Most Recent Articles In Designer and Luxury
Latest Designer and Luxury Articles
- Braxton Miller Preps for NFL Draft in Philipp Plein
- Facetime With Halston’s Marie Mazelis
- Agent Provocateur Taps New CEO From Dior Homme
More Articles By
1983 First fashion show, held at the Regency Hotel. The next morning, Ivana Trump came to the showroom and ordered seven coats.
This story first appeared in the February 12, 2013 issue of WWD. Subscribe Today.
1984 First “celebrity coat” designed for Zsa Zsa Gabor.
1986 First personal appearance at Martha on Park Avenue.
1989 Elizabeth Taylor becomes a client.
1991 A Basso creation appears on the cover of WWD for the first time.
1992 Signs first licensing agreement with TCJC for QVC.
1993 First QVC show. In one hour, $350,000 worth of merchandise sells, breaking QVC’s fashion record.
1995 Designs several fur wraps for Hillary Rodham Clinton to wear during an official tour of Asia.
• Hosts a private dinner for Hillary Rodham Clinton at which Johnny Cash sings.
1996 Ivana Trump is finale for fashion show at the Pierre.
1997 Joan Rivers is finale for fashion show at the Metropolitan Club.
1998 Eartha Kitt is finale for fashion show.
1999 Presents a fashion show at the Crillon Hotel in Paris, hosted by Princess Ira von Furstenberg.
• Patti LaBelle is finale for fashion show in New York.
2000 Natalie Cole is finale for fashion show. A dinner honoring the star, at which she sings, is held at the Rainbow Room.
• Hosts lunch for Hillary Rodham Clinton during her Senate race.
2001 Joan Collins is finale for fashion show. Dinner follows at Le Cirque.
2002 Liza Minnelli is finale for fashion show.
• Designs white mink coat for Liza Minnelli to wear at her wedding.
• Inducted into the Council of Fashion Designers of America.
• Boutique opens at The Little Nell Resort in Aspen, Colo.
2003 Basso’s 20th anniversary show held at Cipriani 42nd Street. Diana Ross is finale, and dinner for 700 follows.
• Flagship opens on Madison Avenue. Opening night party is hosted by Rena Sindi, Marjorie Gubelmann and Jeff Klein.
2004 Designs white mink coat for Star Jones’ wedding.
2005 Chicago store opens.
• Maggie Rizer is featured in an ad campaign costarring an elephant.
2006 Basso holds his first show at the Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week tents in Bryant Park and launches ready-to-wear.
• Designs fur coats for “The Devil Wears Prada,” worn by Meryl Streep throughout the film.
2007 Moves operations to a 30,000-square-foot facility in Long Island City. The space includes manufacturing, offices and the design studio.
2008 Tiger J becomes the exclusive manufacturer of all QVC merchandise.
2009 Basso receives the Ambassador of the Year Award at QVC.
• Shows collection at Badrutt’s Palace Hotel in Saint Mortiz.
• Boutique opens at Harrods in London, feted by a dinner for 250 hosted by Rena Sindi, Serena Boardman and Tamara Beckwith.
2010 Boutiques open in Vail, Colo., and at Tsum in Moscow.
2011 Launches exclusive line of bridal dresses at Kleinfeld in New York.
• Marries partner of 20 years, Michael Cominotto.
2012 The Dennis Basso fragrance launches exclusively on QVC, licensed to Cloudbreak Group.
• Coco Rocha is tapped as the face for Basso’s fall ads.
• A shoe collaboration launches with Pour la Victoire for spring 2013.
2013 The company marks its 30th anniversary in business.