PARIS -- Yves Saint Laurent has pulled out of "Haute Couture Worldview," a live satellite TV show broadcast simultaneously to New York, Los Angeles and Chicago of 18 couture shows in Paris, raising doubts about the eventual success of the...
PARIS -- Yves Saint Laurent has pulled out of "Haute Couture Worldview," a live satellite TV show broadcast simultaneously to New York, Los Angeles and Chicago of 18 couture shows in Paris, raising doubts about the eventual success of the project.
Guy Laroche might also be a defector.
Event Media International of New York -- the parent of Paris Fashion Showcase Limited -- which is staging the event, agreed to pay $1 million to broadcast the shows in high definition television, according to Jacques Mouclier, president of the Chambre Syndicale.
The couture houses participating in the program are supposed to be paid a fee of close to $50,000 each, whether or not they present their collections in the controversial new underground fashion center, the Carrousel du Louvre, Mouclier added.
The original agreement between Event Media and the Chambre Syndicale included Balmain, Carven, Christian Dior, Louis Feraud, Givenchy, Lecoanet Hemant, Christian Lacroix, Ted Lapidus, Guy Laroche, Hanae Mori, Paco Rabanne, Nina Ricci, Saint Laurent, Jean-Louis Scherrer, Per Spook, Torrente, Emanuel Ungaro and Philippe Venet.
According to sources here, the Saint Laurent pullout, only a week before the shows are scheduled to hit the runways, is only the latest snag to plague the event.
Chanel and Pierre Cardin both refused to participate in the unprecedented event. And, according to the terms of the agreement, the one-third of the million-dollar payment that was to be given to the Chambre Syndicale up front -- before the shows -- has yet to change hands, said Mouclier.
The telecast sponsors were not available for comment on that point.
"This deal was done by Mouclier, and he told me that everyone had agreed to take part," said Pierre Berge, president of Yves Saint Laurent Couture. "But then I discovered that Mr. Cardin and Chanel had refused. Well, if Chanel is not doing it, I don't see why Saint Laurent should."
Asked about losing out on the Event Media fee, Berge replied: "I don't give a damn about $50,000. Mouclier might need the money, but I don't. You can't just show these images to anyone."Berge also complained that the high ticket price -- accessibility to all the closed-circuit shows costs $1,600, including lunch -- prevents young, creative people in America from seeing the couture collections.
In New York, Martin L. Chaisson, chairman and co-chief executive director of "Haute Couture Worldview," countered that there hasn't been any negative reaction to ticket prices. He did, however, acknowledge that there hasn't been a mad dash to the box office either.
"Typically, at this time in this economy, tickets are not going as fast as we thought they would," said Chaisson. "In the Eighties, people bought things immediately; in the Nineties, people buy at the last minute."
Chaisson declined to make initial sales projections or reveal the number of tickets sold so far, but he did say things were beginning to pick up as the event draws near.
"There has been an enormous response, but I don't want to quantify it with a number," he said. As for Saint Laurent's defection, Chaisson said, "That's news to me."
A spokesman for Guy Laroche said the house has also decided not to broadcast its show, although designer Michel Klein seemed unaware of the decision.
Klein, whose first collection for Laroche debuts on Tuesday, Jan. 18, said, "I must say I find it bizarre, to show couture like this [on TV], given the risk of copying, but this decision was made before I joined Laroche."
Mouclier could not be reached for comment on these latest developments.
Other, perhaps more experienced voices in these matters, waved off concerns about the broadcasts.
"I'm not worried at all," said Oscar de la Renta, whose collection for Balmain is part of the scheduled broadcasts. "Look, Victor Costa can have a photo of any outfit within five minutes and anybody can make a copy of any dress. But what they can't reproduce is the quality of the fabric, the workmanship, the finish, which is what people really pay for."
"Thanks to the Americans, we are going to stage this season's show for free," said Gilbert Personeni, Paco Rabanne's managing director of fashion. He pointed out that the Carrousel's 1,200-seat Salle Delorme, where Rabanne, Dior, Nina Ricci, Chanel and Louis Feraud will show, costs $47,370 (270,000 francs at current exchange rates) for a show.At Christian Lacroix, Jean-Jacques Picart said: "We signed up two months ago and are going through. But we are well aware of the risk we are running. We could be cutting off the branch we're sitting on. That's our gut feeling."
When told that tickets to the U.S. broadcasts were reportedly not selling well, Personeni of Paco Rabanne replied: "That would be a disappointment. But they have a contract and will have to respect it."
Original plans for the telecast included a live broadcast of the complete fashion show and a recap in the evening. However, Chaisson said that if support doesn't warrant two viewings per day they, will cut back to one.
As one of the most recognizable models in the world, Christy Turlington Burns has an insider’s view of the fashion industry and the allegations of sexual harassment swirling around it. “I can say that harassment and mistreatment have always been widely known and tolerated in the industry. The industry is surrounded by predators who thrive on the constant rejection and loneliness so many of us have experiences at some point in our careers,” Turlington told WWD, along with her suggestions for how the modeling world should protect younger women and men. Read more on WWD.com. Link in bio. (📷: Tony Palmieri) #wwdnews
@asics America has tapped a new brand ambassador: famed DJ/record producer @steveaoki. This initiative is intended to set the tone for the new brand identity and philosophy and will include partnerships with influencers and in-store and off-line activations that will continue into next year. This is Asics’ most significant marketing effort in two decades, and is expected to attract younger consumers to the brand. #wwdfashion
24-year-old Jean Prounis is redefining the rules of jewelry. Formerly a studio assistant to Jemima Kirke and a design apprentice at Ghuran, she focuses on handcrafted subtleties and ancient goldsmithing techniques. “There was a really sterile feel in the environment and I wanted to have jewelry with character that shapes how you wear it everyday,” Prounis said. Each piece is hand made in New York, either by Prounis or three other jewelers in the district. #wwdfashion
“These collections continue to build on that vision, empowering differently abled adults to express themselves through fashion,” said @tommyhilfiger of his line of adaptive apparel, which launches today. The line consists of 37 men’s and 34 women’s styles based upon the pieces from the spring Tommy Hilfiger sportswear collection. #wwdnews
“Stranger Things” is getting a new cast member for season 2. Meet @sadiesink_, the 15-year-old who will be joining the Netflix series for its new season. You may recognize her from “The Glass Castle” with Brie Larson and Woody Harrelson, but the Texas native’s next role goes in an entirely different direction. She describes her character, Max, as “a rough and tumble skater girl [who] becomes friends with the boys at school.” The second season debuts on October 27. (📷: @jgreenery) #wwdeye
Amid the Harvey Weinstein controversy, there’s another sector that’s being put under the spotlight for sexual abuse: the modeling industry. While rumors about abuse and sexual harassment of female and male models — and the photographers, agents and others who perpetrated it — have circulated within the fashion world for years, model @cameronrussell started posting stories from models on Instagram last week about abusive situations they’ve encountered — from sexual harassment and molestation to attempted rape. Over 75 have weighed in so far. Read more on WWD.com. Link in bio. #wwdnews
To celebrate its 16th anniversary, @dylanscandybar tapped designers and celebrities to create mosaics out of candy. The mosaics will be auctioned off to support the philanthropic cause of each participant’s choice. Pictured here is the mural created by @aliceandolivia's Stacey Bendet. For a first look at some of the other artwork being unveiled tonight, go to WWD.com. #wwdeye
The annual Veuve Clicquot Polo Classic in Pacific Palisades this weekend drew Kate Hudson, Tracee Ellis Ross, Laura Dern and more. See pictures of the star-studded event on WWD.com. (📷: @chelsealaurenla) #wwdeye
In his new book “Hollywood Royale,” Andy Warhol’s Protégé Matthew Rolston celebrates the Eighties revival of Hollywood glamour. Featuring more than 100 portraits taken by Rolston from 1977 to 1993, the book contains photos of icons like Michael Jackson, Cyndi Lauper, and @drewbarrymore, pictured here in 1991. “Hollywood Royale,” out today, will be accompanied by an exhibition opening at Los Angeles’ Fahey/Klein Gallery on March 1. #wwdeye