WWD.com/fashion-news/designer-luxury/felipe-oliveira-baptista-halts-collection-7503620/
government-trade
government-trade

Felipe Oliveira Baptista Halts Collection

The designer is suspending his ready-to-wear line for an undetermined period of time, the label said.

PARIS — Felipe Oliveira Baptista is suspending his ready-to-wear line for an undetermined period of time, the label said.

This story first appeared in the February 24, 2014 issue of WWD.  Subscribe Today.

“Séverine and I decided to take time off to think about the future of our collaboration and brand and reevaluate its structure and existence,” Baptista said, referring to Séverine Oliveira Baptista, with whom he created the brand in 2003 after winning the Festival d’Hyères’ grand prix in 2002.

Baptista continued: “We will most likely venture into another design or creative field. We would like to thank everyone who has supported and has worked with us over these extremely rich and fantastic 10 years.…It is a well-thought-out and positive decision. It’s the end of a chapter, not the book.”

His show, which had been scheduled for Wednesday at 2 p.m., had been canceled, as reported on WWD.com.

Baptista showed on the Paris couture calendar between 2005 and 2009, and on its rtw calendar from 2009 to 2013. Meanwhile, the designer also collaborated with other labels.

In 2010, Baptista was appointed creative director of Lacoste.

Baptista is the latest French designer to suspend his label, indicating the pitfalls for small, independent designers. Anne Valérie Hash said earlier this month that she would skip the fall season and not show during Paris Fashion Week. Her decision followed that of Martine Sitbon, who said last September that she would take a sabbatical for at least a year and suspend her Rue du Mail label.