By and  on September 13, 2007

"Robert and I discussed this today and we were like, you know what, we don't want to show here anymore." - Marc Jacobs

"Marc and I were up from Friday until Monday. Marc wasn't drinking, he wasn't doing drugs, he wasn't at the Mercer Hotel having a cocktail while everybody was at the show waiting. He was with me backstage." - Robert Duffy

NEW YORK — Angry? Times two. After reading industry comments about their show's late start in WWD on Wednesday and fielding questions about the widely circulated rumor that on Monday night, while his guests sat tapping their heels waiting for his show to begin, Marc Jacobs was in the Mercer Hotel restaurant or bar (depending upon the version), he and Robert Duffy placed separate calls to this paper to respond. Jacobs was primarily concerned with the lateness contretemps, while Duffy, president of Marc Jacobs International, wanted to address the still-widening Mercer rumor.

"I know that Marc didn't leave the showroom until 8 [on Monday night]," Duffy said. "He called me up and said, 'I have to go back home [the Mercer Hotel] and take a shower.' He was [at the Armory] at 8:30 for the rehearsal. So when all these people started calling me and telling me he was at the bar at the Mercer at 9:30 or 10, that's ridiculous. I was with him."

Jacobs offered a similar account, if more colorfully stated. "That is bullshit! That is bullshit!" he retorted. "I was at the f---ing office until the last fitting was over. I came back to the hotel — I hadn't been here in three days! I hadn't showered in three days! I slept on the couch in my office for 20 minutes three nights in a row — anyone at my office will tell you that. I got 20 minutes sleep Friday night, Saturday night, Sunday night. The first shower I had was Monday at 8 before the rehearsal of our show. I did not have lunch, I did not have drinks, I did not have tea at the Mercer, I walked through the lobby; I live in this hotel. I hadn't been there — ask the reception at the hotel. When they saw me on Monday, they were like, 'We haven't seen you in days.' I lived in my office for three days in a row....My boyfriend was downstairs having dinner. I wasn't. I was at the rehearsal, I was at the office until the last minute. I took 20 minutes to shower and shave — I stank like a raccoon! I could not go to the show like that."

To Read the Full Article

Tap into our Global Network

Of Industry Leaders and Designers

load comments
blog comments powered by Disqus