All grown up, twentysomething daughters turn the tables and treat their mothers for the holidays, with jewelry, activewear and accessories.
1. Name: Kelley Giffin Home: New York City Mother's home: Atlanta Gift: Pearl cocktail ring and matching earrings. Store: Macy's Price: $800 Inspiration: "While [I was] out shopping one day with my mom, she expressed interest in a pearl ring — a strange thing to be extremely excited about, I must admit, but I was extremely excited that she had expressed interest in something! Plus, she has recently given me a beautiful cocktail ring to celebrate my growing up — yes, I believe I am actually a 24-year-old person in the world— and I wanted to return the favor."
2. Name: Jessica Hilberman Home: Oakland, Calif. Mother's home: Los Angeles Gift: A pair of art glass and sterling earrings by Los Angeles artist Arlene Risi Steich. Store: Montclair Art and Wine Festival in Oakland. Price: $45 Inspiration: "I picked earrings because my mom's hair is growing back from her chemo, so it's very short and cute, but she needs some fun ear jewelry to help frame her face. Actually, she never had pierced ears, but she got them pierced over Thanksgiving so that she'd be able to wear earrings without losing them (and because I think she wants diamonds), so this will be her first pair of pierced earrings."
3. Name: Ashley Allison Home: Dallas Mother's home: Liberty, Tex. Gift: Black Gucci bag. Store: An outlet in Florence. Price: $600 Inspiration: "I know she'll love it, and I guess it's a bit authentic since it came straight from Italy via my very large suitcase. The best part about it is that (a) I haven't even slipped a word about it in five months, and (b) I didn't use it even once."4. Name: Erica Peppers Home: Scarsdale, N.Y. Mother's home: Scarsdale, N.Y. Gift: C9 by Champion fleece jacket, running capris and long-sleeve running singlettes. Store: Target Price: $80 Inspiration: "My mom mentioned that she liked my exercise clothes and that she wanted some for herself. She is becoming very diligent about her exercising, too, so I thought this would be a great gift. Plus, you can color coordinate, which she loves — i.e., the pants have an aqua stripe down the side, and I bought a matching white top with aqua piping."
5. Name: Lee Heffner Home: Washington Mother's home: Louisville, Ky. and Naples, Fla. Gift: Tory Burch orange ballet flats. Store: saks.com Price: $195 Inspiration: "She loves her Prada ballet flats, so I thought I'd get her these since they're a little spunkier with the metallic hardware, and the bright color is perfect for Naples."
6. Name: Molly Waxman Home: New York City Mother's home: Austin, Tex. Gift: Kooba's Jessie purse. Store: kooba.com Price: $465 Inspiration: "I wanted to get her something nice that wouldn't just sit on a shelf somewhere. She has tons of great handbags for nighttime, but I wanted to give her something that she could use daily."
7. Name: Katie Henderson Home: Chicago Mother's home: Chicago Gift: "Smitten Mitten." Store: smitten.com Price: $14 Inspiration: "My parents are huge public hand-holders, and this fleece mitten let's you hold hands and still keep warm. It's the perfect gag gift."8. Name: Tazia Smith Home: New York City Mother's home: Daytona Beach, Fla. Gift: A floaty vest for exercising in the pool. Store: Online Price: $65 Inspiration: "She lives in Florida, and she has just gotten into working out in the pool. When I told her about 'pool jogging,' she got really excited and wanted to know where to get one of the floaty vests."
9. Name: ThuZar Wynn Home: Chicago Mother's home: Columbus, Ohio Gift: A handmade scarf. Store: Dragonfly Price: $90 Inspiration: "I bought a present from an international, Southeast Asian-inspired goods store. The scarf's colors are very oriental — orange, red, mango — and it will remind her of the ones she had purchased before from [Burma, her home country]."
10. Name: Ashley Clark Home: New York City Mother's home: Lake Forrest, Ill. Gift: "The Sonoma Diet" book, Jo Malone cologne and body crème, opera glasses, Elizabeth Arden EA 8-hour cream intensive moisturizing hand treatment, Williams-Sonoma's apple martini cocktail mix and "The Original Peppermint Bark." Store: amazon.com, Saks Fifth Avenue, operanet.com, amazon.com, Williams-Sonoma in Bloomingdale's in Chicago. Price: $15, about $100 and $80, $50, $23, $14 and $24, respectively Inspiration: "This is what she asked for — thus, we bought them!"
As one of the most recognizable models in the world, Christy Turlington Burns has an insider’s view of the fashion industry and the allegations of sexual harassment swirling around it. “I can say that harassment and mistreatment have always been widely known and tolerated in the industry. The industry is surrounded by predators who thrive on the constant rejection and loneliness so many of us have experiences at some point in our careers,” Turlington told WWD, along with her suggestions for how the modeling world should protect younger women and men. Read more on WWD.com. Link in bio. (📷: Tony Palmieri) #wwdnews
@asics America has tapped a new brand ambassador: famed DJ/record producer @steveaoki. This initiative is intended to set the tone for the new brand identity and philosophy and will include partnerships with influencers and in-store and off-line activations that will continue into next year. This is Asics’ most significant marketing effort in two decades, and is expected to attract younger consumers to the brand. #wwdfashion
24-year-old Jean Prounis is redefining the rules of jewelry. Formerly a studio assistant to Jemima Kirke and a design apprentice at Ghuran, she focuses on handcrafted subtleties and ancient goldsmithing techniques. “There was a really sterile feel in the environment and I wanted to have jewelry with character that shapes how you wear it everyday,” Prounis said. Each piece is hand made in New York, either by Prounis or three other jewelers in the district. #wwdfashion
“These collections continue to build on that vision, empowering differently abled adults to express themselves through fashion,” said @tommyhilfiger of his line of adaptive apparel, which launches today. The line consists of 37 men’s and 34 women’s styles based upon the pieces from the spring Tommy Hilfiger sportswear collection. #wwdnews
“Stranger Things” is getting a new cast member for season 2. Meet @sadiesink_, the 15-year-old who will be joining the Netflix series for its new season. You may recognize her from “The Glass Castle” with Brie Larson and Woody Harrelson, but the Texas native’s next role goes in an entirely different direction. She describes her character, Max, as “a rough and tumble skater girl [who] becomes friends with the boys at school.” The second season debuts on October 27. (📷: @jgreenery) #wwdeye
Amid the Harvey Weinstein controversy, there’s another sector that’s being put under the spotlight for sexual abuse: the modeling industry. While rumors about abuse and sexual harassment of female and male models — and the photographers, agents and others who perpetrated it — have circulated within the fashion world for years, model @cameronrussell started posting stories from models on Instagram last week about abusive situations they’ve encountered — from sexual harassment and molestation to attempted rape. Over 75 have weighed in so far. Read more on WWD.com. Link in bio. #wwdnews
To celebrate its 16th anniversary, @dylanscandybar tapped designers and celebrities to create mosaics out of candy. The mosaics will be auctioned off to support the philanthropic cause of each participant’s choice. Pictured here is the mural created by @aliceandolivia's Stacey Bendet. For a first look at some of the other artwork being unveiled tonight, go to WWD.com. #wwdeye
The annual Veuve Clicquot Polo Classic in Pacific Palisades this weekend drew Kate Hudson, Tracee Ellis Ross, Laura Dern and more. See pictures of the star-studded event on WWD.com. (📷: @chelsealaurenla) #wwdeye
In his new book “Hollywood Royale,” Andy Warhol’s Protégé Matthew Rolston celebrates the Eighties revival of Hollywood glamour. Featuring more than 100 portraits taken by Rolston from 1977 to 1993, the book contains photos of icons like Michael Jackson, Cyndi Lauper, and @drewbarrymore, pictured here in 1991. “Hollywood Royale,” out today, will be accompanied by an exhibition opening at Los Angeles’ Fahey/Klein Gallery on March 1. #wwdeye