Christmas is a time of indulgence, but there are sports-minded folks (and those who plan to make exercise their New Year's resolution) who like to receive active apparel and gadgets for gifts. So far this season, active apparel retailers and gyms report that collections are selling more than items, that warm cover-ups are good winter-weather gifts and that charitably oriented purchases are evoking the holiday spirit.
1. Paiva Holiday hit: Nike Dance collection. Price: Hoodie, $80; corset, $45; energy dance cargo pant, $75, and Shox MC $100 Info: Holiday shoppers have been looking for collections, rather than items, and Paiva sales associates help "outfit women from head to toe," according to a spokeswoman for the store.
2. Lululemon Athletica Holiday hit: Shape-up jacket. Price: $89 Info: Starting Friday, Lululemon's first New York store will host a "Yoga Free for All" and will give away more than $40,000 of free yoga and fitness classes to celebrate the launch of the 2,245-square-foot shop at 1928 Broadway on Manhattan's Upper West Side.
3. Puma Holiday hit: Puma inspiration watch. Price: $89 Info: Building on its cooperation with United for Africa at last summer's World Cup, Puma is donating to the charity 10 euros, or $13.32, from the sale of each "Puma Time" watch.
4. DavidBartonGym Holiday hit: DavidBartonGym Holiday Gift Price: $50 Info: Every year the gym offers a holiday package — half the sale price goes to Doctors Without Borders — that includes a one-month membership, a personal training session and an add-on gift, estimated at a value of $325. This year a T-shirt with a peace sign has been so popular that people are buying the package for the T-shirt alone.
5. Equinox Fitness Clubs Holiday hit: Winter Wonderland spa package, which includes a 50-minute Swedish massage and 25 minutes of reflexology. Price: $150 Info: For the ultimate shape-up treat, Equinox is offering the $10,000 "Six-Month Winter Shape Up," which includes for each week of that period: three personal training sessions, a 30-minute stretch, a 50-minute signature massage and a 50-minute deep-tissue massage.
Hermès is launching a Laundromat pop-up shop in NYC - dubbed Hermèsmatic - where customers can bring their old scarves to be dip-dyed by an expert. Get all the details on WWD.com. #wwdnews (📷: @donstahl)