By  on February 24, 2014

PARIS — Felipe Oliveira Baptista is suspending his ready-to-wear line for an undetermined period of time, the label said.

“Séverineand I decided to take time off to think about the future of ourcollaboration and brand and reevaluate its structure and existence,”Baptista said, referring to Séverine Oliveira Baptista, with whom hecreated the brand in 2003 after winning the Festival d’Hyères’ grandprix in 2002.

Baptista continued: “We will most likely ventureinto another design or creative field. We would like to thank everyonewho has supported and has worked with us over these extremely rich andfantastic 10 years.…It is a well-thought-out and positive decision. It’sthe end of a chapter, not the book.”

His show, which had been scheduled for Wednesday at 2 p.m., had been canceled, as reported on WWD.com.

Baptistashowed on the Paris couture calendar between 2005 and 2009, and on itsrtw calendar from 2009 to 2013. Meanwhile, the designer alsocollaborated with other labels.

In 2010, Baptista was appointed creative director of Lacoste.

Baptistais the latest French designer to suspend his label, indicating thepitfalls for small, independent designers. Anne Valérie Hash saidearlier this month that she would skip the fall season and not showduring Paris Fashion Week. Her decision followed that of Martine Sitbon,who said last September that she would take a sabbatical for at least ayear and suspend her Rue du Mail label.

To Read the Full Article
SUBSCRIBE NOW

Tap into our Global Network

Of Industry Leaders and Designers

load comments
blog comments powered by Disqus