Most Recent Articles In Designer and Luxury
Latest Designer and Luxury Articles
- Jérôme Dreyfuss Opens First London Store in Mayfair
- Marzotto Lawyers Seek Acquittal
- Versace Ups Presence in Japan
More Articles By
Nicolas isn’t headed to Louis Vuitton just yet.
This story first appeared in the October 11, 2013 issue of WWD. Subscribe Today.
Despite frenzied rumors all over the Internet on Thursday that Nicolas Ghesquière had been named the new creative director at Vuitton, a spokesman for LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton firmly denied it. “Nothing has been decided,” the spokesman told WWD.
Ghesquière is seen as the front-runner to succeed Marc Jacobs, who served as the brand’s creative director for 16 years. As reported, Jacobs’ contract expires at the end of the year and he is stepping down to focus on his own brand with the goal of having an initial public offering within three years.
Asked earlier this month right before Jacobs’ last show at Vuitton about the Ghesquière rumors, Bernard Arnault, LVMH’s chairman and chief executive officer, said, “No decision is done. We have to, after the show, think and decide. But no decision will be made immediately.”
Speculation that Ghesquière would end up at Vuitton began almost immediately after the designer exited the Kering-owned Balenciaga in November. Since then, Ghesquière has kept a relatively low profile, although he did give an interview in the London-based fashion magazine System. The 30-page feature caused Balenciaga to sue Ghesquière in French court for breach of contract, claiming his agreement barred the designer from making any comments that would harm Balenciaga or its parent company. The suit is seeking damages of 7 million euros, or $9.1 million. Lawyers for Ghesquière have until Oct. 15 to prepare counter arguments to fend off the suit.