TOKYO — Fung Brands and Sonia Rykiel said Thursday they are in exclusive talks for a deal that would see Fung Brands acquire 80 percent of the Rykiel business, leaving the Rykiel family with a 20 percent stake. Financial terms were not disclosed.
A spokeswoman said discussions should be completed in the “coming days or weeks, depending on legal or administrative steps.”
Nathalie Rykiel, Sonia’s daughter and the current managerial head of the brand, will be named vice chairman of the board of the French fashion house after the deal.
Fung Brands Ltd. is a subsidiary of Fung Capital Ltd., the investment arm of the families of Hong Kong-based Victor Fung and William Fung, who separately control the Li & Fung Group.
Jean-Marc Loubier, formerly of Celine, Louis Vuitton and Escada, is the president and chief executive officer of Fung Brands Ltd. Since it was founded last year, Fung Brands has acquired majority stakes in French shoe brand Robert Clergerie and Belgian leather goods concern Delvaux. The future of Sonia Rykiel had come into question recently. Last summer, Rykiel mandated Edmond de Rothschild Corporate Finance to study the possibility of selling a minority stake in the family-owned house in order to speed its expansion.
Sonia Rykiel posted sales of 89.6 million euros, or $118.9 million, in 2010, roughly flat versus the previous year, Sonia Rykiel said last year.
On Thursday, Nathalie Rykiel stated that the Fung deal would ensure the longevity of the brand and “allow it to successfully develop in new markets respectful of its identity.”
In September, Sonia Rykiel named April Crichton creative director of its main fashion line. A graduate of Central Saint Martins in London, Crichton worked alongside the house founder and helped to develop the secondary Sonia by Sonia Rykiel line.
Prior to Crichton’s appointment, Nathalie and Sonia Rykiel had been in charge of the house’s fashion direction since the departure of Gabrielle Greiss in 2009, after less than 18 months at the helm.
From overseeing America’s fastest-growing speciality retailers to codifying cool, WWD talked to the women who are leading the way for the future of beauty. Check out our Instagram Stories to see how these women built today and are creating tomorrow. (📸: @hannah_khymych) #wwdbeauty
For @laperlalingerie's spring 2018 show, the brand chose to host their event at @thevenetianmacao. With Chinese megastars @bingbing_fan and @hubing in attendance, La Perla debuted a rock ‘n’ roll-inspired collection. The show marked the start of Sands Macao Fashion Week, which runs from October 19 to 24 — the city’s first such event. Pictured here are models backstage with glimmering eyes. #wwdfashion (📷: Cheuk-Yin To)
Trending for spring 2018: top stitch design. Gone are the days of stitch just for seams — designers are using the once-minimal detail to create strong decorative elements. (📷: Paola Testa; Styled by @andrew_shang) #wwdfashion
@tradesy is turning the concept of a showroom upside down with its new space in Santa Monica. Here, the company plans to hold events, art exhibits and a showcase rare fashion pieces like this Louis Vuitton boxing set. Get all the details on Tradesy’s first showroom on WWD.com. #wwdnews
Spotted last night at the @erdem x @hm launch event: Kate Bosworth, Rashida Jones, Kirsten Dunst and Selma Blair. The party, which took place in LA, also marked the opening of their pop-up shop. “I was interested in creating a collection that wasn’t in any way disposable. It was about pieces you’d create and keep forever, things that have a permanence to it,” designer Erdem Moralioglu said. #wwdeye (📷: Katie Jones)
Renee Zellweger in yellow in 2001 and again in 2017. Chosen as one of the 12 @pantone Leading Spring Colors (and dubbed “Meadowlark”), it only makes sense that the bright hue stands the test of time and is making a resurgence this season, seen already on stars like @blakelively and @gigihadid. (📷: Donato Sardello & @rexfeatures) #wwdfashion #tbt
Dior’s 70th anniversary celebration continues with a new exhibition at the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto. “Christian Dior,” which is scheduled to run through March 18, takes a look at the founders tenure from 1947 to 1057 and feature 40 designs. Pictured here is an evening gown from the Ailée, fall 1948-49 haute couture collection. #wwdfashion (📷: Brian Boyle)