TOKYO — Recession notwithstanding, two more fashion brands are plotting to expand their businesses in Japan — albeit in different ways.
Lanvin is preparing to launch a women’s version of its young, casual men’s wear brand, Lanvin en Bleu, with local partner Itochu Corp. Meanwhile, Kate Spade LLC has just inked a deal for a joint venture with Sanei International.
The new Lanvin collection, which will launch next spring, targets women in their 30s. Like its men’s wear counterpart, it will be a Japan-only endeavor.
Itochu plans to open 10 shops in department stores and other shopping destinations within the first year and reach 30 in five years.
Itochu said it expects the Lanvin en Bleu women’s collection to post annual sales of 1 billion yen, or $10.1 million, in the first year and 4.5 billion yen, or $45.5 million, in five years. The collection, which will consist of both apparel and accessories, will hit price points ranging from 20,000 yen, or $202, to 50,000 yen, or $505.
As for Kate Spade, the New York-based company is strengthening its ties to its long-standing Japanese partner Sanei International. The two parties are forming a joint venture to manage Kate Spade’s business in Japan. Sanei will hold a 51 percent stake in the new company, Kate Spade Japan, while Kate Spade LLC will control the remaining 49 percent. The new company will be operational as of Sept. 1.
Sanei, which has been Kate Spade’s Japanese licensee since 1996, said the accessories brand’s business has been strong here. The two parties want to form a more stable partnership for future growth and make “aggressive investments,” the Japanese company said.
Sanei said it is aiming to reach a medium to long-term retail sales target of 9 billion yen, or $90.9 million, from its current level of 5 billion yen, or $50.5 million. Projects include the refurbishment of Kate Spade’s Aoyama store, set to reopen in October, and the launch of Kate Spade apparel sales at select stores in Japan.
Meanwhile, after signing with Taejin International last December, Kate Spade’s Korean distribution is also moving forward. The group recently opened Spade’s first two shop-in-shop locations in Seoul in the Lotte Main and Lotte Jamsil department stores.
Taking the final spot on the mens’ portion of New York Fashion Week calendar next month will be none other than @tomford. Though he’s shown his men’s wear in New York in the past, this will mark the first time the designer has shown his men’s collection alone during New York Fashion Week: Men’s. His runway show will debut on February 6 at the Park Avenue Armory. #wwdfashion
London-based couture house @ralphandrusso has certainly been in the spotlight, having its dresses worn by @beyonce, Angelina Jolie, Meghan Markle in her engagement photos and more. For couture, Tamara Ralph focused on ornamentation — think: feathers with chain mail, jet embroidery and clusters of pearls and crystals. See the rest of the collection on WWD.com #wwdfashion #couture (📷: @giovanni_giannoni_photo)
Minnie Mouse celebrated her 90th birthday by getting her own star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. For her celebratory luncheon, @coach’s creative director @stuartvevers dressed her in a custom made prairie dress, complete with Vever’s take on the polka dot – black sequined versions – under a cropped motorcycle jacket. The designer also put his own mark on Minnie’s classic red shoes, infusing the color with sparkles and adding some Coach crystals. “We chose colors that were very Minnie and also represented quintessential Coach elements,” said Vevers. #wwdfashion #nationalpolkadotday (📷: George Chinsee)
@nickjonas is unveiling his first-ever apparel collection through a partnership with John Varvatos. The limited-edition capsule, which makes its debut in spring, also marks the first time the designer has collaborated with anyone on a line. “The process in working with Nick is amazing. It’s inspiring to be around someone who is not only connected with the trade that they do, but also with what’s happening in the environment around him, and how that connects to what we do with style,” said Varvatos. (RG: @johnvarvatos) #wwdfashion
@margotrobbie steps out onto the red carpet wearing @miumiu. The actress is nominated for “Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role” in “I, Tonya” at the #SagAwards. (📷: Stewart Cook) #wwdfashion
For @massimogiorgetti of @msgm, the Nineties are his favorite decade. “They had a huge impact on my personal growth. What I like of the Nineties is that they are not so precise in terms of style as other decades…there was actually a bit of everything,” he said. As seen on MSGM’s Spring 2018 show: tie-dye and a bit of grunge, two styles that are synonymous with the decade #wwdfashion #wwddecades (📷: @kukukuba)