All grown up, twentysomething daughters turn the tables and treat their mothers for the holidays, with jewelry, activewear and accessories.
1. Name: Kelley Giffin Home: New York City Mother's home: Atlanta Gift: Pearl cocktail ring and matching earrings. Store: Macy's Price: $800 Inspiration: "While [I was] out shopping one day with my mom, she expressed interest in a pearl ring — a strange thing to be extremely excited about, I must admit, but I was extremely excited that she had expressed interest in something! Plus, she has recently given me a beautiful cocktail ring to celebrate my growing up — yes, I believe I am actually a 24-year-old person in the world— and I wanted to return the favor."
2. Name: Jessica Hilberman Home: Oakland, Calif. Mother's home: Los Angeles Gift: A pair of art glass and sterling earrings by Los Angeles artist Arlene Risi Steich. Store: Montclair Art and Wine Festival in Oakland. Price: $45 Inspiration: "I picked earrings because my mom's hair is growing back from her chemo, so it's very short and cute, but she needs some fun ear jewelry to help frame her face. Actually, she never had pierced ears, but she got them pierced over Thanksgiving so that she'd be able to wear earrings without losing them (and because I think she wants diamonds), so this will be her first pair of pierced earrings."
3. Name: Ashley Allison Home: Dallas Mother's home: Liberty, Tex. Gift: Black Gucci bag. Store: An outlet in Florence. Price: $600 Inspiration: "I know she'll love it, and I guess it's a bit authentic since it came straight from Italy via my very large suitcase. The best part about it is that (a) I haven't even slipped a word about it in five months, and (b) I didn't use it even once."4. Name: Erica Peppers Home: Scarsdale, N.Y. Mother's home: Scarsdale, N.Y. Gift: C9 by Champion fleece jacket, running capris and long-sleeve running singlettes. Store: Target Price: $80 Inspiration: "My mom mentioned that she liked my exercise clothes and that she wanted some for herself. She is becoming very diligent about her exercising, too, so I thought this would be a great gift. Plus, you can color coordinate, which she loves — i.e., the pants have an aqua stripe down the side, and I bought a matching white top with aqua piping."
5. Name: Lee Heffner Home: Washington Mother's home: Louisville, Ky. and Naples, Fla. Gift: Tory Burch orange ballet flats. Store: saks.com Price: $195 Inspiration: "She loves her Prada ballet flats, so I thought I'd get her these since they're a little spunkier with the metallic hardware, and the bright color is perfect for Naples."
6. Name: Molly Waxman Home: New York City Mother's home: Austin, Tex. Gift: Kooba's Jessie purse. Store: kooba.com Price: $465 Inspiration: "I wanted to get her something nice that wouldn't just sit on a shelf somewhere. She has tons of great handbags for nighttime, but I wanted to give her something that she could use daily."
7. Name: Katie Henderson Home: Chicago Mother's home: Chicago Gift: "Smitten Mitten." Store: smitten.com Price: $14 Inspiration: "My parents are huge public hand-holders, and this fleece mitten let's you hold hands and still keep warm. It's the perfect gag gift."8. Name: Tazia Smith Home: New York City Mother's home: Daytona Beach, Fla. Gift: A floaty vest for exercising in the pool. Store: Online Price: $65 Inspiration: "She lives in Florida, and she has just gotten into working out in the pool. When I told her about 'pool jogging,' she got really excited and wanted to know where to get one of the floaty vests."
9. Name: ThuZar Wynn Home: Chicago Mother's home: Columbus, Ohio Gift: A handmade scarf. Store: Dragonfly Price: $90 Inspiration: "I bought a present from an international, Southeast Asian-inspired goods store. The scarf's colors are very oriental — orange, red, mango — and it will remind her of the ones she had purchased before from [Burma, her home country]."
10. Name: Ashley Clark Home: New York City Mother's home: Lake Forrest, Ill. Gift: "The Sonoma Diet" book, Jo Malone cologne and body crème, opera glasses, Elizabeth Arden EA 8-hour cream intensive moisturizing hand treatment, Williams-Sonoma's apple martini cocktail mix and "The Original Peppermint Bark." Store: amazon.com, Saks Fifth Avenue, operanet.com, amazon.com, Williams-Sonoma in Bloomingdale's in Chicago. Price: $15, about $100 and $80, $50, $23, $14 and $24, respectively Inspiration: "This is what she asked for — thus, we bought them!"
@zacposen's go-to holiday gift? Cookies! "I'll usually bake cookies and send them as a gift," said the designer, who recently released his cookbook "Cooking With Zac: Recipes from Rustic to Refined." Get the recipe for his Brown Butter-Chocolate Chip Cookies via link in bio 🍪🍪🍪 #wwdeye #cookingwithzac
For @monsemaison’s pre-fall 2018 collection, Fernando Garcia and Laura Kim honed in on the brand’s many signatures — men’s wear, which was tweaked and feminized through deconstruction, proportion play and lots of bare shoulders. See the rest of the photos on WWD.com #wwdfashion (📷: George Chinese)
On Friday night, @yohjiyamamotoofficial received the Design for Asia Lifetime Achievement Award in Hong Kong. The 75-year-old designer has been celebrated for many years and is best known for his dark and avant-garde tailoring. “In my long career, in design, architecture, [I’ve been to] so many parties, this is the very first time that I have such a warm feeling, I really appreciate this,” Yamamoto said. #wwdfashion (📷: @dominiquemaitre)
Discovery is collaborating with British pop artist @philipcolbert on a new line of clothing and accessories called Discovery Shark. The collection, which will launch next summer for Shark Week’s 30th anniversary, features a whimsical line of women’s and men’s bomber jackets, sweatshirts, bags and more. #wwdfashion
“I’m always a big champion of a female rapper, and I’m glad to see a new voice that feels unique and authentic that’s coming up, and I think we’re going to see more great things from her,” said @itsjeremyscott about @iamcardib, who performed at @moschino’s Art Basel Miami Beach party last night. #wwdeye (📷: @lexieblacklock)
@janellemonae’s “What’s Your Frequency?” room in @refinery29's #29Rooms made its debut this week at the opening of the Los Angeles art exhibit. “It’s about the ongoing conversation around mass surveillance, the weaponization of technology and cultural uniformity. My space was created so that we can come together and talk about the complexities of our humanity,” said Monáe. #wwdeye (📷: @bucknerphoto)
@pantone announced their Color of the Year 2018: Ultra Violet. Nearly 20 months after the musician Prince’s death, fashion is having a purple moment. Varying shades of purple appeared on spring or fall runways, from @christopherkane to @calvinklein. @gucci’s Alessandro Michele bathed his fall runway in ultra violet-colored light at one point. Pantone 18-3838 is meant to “push the boundaries of what inspires us to look upward and outward to the future.” #wwdnews #wwdfashion (📷: @kukukuba)