LONDON — Mulberry Group is poised to enter a new chapter as it hunts for a chief executive officer as well as a creative director, and observers insist it should turn back time and revive former strategies.
On Thursday, the company said that Bruno Guillon was stepping down as ceo with immediate effect after two tumultuous years.
Guillon’s tenure was marred by multiple profit warnings — the most recent of which was in January — the resignation of creative director Emma Hill, and the collapse of the company’s share price.
Mulberry shares, which are listed on the London Stock Exchange, have slumped by about 65 percent on an adjusted basis since Guillon arrived at the company. On Thursday, they closed up 5.5 percent to 6.72 pounds, or $11.16, following the news of his departure.
Mulberry is majority owned by Challice Ltd., a company controlled by Ong Beng Seng and Christina Ong. They own 56.2 percent, while the rest is listed on the AIM division of the LSE.
Godfrey Davis, currently the group’s non-executive chairman and previously its ceo, will become executive chairman until a successor for Guillon is found.
Guillon, formerly managing director of Hermès France, took up his role in March 2012, and during his tenure sought to take Mulberry upmarket with higher prices and to build it into an international name that could compete with the big luxury brands.
The company declined further comment about its future on Thursday, but industry sources said Mulberry needs to unravel Guillon’s work.
An industry source close to Mulberry said the company should try to convince Hill and Georgia Fendley, Mulberry’s former brand director, to return. “Get Emma and Georgia back, watch the brand rediscover its identity and let the stock price recover,” said the source, who asked not to be identified.
Hill’s last collection was for spring 2014, and she has been pursuing personal projects since leaving Mulberry last year. She spent six years at the brand, and sources said she left because of disagreements with management over creative and operational strategy. Fendley also left last year to focus on her branding and creative agency, Construct London.
Luca Solca, managing director of global luxury goods at Exane BNP Paribas, told WWD: “The problem at Mulberry has been an ill-conceived and badly executed attempt to drive the brand to a higher price point. The truth is that Mulberry was very successful in the accessible and aspirational price segment, but could never make it in the high end, as it was not credible from a content and heritage point of view. What Mulberry has learned from the experience is that it is not enough to hire a ceo from Hermès to change its brand DNA.”
Solca added that Mulberry should “go back to its roots and price where it is credible and desirable to consumers. Megabrands moving upmarket are creating a significant price umbrella and a very interesting opportunity for the likes of Mulberry to exploit; think Michael Kors, Kate Spade, Tory Burch and Longchamp. This is very much where Mulberry should play.”
In January, Mulberry said that sales for the year ending March 31 will likely be flat against last year’s 165 million pounds, or $273.6 million. It pinned the blame on lower-than-expected U.K. retail sales — a result of tough pre-Christmas trading conditions — and wholesale order cancellations from South Korea, which accounts for 20 percent of its wholesale business.
“My personal philosophy to beauty is paying attention to oneself. I love to be outdoors, lots of fresh air, trying to take care of yourself as best you can. I always notice that comes through,” says Felicity Jones, the global face of @shiseido-owned @cledepeaubeauteus, which launches today. Head to WWD.com to read more about the actress’ love for beauty and how she prepared for her new role in “The Basis of Sex,” playing the young Ruth Bader Ginsburg. #wwdbeauty (📷: @dandoperalski)
For men’s fall 2018, @giuseppezanotti drew on elements from streetwear, sport, biker, combat and rock ‘n’ roll. Pictured here are a pair of shoes from the collection, featuring zippers, rhinestones, and silver hardware. Head to WWD.com to see a roundup of the accessories from Milan’s men’s fall 2018 shows. #wwdfashion (📷: Andrea Delb)
To celebrate the 25th anniversary of @ralphlauren’s snowboarding collection, the brand is mining its archives. The iconic brand is reintroducing vintage styles and dropping new designs for a color capsule that will be available in Ralph Lauren stores and @openingceremony on January 25. The capsule will consist of 10 pieces, including the Snow Beach Pullover, pictured here, which is a collector’s item that rapper Raekwon wore in Wu-Tang Clan’s “Can It Be All So Simple” video. #wwdfashion (📷: Tom Gould)
For @rochasofficial’s pre-fall 2018 collection, creative director Alessandro Dell’Acqua channeled the sophisticated and intriguing Catherine Denevue in the film “Belle de Jour.” Polished collarless coats, midi skirts, suits and ’60s graphic motifs were all featured in the collection, adding a sense of discreet luxury. See the rest of the photos on WWD.com #wwdfashion
“We tried to produce clothing of that couture quality, but the most daunting part was that we only had a matter of days [to do it],” said costume designer Lou Eyrich, who recreated Gianni Versace’s iconic looks for @americancrimestoryfx. Eyrich searched online retailers and vintage shops for original pieces from the design house and for @penelopecruzoficial, who plays Donatella Versace. Head to WWD.com to read how she created the Versace world. #wwdfashion
Only three months after her stellar debut catwalk season, @kaiagerber has inked her first big design collaboration –– with @karllagerfeld. The collection blends Lagerfeld’s Parisian chic aesthetic and the model’s signature West Coast casual style via RTW, accessories, footwear and more. The #KarlLagerfeldxKaia collection will launch in September with a series of events. Get all the details on WWD.com. #wwdnews #wwdfashion
Harrods plans to remove the famous statue of Princess Diana and Dodi Al Fayed from the bottom of the Egyptian escalators and hand it back to Mohamed Al-Fayed. “We are very proud to have played our role in celebrating the lives of Diana, Princess of Wales and Dodi Al Fayed at Harrods and to have welcomed people from around the world to visit the memorial for the past 20 years,” said Michael Ward, Harrods managing director. “With the announcement of the new official memorial statue to Diana, Princess of Wales at Kensington Palace, we feel that the time is right to return this memorial to Mr. Al Fayed and for the public to be invited to pay their respects at the palace.” More on the news, with reporting by @loreleimarfil, at WWD.com. #wwdnews