Women's apparel this fall has been all about knits, dresses and — to spice it up — knit dresses. Those trends continue into holiday, adding festive red and velour into the mix. Retailers weigh in on some of their hottest sellers so far for Christmas and the fall season in the contemporary, better and moderate markets.
1. J. Crew Holiday hit: The dress business, particularly through the mini "little black dress shop" site on jcrew.com. Price: $98 to $325 Fall hit: Cashmere is the magic fabric, whether it comes in the form of a long-sleeved T-shirt or hoodie (shown). Price: $168
2. Ann Taylor Fall hit: Even suits morphed into dresses this season, as seen in this pebble crepe wool sheath and jacket combo (shown). Price: Dress, $148; jacket, $218.
3. Talbots Holiday hit: Velour knit separates, particularly in red for the season, fit the Talbots' customer penchant for comfort. Price: Jacket, $78; pants, $68. Fall hit: Knits with embellishment around the neckline, like this V-neck version with rhinestones (shown). Price: $38
4. Kenneth Cole New York Holiday hit: Combining both of this season's hottest trends, Kenneth Cole's newly upgraded New York line scored with its air-spun cashmere dress (shown). Price: $398 Fall hit: That same calf-length turtleneck dress has been strong.
5. Holt Renfrew Holiday hit: Although featured in the move "The Break Up," Jennifer Meyer's small yellow gold leaf necklace is proving a good gift for couples who are still together. Price: $675 Fall hit: This See by Chloé knit dress (shown) incorporated both of the season's key trends. Price: $425
6. Tommy Hilfiger Holiday hit: Party dresses, including the limelight prom dress. Price: $595 Fall hit: Outerwear has done well, including the Nicky biker jacket (shown). Price: $4957. Nordstrom Holiday hit: Fall's knit dress transitions into holiday by coming in red, like this Karoo Mark Eisen cashmere wrap (shown). Price: $342 Fall hit: Big cardigan sweaters paired with sleek bottoms, like NFY dark skinny jeans, scored in Nordstrom's contemporary section. Price: $150
8. Tommy Bahama Holiday hit: Cashmere sweaters, like the Island Fronds wrap and the Heavenly cardigan sweater (shown). Price: Wrap, $500; cardigan, $125. Fall hit: The holiday weekend was a reflection of the past few months, when cashmere sweaters dominated buys.
9. Forth & Towne Holiday hit: Little black dresses, particularly the "cosmo" (shown), are favorites for holiday parties. Price: $148 Fall hit: The new arm of Gap Inc. did well with many of the season's trends, including layering and plaid, with this capelet. Price: $168
10. Lord & Taylor Holiday hit: Black dresses, particularly in matte jersey, like an ABS version with pleats and a patent belt, have been great early sellers. Price: $240 Fall hit: Knits have sold well, particularly versions with a festive metallic aspect, like this in-house cashmere version that can be worn either as a cowlneck or off-the-shoulder (shown). Price: $170
11. White House|Black Market Holiday hit: Cardigans with embellishment, such as the Maxine crop cardigan. Price: $78 Fall hit: The dress trend has paired with the hot black-and-white color story this season — which is always in fashion at White House|Black Market — on this Charlotte lace dress (shown). Price: $148
12. J.C. Penney Holiday hit: Velour separates, like St. John's Bay velour zip hoodie. Price: $24.99 Fall hit: Kimono-sleeved and tunic-length tops, like this cowlneck tunic from its private a.n.a. brand (shown). Price: $12.99
@fearofgod and @maxfieldla have teamed up on a pop-up installation. The store, located in the gallery space across from Maxfield’s Melrose Ave location, is the site of the brand’s House of God pop-up in which Fear of God founder @jerrylorenzo has created a church-inspired installation. A dozen vintage church pews sit in front of an LED screen playing 90s gospel singers in an effort to re-create an environment akin to a Southern Baptist Church, Lorenzo explained. Read more about the pop-up on WWD.com #wwdfashion (📷: Jennifer Johnson)
Known for his sleek, sophisticated American glamour, Norman Norell is the subject of an upcoming exhibition at @fitnyc. “Norell: Dean of American Fashion,” which runs from February 9 through April 14, will feature approximately 100 ensembles and accessories. His best work is exemplified by the designer’s glittering “mermaid” gowns frosted with thousands of hand-sewn sequins – like the one pictured. (📷: William Helburn) #wwdfashion
For pre-fall 2018, @balmain didn’t let go of the glitz. A crystal embroidered baseball jacket priced at around $40,000 hangs in the “couture” section of the brand’s first men’s pre-collection. Sporting the words “Balmain Army” across the back, the item took around two months to make. “When it was completed, it was like Christmas, it was like, ‘It’s done, it’s exactly what I wanted,’” said Balmain’s creative director @olivier_rousteing during a tour of the collection in a Paris showroom on Monday. #wwdfashion
Eighty degree temperatures and outdoor installations at the annual Art Basel Miami Beach called for bright, elevated beachwear. See more street style pictures on WWD.com. #theyarewearing #ABMB (📷: @lifeinreverie)
Following September’s emotional tribute to her brother Gianni, Donatella Versace wanted to bring the spring show’s deep sense of intimacy to her @versace_official pre-fall collection. Donatella found inspiration in Versace Palazzo in Milan and from Gianni’s opulent apartment. Archival patterns and new motifs were splashed on silk shirtdresses and fitted jersey frocks. See the rest of the photos on WWD.com. #wwdfashion
Demna Gvasalia continues to shake up the Paris fashion calendar — and experiment with new runway timetables for his @vetements_official brand. WWD has learned that Vetements plans to stage its next coed show for the fall 2018 season on January 19 during Men’s Fashion Week in the French capital. Details about the timing and venue have not been confirmed — stay tuned on WWD.com to catch the latest. #wwdnews (📷: @giovanni_giannoni_photo)
@zacposen's go-to holiday gift? Cookies! "I'll usually bake cookies and send them as a gift," said the designer, who recently released his cookbook "Cooking With Zac: Recipes from Rustic to Refined." Get the recipe for his Brown Butter-Chocolate Chip Cookies via link in bio 🍪🍪🍪 #wwdeye #cookingwithzac
For @monsemaison’s pre-fall 2018 collection, Fernando Garcia and Laura Kim honed in on the brand’s many signatures — men’s wear, which was tweaked and feminized through deconstruction, proportion play and lots of bare shoulders. See the rest of the photos on WWD.com #wwdfashion (📷: George Chinese)
On Friday night, @yohjiyamamotoofficial received the Design for Asia Lifetime Achievement Award in Hong Kong. The 75-year-old designer has been celebrated for many years and is best known for his dark and avant-garde tailoring. “In my long career, in design, architecture, [I’ve been to] so many parties, this is the very first time that I have such a warm feeling, I really appreciate this,” Yamamoto said. #wwdfashion (📷: @dominiquemaitre)