PARIS -- Event Media's effort to telecast the Paris couture collections on close-circuit in the U.S. has fallen through, surprising few people here.
The New York-based group apparently failed to sell enough tickets to honor a contractual $150,000 down payment to the Chambre Syndicale that was due Jan. 8.
Under the terms of the original agreement, Event Media signed a $1 million deal last fall with the Chambre Syndicale to show the upcoming couture collections in high definition TV in auditoriums in New York, Chicago and Los Angeles.
The Chambre had promised about $50,000 from Event Media to each of the 18 couture houses scheduled to broadcast their runway shows. The amount is slightly less than the cost of renting a hall in the new Carrousel.
Jacques Mouclier, Chambre president, said the organization was considering whether to sue Event Media for damages, but he also conceded that his organization had not invested any money in the program.
"Event Media let us know that they were incapable of getting the necessary financing for the project. They asked us to continue the contract in the following season, but I explained that as they had failed to live up their part of our accord they could forget it," said Mouclier.
"I'm disappointed," he added. "Everyone was looking forward to this hook-up and it would have been really useful financially to many houses. But, ultimately, all our efforts came to nothing."
John Triggle, president of Paris Fashion Showcase, the parent company of Event Media, said on Tuesday, "We're not prepared to talk about the difficulties that led to the decision. It's not anybody's business."
Triggle said all ticket purchases for the three cities would be refunded in full.
The project had been plagued by a series of problems. The initial cost of the tickets -- $1,600 for all 18 shows -- reportedly caused many to balk at the steep price. "Certainly tickets didn't go at a rate we had anticipated," said Triggle.
Pierre Cardin and Chanel refused to participate, and a week before the broadcast Yves Saint Laurent and Guy Laroche also pulled out -- after initially agreeing to the deal."The whole thing was a monumental error from the beginning," Cardin said. "I told Mouclier that months ago. You can't exploit la mode continually. There are too many collections already. No wonder people have gotten tired of fashion."
Harrods plans to remove the famous statue of Princess Diana and Dodi Al Fayed from the bottom of the Egyptian escalators and hand it back to Mohamed Al-Fayed. “We are very proud to have played our role in celebrating the lives of Diana, Princess of Wales and Dodi Al Fayed at Harrods and to have welcomed people from around the world to visit the memorial for the past 20 years,” said Michael Ward, Harrods managing director. “With the announcement of the new official memorial statue to Diana, Princess of Wales at Kensington Palace, we feel that the time is right to return this memorial to Mr. Al Fayed and for the public to be invited to pay their respects at the palace.” More on the news, with reporting by @loreleimarfil, at WWD.com. #wwdnews
@prada is introducing a new project at its men’s fall 2018 show this Sunday: “Prada Invites.” The fashion house invited four celebrated creative minds – @ronanaerwanbouroullec, Konstantin Grcic, @herzogdemeuron and @rem.koolhaas – to each create a unique item with its iconic nylon material. The designs will be unveiled on the runway show, which will take place at the company’s warehouse in Viale Ortles 25. #wwdfashion #mfwm (📷: @martinocarrera)
@kering_official is spinning off its stake in puma in an effort to focus on its luxury brands, the brand operator announced yesterday. “We are proud to have supported the turnaround of Puma, which now has unrivaled capabilities to take full advantage of the specific dynamics of its global markets and is poised to achieve substantial growth,” said François-Henri Pinault, Kering’s chief executive officer and chairman. Artémis will become a “long-term strategic shareholder” of Puma with a 29 percent stake. #wwdnews #wwdfashion (📷: @jilliansollazzo)
The fashion world mourns for celebrated street style photographer, Nabile Quenum, who died at age 32 in Paris.
Quenum, creator of the fashion blog “J’ai Perdu Ma Veste,” was a fashion week fixture, and regularly shot for New York magazine’s The Cut, among other outlets, and brands such as Louis Vuitton, Moncler and Adidas. He was also actively involved in the #NoFreePhotos initiative, which kicked off in the fall. Read more about Quenum in @kbsmoke's story on WWD.com. #wwdnews
@verwanggang and @maisonladuree have teamed up on a dessert collab called Vera Wang Pour Ladurée. The collection, which launched this week, features a specialty macaroon, as well as a wedding cake inspired by one of the designer’s gowns. “I could not imagine a more delicate or sophisticated creation to grace any couple’s celebration,” said Wang. #wwdfashion