NEW YORK — A decade after launching Chrome, Parfums Azzaro is looking to boost the business with the launch this fall of Chrome Legend, a new men's scent.

"We have been following on the successes of Chrome," Gerard Delcour, president of Parfums Azzaro, which is owned by Groupe Clarins, said during a recent interview. "We are continuing the story with Chrome Legend."

He added that worldwide, Chrome was the number-nine fragrance in its distribution network. "We thought this was the time [to] launch an addition to Chrome."

Plans call for Chrome Legend to be launched in September within Chrome's existing distribution network, or about 2,200 department store doors. This includes Macy's, Dillard's and Belk stores. It's the first time an Azzaro scent has been launched first in the U.S., Delcour noted. France and the rest of Europe will get the scent in spring 2008, he said.

"It's a more sophisticated fragrance than Chrome," Brad Horowitz, senior vice president of marketing at Clarins Fragrance Group, said of Chrome Legend. "It's like the Chrome guy 10 years later."

Chrome Legend, an eau de toilette, was blended by fragrance supplier Quest International, which is being integrated into Givaudan after the latter acquired Quest last year. Chrome Legend mixes top notes of tea, green apple and bitter orange with middle notes of musk, moss and sea spray, and base notes of cedar, vetiver, amber and tonka bean.

The Chrome Legend bottle, which is a deeper blue than Chrome, was designed in-house. The edt will be available in a 2.6-oz. version for $49 and a 4.2-oz. size for $66. A deodorant stick, 2.6-oz. for $16, will accompany the scent.

Industry sources estimate Chrome Legend could generate $12 million in first-year retail sales.

A national print advertising campaign, which is slated to run in November and December issues of men's magazines, will support the scent. Industry sources estimate that about $5 million will be spent to advertise and promote Chrome Legend. — Matthew W. Evans

Paris Court Rules in Garnier Case

PARIS — L'Oréal's Garnier brand was condemned Friday for discrimination by the Paris Court of Appeal, while Laurent Dubois, its former managing director, was acquitted. Following the decision handed down by the court, L'Oréal lodged an appeal against the ruling.As reported, SOS Racisme, an antiracism organization, had last year appealed the acquittal of recruitment firm Adecco, Garnier and Dubois. SOS Racisme claimed that when recruiting product demonstrators for Garnier's Fructis brand in September 2000, Districom, a subsidiary of Adecco, sent a fax to its temporary employment agencies requesting candidates that were described as "BBR." The acronym purportedly stands for "bleu blanc rouge," allegedly meaning Caucasian.

On Friday, L'Oréal rejected the accusation of discrimination. "The Court of Appeal's decision today is astonishing and incomprehensible," the company said in a statement. "It runs counter to the well-documented decision of June 1, 2006, which unreservedly cleared Garnier and Mr. Dubois of any wrongdoing. We categorically reject any accusation of discrimination made against Garnier. We consider these allegations to be absolutely unfounded, and Garnier has decided to lodge an appeal against this decision with the Cour de Cassation, France's highest Court of Appeal."

The statement continued, "Respect of human beings is a fundamental principle at L'Oréal. We believe that difference and diversity are a source of richness, and we do not tolerate any form of racism or discrimination." Ellen Groves

To Read the Full Article
SUBSCRIBE NOW

Tap into our Global Network

Of Industry Leaders and Designers

load comments
blog comments powered by Disqus