Requiem’s Raffaele Borriello Said Headed to Leonard

According to market sources, he is poised to succeed Maxime Simoens at the design helm of the French fashion house.

PARIS — Could Raffaele Borriello — co-founder of the Paris fashion label Requiem — be the heir apparent at Leonard?

This story first appeared in the March 16, 2012 issue of WWD.  Subscribe Today.

According to market sources, Borriello is poised to succeed Maxime Simoens at the design helm of the French fashion house known for its orchid prints on silk jersey.

Leonard officials had no comment Thursday.

RELATED STORY: Leonard RTW Fall 2012 >>

Borriello founded Requiem in 2005 with Julien Desselle, who departed the label in 2009 to pursue architecture. Both men had previously been designers at Gucci Group brands.

It is understood Borriello recently shuttered the Requiem label, known for its Forties-flavored and ladylike Parisian chic, after losing financial backing.

WWD reported on March 5 that Simoens is expected to part ways with Leonard after showing only one collection for the house.

Simoens and Leonard executives shrugged off the report at their show during Paris Fashion Week.

It is understood Simoens has held talks with Christian Dior, still without a creative director since the ouster a year ago of couturier John Galliano in the wake of racist and anti-Semitic outbursts.

Simoens has repeatedly denied to WWD that he has had any contact with Dior.

Dior has yet to reveal any plans regarding its creative leadership, and the firm continues to enjoy strong business momentum with its design teams under the creative leadership of Bill Gaytten, a longtime collaborator of Galliano.

The company is said to be mulling continuing with a team approach, possibly adding some young, up-and-coming talents.