PARIS — As widely expected, LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton said Monday it has tapped the relatively unknown Riccardo Tisci as Givenchy’s fifth designer in 10 years.
This confirms a report in WWD last month tipping the 30-year-old Italian as the leading candidate.
Marco Gobbetti, chief executive officer of Givenchy, said Tisci signed a three-year contract and would move to Paris to begin work immediately on a winter couture collection and pre-spring ready-to-wear. It has not yet been decided if Givenchy, which has sat on fashion’s sidelines since the exit of Julien Macdonald in April, will be back on the couture runway in July.
After showing his latest signature collection in Milan last Friday to positive reviews, Tisci will shut down that label to focus on Givenchy, Gobbetti said.
Monday’s announcement ends one of the longest designer searches in recent memory, with candidates said to range from Richard Chai and Zac Posen in New York to Giles Deacon and Roland Mouret in London. Alber Elbaz, who renewed his contract at Lanvin last August, resisted aggressive courting by LVMH.
But on Monday, Gobbetti insisted there were scores of willing and capable candidates and that Tisci outshone them all.
“He is a perfect fit for us. He has an elegance that is very modern, very contemporary and romantic at the same time,” he said. “A lot of people say, ‘He is very young,’ but I think he’s ready for it.”
After years working for other designers and firms — including Antonio Berardi, Stefano Guerriero, Missoni and Ratti — Tisci signed a three-year contract to do the Ruffo Research collection, which had been a platform for the likes of Sophia Kokosalaki, Veronique Branquinho and Raf Simons.
When the plug was pulled on that line in July, he scrabbled together a collection in October and tapped his model friends to do his show for free. They obliged again last week in Milan, wandering around an incense-choked warehouse in dresses and coats with funereal airs.
Tisci succeeds a string of designers who have, to varying degrees, encountered some bumps on the road to brand rejuvenation following the 1995 retirement of founder Hubert de Givenchy.After a brief stint by John Galliano, who moved on to Christian Dior, Alexander McQueen tried his hand. But his eclectic collections — space aliens one season, rockabilly the next — failed to galvanize the house. Macdonald went back to a style rooted in French elegance and sophistication, but did not win much acclaim.
More recently, the spotlight at Givenchy has shone on men’s wear, where the artistic director is Ozwald Boateng.
Harrods plans to remove the famous statue of Princess Diana and Dodi Al Fayed from the bottom of the Egyptian escalators and hand it back to Mohamed Al-Fayed. “We are very proud to have played our role in celebrating the lives of Diana, Princess of Wales and Dodi Al Fayed at Harrods and to have welcomed people from around the world to visit the memorial for the past 20 years,” said Michael Ward, Harrods managing director. “With the announcement of the new official memorial statue to Diana, Princess of Wales at Kensington Palace, we feel that the time is right to return this memorial to Mr. Al Fayed and for the public to be invited to pay their respects at the palace.” More on the news, with reporting by @loreleimarfil, at WWD.com. #wwdnews
@prada is introducing a new project at its men’s fall 2018 show this Sunday: “Prada Invites.” The fashion house invited four celebrated creative minds – @ronanaerwanbouroullec, Konstantin Grcic, @herzogdemeuron and @rem.koolhaas – to each create a unique item with its iconic nylon material. The designs will be unveiled on the runway show, which will take place at the company’s warehouse in Viale Ortles 25. #wwdfashion #mfwm (📷: @martinocarrera)
@kering_official is spinning off its stake in puma in an effort to focus on its luxury brands, the brand operator announced yesterday. “We are proud to have supported the turnaround of Puma, which now has unrivaled capabilities to take full advantage of the specific dynamics of its global markets and is poised to achieve substantial growth,” said François-Henri Pinault, Kering’s chief executive officer and chairman. Artémis will become a “long-term strategic shareholder” of Puma with a 29 percent stake. #wwdnews #wwdfashion (📷: @jilliansollazzo)
The fashion world mourns for celebrated street style photographer, Nabile Quenum, who died at age 32 in Paris.
Quenum, creator of the fashion blog “J’ai Perdu Ma Veste,” was a fashion week fixture, and regularly shot for New York magazine’s The Cut, among other outlets, and brands such as Louis Vuitton, Moncler and Adidas. He was also actively involved in the #NoFreePhotos initiative, which kicked off in the fall. Read more about Quenum in @kbsmoke's story on WWD.com. #wwdnews
@verwanggang and @maisonladuree have teamed up on a dessert collab called Vera Wang Pour Ladurée. The collection, which launched this week, features a specialty macaroon, as well as a wedding cake inspired by one of the designer’s gowns. “I could not imagine a more delicate or sophisticated creation to grace any couple’s celebration,” said Wang. #wwdfashion