LONDON — Giles Deacon is ramping up business, with a new production and distribution deal he hopes will quadruple the sales of his label and give him a broader international reach.
Deacon, one of London’s most critically acclaimed designers, has inked a deal with Castor Srl, the Mantova, Italy-based manufacturer that launched and produced 6267 until last year.
“At a certain point, we took a step back and asked ourselves: ‘What do we want this business to be?’ Deacon told WWD on Monday. “The answer was a big business, with on-time deliveries, proper pre-collections, and a bigger distribution network.”
Deacon said he expects turnover to rise from just over 1 million pounds, or $1.52 million, to 3 million to 4 million pounds, or $4.5 million to $6 million, in the medium term. All figures have been calculated at current exchange.
He said the plan is to expand his overall collection and increase distribution from about 38 stores to 120 to 140 stores. Current wholesale clients include Barneys New York, Harvey Nichols, Dover Street Market and Luisa via Roma. He is also in talks with Castor’s Picozzi family to take a minority stake in his label “within the year,” he said.
Deacon and Castor have already begun working together, and their first collection will be resort, which launches at the end of June. He said up to 90 percent of the collection will be made by the Italian company, with the remaining 10 percent — mostly runway pieces — coming from his London studio. Until now, Deacon has been producing the collection in-house in Italy, France and the U.K., and wrestling with the usual cash flow and manufacturing issues of small, self-financed designers.
Angela Picozzi, whose family owns and runs Castor, said Deacon was a natural choice: “We love his style, his taste — and his personality. Ours is not a 9-to-5 job: This business is part of the fabric of our lives, and Giles is a lovely person to be working with,” she said.
Picozzi added since the partnership with 6267 ended last year, the company had been hunting for a new designer. Castor also manufactures and distributes a collection for the Milanese designer Gabriele Colangelo, and produces an in-house line called Mantu’, designed by Gigi Vezzola. “We’re a small company, but we’re very committed to our product, and we do so much of our work by hand. Since our relationship with 6267 ended, we felt there was still huge potential for us, and went looking for new talent,” she said.
Castor is no stranger to the complexities of constructing luxury clothing: The company makes prototypes for such companies as Chanel, Aquascutum and Valentino.
From overseeing America’s fastest-growing speciality retailers to codifying cool, WWD talked to the women who are leading the way for the future of beauty. Check out our Instagram Stories to see how these women built today and are creating tomorrow. (📸: @hannah_khymych) #wwdbeauty
For @laperlalingerie's spring 2018 show, the brand chose to host their event at @thevenetianmacao. With Chinese megastars @bingbing_fan and @hubing in attendance, La Perla debuted a rock ‘n’ roll-inspired collection. The show marked the start of Sands Macao Fashion Week, which runs from October 19 to 24 — the city’s first such event. Pictured here are models backstage with glimmering eyes. #wwdfashion (📷: Cheuk-Yin To)
Trending for spring 2018: top stitch design. Gone are the days of stitch just for seams — designers are using the once-minimal detail to create strong decorative elements. (📷: Paola Testa; Styled by @andrew_shang) #wwdfashion
@tradesy is turning the concept of a showroom upside down with its new space in Santa Monica. Here, the company plans to hold events, art exhibits and a showcase rare fashion pieces like this Louis Vuitton boxing set. Get all the details on Tradesy’s first showroom on WWD.com. #wwdnews
Spotted last night at the @erdem x @hm launch event: Kate Bosworth, Rashida Jones, Kirsten Dunst and Selma Blair. The party, which took place in LA, also marked the opening of their pop-up shop. “I was interested in creating a collection that wasn’t in any way disposable. It was about pieces you’d create and keep forever, things that have a permanence to it,” designer Erdem Moralioglu said. #wwdeye (📷: Katie Jones)
Renee Zellweger in yellow in 2001 and again in 2017. Chosen as one of the 12 @pantone Leading Spring Colors (and dubbed “Meadowlark”), it only makes sense that the bright hue stands the test of time and is making a resurgence this season, seen already on stars like @blakelively and @gigihadid. (📷: Donato Sardello & @rexfeatures) #wwdfashion #tbt
Dior’s 70th anniversary celebration continues with a new exhibition at the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto. “Christian Dior,” which is scheduled to run through March 18, takes a look at the founders tenure from 1947 to 1057 and feature 40 designs. Pictured here is an evening gown from the Ailée, fall 1948-49 haute couture collection. #wwdfashion (📷: Brian Boyle)