SECOND TIME AROUND: Dickson Poon has put the finishing touches on his second, alternative bid for Harvey Nichols and sent it to shareholders for a vote, a spokesman for the store said Thursday. As reported Tuesday, his first bid of $3.85 a share for...
SECOND TIME AROUND: Dickson Poon has put the finishing touches on his second, alternative bid for Harvey Nichols and sent it to shareholders for a vote, a spokesman for the store said Thursday. As reported Tuesday, his first bid of $3.85 a share for 100 percent of the firm failed at a shareholders meeting, due chiefly to the resistance of Deutsche Bank, the store’s largest institutional shareholder. Under the new bid, Poon is still offering $3.85 a share, but this time he only needs approval from shareholders representing 50 percent — rather than 75 percent — of the stock held by the public. Shareholders have to respond by mail by 3 p.m. Dec. 4. Poon currently owns 50.1 percent of Harvey Nichols and wants to buy as much of the remaining 49.9 percent as he can so he can delist the company. Deutsche Bank wants to hold on to its shares and ensure the company remains listed on the stock exchange.
VOYAGE OF VALUE: The Boston satellite office of Value City Department Stores Inc.’s merchandising group is being closed. James McGrady, VC’s chief financial officer, said the Boston office’s functions will be relocated to New York, where the firm is "pretty close" to choosing a site. The move doesn’t affect VC’s existing Boston-based Filene’s Basement merchandising team, but will affect about 20 employees. VC’s merchandising group has offices in Columbus, Ohio, where the discounter has its headquarters, and Los Angeles.
FREE TRADE DOWN UNDER: U.S. Trade Representative Robert Zoellick has notified Congressional leaders that he plans to begin negotiations on a free-trade agreement with Australia in 90 days. Zoellick, who was in Canberra, Australia, this week, said in a letter to lawmakers that agriculture issues will be a top priority in the context of negotiations.
@kith is moving into children’s. The men’s and women’s streetwear brand has launched Kidset, a Kith kids line located in New York at 64 Bleecker Street. The line includes mini versions of staple Kith pieces like the Astor bomber jacket and the Kith box logo sweatshirts, along with a wall that can display up to 120 pairs of shoes from @adidas, @newbalance, @timberland and more. #wwdfashion
“I just wanted to create this fully rounded character, but I do think what excited me most was just the opportunity to give a group of people representation that I feel needs it. I like to do characters in projects that stand for something and Karolina definitely does, so that was really exciting to me,” @ginnygardner says of her new role in @hulu’s “The Runaways.” Gardner plays Karolina Dean, a queer superhero, which is a rarity for @marvel. Read more about Gardner’s character on WWD.com #wwdeye (📷: @dandoperalski)
@heriethpaul and @gracebol have a moment on the @victoriassecret fashion show 2017. See every look from the runway on WWD.com. Link in bio. (📷: @giovanni_giannoni_photo) #wwdfashion #victoriassecret #VSFashionShow
“Azzedine has been one of the biggest influences in my life. He has always been such a strong, loving, fatherly figure to me. I call him Papa. His designs are indescribably unique, they are pieces of art. He knew how to make the female form look its loveliest. I have so many memories of him; my favorite might be during my first show with him in Paris. He liked me and he wanted to help me get more work. He called all his friends at Kenzo and Comme des Garcons, and asked them to book me. They said, ‘But she can’t walk!’ And he said, ‘but she has such a great ass!' His friendship and support has been the great privilege of my career. I can't imagine life without him. Repose en paix mon Papa.” - @stephanieseymour tells @wwd. #wwdfashion (📷: @steveeichner) #alaia #azzedinealaia
Azzedine Alaïa, flanked by two of his closest friends, models Stephanie Seymour and Naomi Campbell.
He designed Seymour’s dress for her 1995 wedding to Peter Brant, and treated Campbell (who famously called him Papa), like a daughter. For more on the legendary designer, tap the link in bio. #wwdfashion #alaia #azzedinealaia