spokesman for the brand.
“We are going to take a break this season and not show the women’s collection. We are very happy with the editorial and all of the licenses are in place,” the spokesman said. “We are going to reevaluate and make an announcement in the near term.”
Fall deliveries of the Bill Blass women’s collection will not be affected and the label has not decided whether a spring line will be produced, according to the spokesman.
With 90 percent of the spring 2013 collection completed and about $250,000 worth of Italian fabrics in the company’s Fifth Avenue offices, staffers were surprised by the decision to cancel the show. Stylist George Cortina, whose day job is fashion director for Japanese Vogue, had already been paid in full, one source said. The venue, the Union League Club, had also been secured, as had the production company and Paul Wilmot Communications, the former staffer said.
Monteiro, who stopped creating his own signature label last year, had earned approving reviews in recent seasons. The Bill Blass women’s collection was sold in about 25 stores internationally, with the addition of Lord & Taylor being a recent coup. But production costs proved to be problematic, according to the former staffer. A few months ago, rather than invest in buying more fabric to fulfill increased orders, the company opted to work with what was already in-house and to only produce the styles that were being made for Lord & Taylor, the displaced worker said. As a result, a number of stores decided to cancel their orders. In addition, an outside consultant was hired in May to review the business.
Bill Blass Ltd. has seen significant turmoil over the past decade. Three years before Blass’ death in 2002, he sold Bill Blass Ltd. for $50 million to Michael Groveman in 1999. Steve Slowik was the first designer to succeed Blass before being let go. Next in line was the Swedish designer Lars Nilsson, who handled design from 2001 through part of 2003, before being fired the day after his show. Michael Vollbracht, who had known Blass, succeeded him but left in 2007. Around that time, the company was acquired by NexCen Brands through a $54.6 million cash and stock acquisition. Peter Som was named designer of the women’s collection in the summer of 2007, but he headed for the door the following year when the women’s label was last suspended.
“What he has done at Vuitton is really exceptional,” said @gameofthrones’ actress Gwendoline Christie on @mrkimjones’ final show for @louisvuitton. “He has rebooted luxury in terms of making it commercial, viable and contemporary. And most importantly artistic. He has never compromised his artistic vision for the sake of commodity.” (📷: @zefashioninsider)
After seeing a demand for men’s wear from its customers, British contemporary women’s wear label @ariesarise has added a men’s wear component and will launch a unisex collection with @mrporterlive. The 20-piece collection includes jackets, denim, logo T-shirts and more with deconstructed ‘90s vibes. Set to launch on January 18, you can shop the pieces on Aries’ website and on mrporter.com. #wwdfashion
“And so spending so much time with a character who thinks like that, inevitability you try and analyze yourself and go back and think about your own demons and dark chapters that you had in your life,” says @thedanielbruhl of his role in TNT’s “The Alienist.” The show, set in the Gilded Age of New York, also stars Dakota Fanning and Luke Evans. Head to WWD.com to read about how 39-year-old Brühl prepared for the role and why he thinks the show is so relevant to today #wwdeye ( 📷: @Eriktanner)
Now that Celine Dion’s collection has topped $10 million in sales, the pop superstar, fashion icon and newly-minted industry player is eyeing growth in Asia. Read the full report by @tiffanyap, link in bio. #wwdnews #celinedion
“My personal philosophy to beauty is paying attention to oneself. I love to be outdoors, lots of fresh air, trying to take care of yourself as best you can. I always notice that comes through,” says Felicity Jones, the global face of @shiseido-owned @cledepeaubeauteus, which launches today. Head to WWD.com to read more about the actress’ love for beauty and how she prepared for her new role in “The Basis of Sex,” playing the young Ruth Bader Ginsburg. #wwdbeauty (📷: @dandoperalski)
Among the familiar faces at @off____white’s show was a surprise figure: Japanese artist @takashipom, pictured here on Wednesday morning. Other show-goers included @jerrylorenzo, who spoke about his upcoming project: a @nike collaboration for back to school, with designs inspired by his childhood on the West Coast. Sitting in the front row were Future, Don Crawley, @miguel and more. See the rest of the photos on WWD.com #wwdeye (📷: Stephane Feugere)
According to @laurentsai, former “Terrace House: Aloha State” cast member, she didn’t know she was auditioning for the Japanese version of “Real World.” “I was telling a couple of my friends and someone’s like, ‘That sounds a lot like Terrace House.’ I was like, ’No it can’t be.’” Turns out, it was. But Tsai isn’t just a reality star — she’s an illustrator who has worked with Starbucks Japan and most recently, she’s dipping her toes into the fashion world. Head to WWD.com to read about her time on the show, modeling and her art. #wwdeye (📷: @danieldorsa)
More changes are coming to New York Fashion Week: Beginning with the spring 2019 collection, @alexanderwangny will move his New York show to June from September, adopting a biannual schedule with collections shown in June and December. Additionally, the @cfda is planning for an official summer/winter fashion season taking place as soon as June and December 2018. Read more about the upcoming changes on WWD.com. #wwdnews #wwdfashion (📷: @slovekinpics)