NEW YORK — With the Qatari royal family’s deep pockets behind it, Valentino is making a major statement for current momentum and future growth — its largest flagship yet, set to open next year at 693 Fifth Avenue here in the old Takashimaya Building.
The new store, at 20,000 square feet with three floors of selling space as well as a basement, is the culmination of three years of sales increases for the brand, and marks a new chapter of expansion, with freestanding stores set to open in such cities as San Francisco, Las Vegas and Shanghai.
“It’s a very exciting period,” chief executive officer Stefano Sassi told WWD on Monday.
“In three years, we saw sales grow around 70 percent,” the ceo said. “The brand is growing fast. The first three months of this year, it was even accelerating, and we were increasing sales in the first quarter by 23 percent. Retailwise, in our own network, [increases have] been around 40 percent, especially with the very fast development of accessories, which are growing dramatically, both in shoes and bags.”
The Fifth Avenue store, when it opens next summer, will have a large focus on accessories.
The deal signals a significant push for the brand under the ownership of Mayhoola for Investments, a group controlled by the royal family of Qatar, which acquired the Valentino Fashion Group SpA last July.
Qatar, the tiny but increasingly powerful peninsula on the Persian Gulf that is rich in oil and natural gas resources, has recently been on a major spending spree, adding some of the world’s most prominent properties to its portfolio. These include Harrods, One Hyde Park and The Shard in London, as well as significant chunks of Place Vendôme and Printemps in Paris. Although it has reportedly intensified its quest to invest in U.S. real estate, there are no indications that Qatar will buy the former Takashimaya Building on Fifth Avenue, which New York real estate developer Thor Equities acquired for a reported $142 million in 2010. Valentino signed a 15-year lease for the space which, according to sources, is considered to be Manhattan’s largest retail real estate deal of the year so far. Valentino will take four floors of the 20-story building, which was originally designed by John Burgee Architects.
The Fifth Avenue deal kicks off a new phase of expansion for the fashion house, and the investment by Mayhoola will particularly fuel freestanding retail.
“We believe there is a big opportunity with the Qatar shareholders we now have,” Sassi noted, pointing to new store locations, some of them at the world’s top retail locations, as a key focus “to provide the full experience of all of Valentino today. The major target is talking to the consumer.”
The Takashimaya Building — a prominent tower between 54th and 55th Streets — fit the bill.
“In fashion today, everybody has a very loud voice and we need to use the same approach,” Sassi said. “It means we have to increase in terms of visibility, in the distribution of Valentino, and the Fifth Avenue store is one of the best things we can do because it’s such an iconic location.”
The new Valentino store will also serve the fashion house beyond just sales.
“It will have a strong communication effect for consumers,” Sassi said. “We want to state what Valentino is today. It’s also a business opportunity, especially for our accessories business, which is developing fast and becoming a huge business opportunity. We want to communicate the level of our ambition to the fashion world and fashion community. The Qatari shareholders are very committed to our success story.”
Since the 20-year-old building does not have landmark status, Valentino will be able to change the facade; British architect David Chipperfield is being charged with developing the entire store look with creative directors Maria Grazia Chiuri and Pierpaolo Piccioli. The look will be based on recent concept stores in Milan and Paris but adapted to the dimensions of the new space.
“We want to realize a very strong facade that is a sign of our presence there, and we have the opportunity to do that,” Sassi said. “How big, how tall, we don’t know yet.…We just started to work on it, but the more impressive it is, the better.”
Even before the Fifth Avenue store is unveiled, Valentino will roll out a string of stores.
Next month, the company will open a 5,295-square-foot store in a townhouse at 821 Madison Avenue with three selling floors and another floor devoted to a VIP salon. The company will also open its first accessories-only store in the U.S., a 750-square-foot unit at The Forum Shops at Caesars in Las Vegas this July. Simultaneously, Valentino will open a 3,000-square-foot store at Las Vegas’ Shops at Crystals.
In November, the company will add a 7,000-square-foot unit in San Francisco at 105 Grant Street, on the corner of Geary Street. It will be the first U.S. store to carry the complete men’s collection, with a separate entrance for the those floors. The company is said to be eyeing a unit in Aspen, Colo., as well.
While Sassi didn’t disclose growth projections for the U.S., he said, “Our ambition for brand development is quite high, and I think we still have a lot of opportunities to develop, especially looking at our competitors. In ready-to-wear, we already have a very good positioning in the market. In accessories, we still have a big opportunity.”
The U.S. isn’t the only region of growth. In November, Valentino will open a 7,535-square-foot store at Shanghai’s IAPM mall. Asia, said Sassi, is the fastest-growing region for the brand, although the U.S. is still the largest market.
Breaking News: @louisvuitton's men's artistic director @mrkimjones is leaving the French fashion house after nearly 7 years. Jones joined Louis Vuitton in 2011, following a three year tenure as creative director of British luxury goods brand Alfred Dunhill. Jones is to exit Louis Vuitton after showing his fall 2018 collection for the brand in Paris on Thursday. Read the full exclusive story on WWD.com. Link in bio. #wwdnews #wwdfashion
For men’s fall 2018, @giuseppezanotti drew on elements from streetwear, sport, biker, combat and rock ‘n’ roll. Pictured here are a pair of shoes from the collection, featuring zippers, rhinestones, and silver hardware. Head to WWD.com to see a roundup of the accessories from Milan’s men’s fall 2018 shows. #wwdfashion (📷: Andrea Delb)
To celebrate the 25th anniversary of @ralphlauren’s snowboarding collection, the brand is mining its archives. The iconic brand is reintroducing vintage styles and dropping new designs for a color capsule that will be available in Ralph Lauren stores and @openingceremony on January 25. The capsule will consist of 10 pieces, including the Snow Beach Pullover, pictured here, which is a collector’s item that rapper Raekwon wore in Wu-Tang Clan’s “Can It Be All So Simple” video. #wwdfashion (📷: Tom Gould)
For @rochasofficial’s pre-fall 2018 collection, creative director Alessandro Dell’Acqua channeled the sophisticated and intriguing Catherine Denevue in the film “Belle de Jour.” Polished collarless coats, midi skirts, suits and ’60s graphic motifs were all featured in the collection, adding a sense of discreet luxury. See the rest of the photos on WWD.com #wwdfashion
“We tried to produce clothing of that couture quality, but the most daunting part was that we only had a matter of days [to do it],” said costume designer Lou Eyrich, who recreated Gianni Versace’s iconic looks for @americancrimestoryfx. Eyrich searched online retailers and vintage shops for original pieces from the design house and for @penelopecruzoficial, who plays Donatella Versace. Head to WWD.com to read how she created the Versace world. #wwdfashion
Only three months after her stellar debut catwalk season, @kaiagerber has inked her first big design collaboration –– with @karllagerfeld. The collection blends Lagerfeld’s Parisian chic aesthetic and the model’s signature West Coast casual style via RTW, accessories, footwear and more. The #KarlLagerfeldxKaia collection will launch in September with a series of events. Get all the details on WWD.com. #wwdnews #wwdfashion
Harrods plans to remove the famous statue of Princess Diana and Dodi Al Fayed from the bottom of the Egyptian escalators and hand it back to Mohamed Al-Fayed. “We are very proud to have played our role in celebrating the lives of Diana, Princess of Wales and Dodi Al Fayed at Harrods and to have welcomed people from around the world to visit the memorial for the past 20 years,” said Michael Ward, Harrods managing director. “With the announcement of the new official memorial statue to Diana, Princess of Wales at Kensington Palace, we feel that the time is right to return this memorial to Mr. Al Fayed and for the public to be invited to pay their respects at the palace.” More on the news, with reporting by @loreleimarfil, at WWD.com. #wwdnews