The Council of Fashion Designers of America has unfurled a slew of programs and retail collaborations to support its Fashion Targets Breast Cancer initiative this month.
Among the various programs:
• Beginning today, FashionTargetsBreastCancer.com will launch new FTBC-branded items, including an iPhone case for $34.99 and a charm for $25. In addition, the FTBC T-shirt, which has the original FTBC logo designed by Ralph Lauren, can be purchased for $34.99. Both the e-commerce site and the products were designed and developed by Villency Design Group.
• Nine West has partnered with FTBC for the fourth year in a row to raise money and awareness for breast cancer. During the week of Oct. 15-22, with each purchase in-store or online of $125 or more, Nine West will donate $25 to FTBC. As a thank-you, shoppers will receive a Nine West/FTBC-branded canvas tote featuring the hashtag #9WFTBC. Customers will also have the option of adding $1 or more to their purchase or an “add your change” opt-in at the register to donate to FTBC.
• On Oct. 24, CFDA member Jennifer Fisher, along with celebrity cohosts Kelly Ripa and Anderson Cooper, will host a charity ride for FTBC, led by SoulCycle’s Laurie Cole, at the West Village SoulCycle at 126 Leroy Street. The ride is underwritten by Carole Hochman, a CFDA board member. The first-row bikes are $1,200, second row, $600, and last row, $300. First-row bikes also include a “Fighter” cuff from Jennifer Fisher and a FTBC T-shirt. To purchase a bike, contact S.Maniatty@CFDA.com.
• For the month of October, Commando will donate $5 for every item sold on wearcommando.com.
• Finally, CFDA has joined forces with charity Web site Fashion Project to raise money for FTBC. CFDA members have donated clothing, shoes, handbags and accessories to benefit this CFDA initiative. Sixty percent of the proceeds from the sale of items on fashionproject.com will benefit FTBC. People can also donate items from their own closets by contacting Christine Rizk, president of Fashion Project, at Christine@fashionproject.com.
“These collections continue to build on that vision, empowering differently abled adults to express themselves through fashion,” said @tommyhilfiger of his line of adaptive apparel, which launches today. The line consists of 37 men’s and 34 women’s styles based upon the pieces from the spring Tommy Hilfiger sportswear collection. #wwdnews
“Stranger Things” is getting a new cast member for season 2. Meet @sadiesink_, the 15-year-old who will be joining the Netflix series for its new season. You may recognize her from “The Glass Castle” with Brie Larson and Woody Harrelson, but the Texas native’s next role goes in an entirely different direction. She describes her character, Max, as “a rough and tumble skater girl [who] becomes friends with the boys at school.” The second season debuts on October 27. (📷: @jgreenery) #wwdeye
Amid the Harvey Weinstein controversy, there’s another sector that’s being put under the spotlight for sexual abuse: the modeling industry. While rumors about abuse and sexual harassment of female and male models — and the photographers, agents and others who perpetrated it — have circulated within the fashion world for years, model @cameronrussell started posting stories from models on Instagram last week about abusive situations they’ve encountered — from sexual harassment and molestation to attempted rape. Over 75 have weighed in so far. Read more on WWD.com. Link in bio. #wwdnews
To celebrate its 16th anniversary, @dylanscandybar tapped designers and celebrities to create mosaics out of candy. The mosaics will be auctioned off to support the philanthropic cause of each participant’s choice. Pictured here is the mural created by @aliceandolivia's Stacey Bendet. For a first look at some of the other artwork being unveiled tonight, go to WWD.com. #wwdeye
The annual Veuve Clicquot Polo Classic in Pacific Palisades this weekend drew Kate Hudson, Tracee Ellis Ross, Laura Dern and more. See pictures of the star-studded event on WWD.com. (📷: @chelsealaurenla) #wwdeye
In his new book “Hollywood Royale,” Andy Warhol’s Protégé Matthew Rolston celebrates the Eighties revival of Hollywood glamour. Featuring more than 100 portraits taken by Rolston from 1977 to 1993, the book contains photos of icons like Michael Jackson, Cyndi Lauper, and @drewbarrymore, pictured here in 1991. “Hollywood Royale,” out today, will be accompanied by an exhibition opening at Los Angeles’ Fahey/Klein Gallery on March 1. #wwdeye
"Nowadays when life is not so happy with everything going on in the world, I think people come to me for a little bit of whimsy and color and fun." - Designer Rebecca De Ravenel on her cult-favorite jewelry line. (📸 : @vsteves) #wwd40
“Everyone is talking about how the retail industry is struggling, but I think it’s an incredible time because brands who are doing something different and innovative are setting themselves up for the future,” said @adamgoldston, who founded the luxury athletic brand @apl with his brother @ryangoldsten. The Goldston’s are part of WWD’s 40 under 40: a group of industry notables. See the rest of the list on WWD.com. (📷: @vsteves) #wwd40
@eyeswoon blogger Athena Calderone debuted her first-ever cookbook, “Cook Beautiful,” which is heavily centered on the presentation and visual expression of food. Pictured here are her miso glazed carrots from the book. Get the recipe on WWD.com. (📷: @johnny_miller_) #wwdeye