Most Recent Articles In Fashion Features
Latest Fashion Features Articles
- The CFDA Names 40 New Members <span class='article-title-premium-container' style='font-size:.5em;display:none;vertical-align:middle;padding:.25em;margin: 0 0 0 .25em;'>Premium</span>
- Rachel Antonoff, Archie Comics Team Up on Betty & Veronica Collection
- Facetime With Studio KO’s Karl Fournier and Olivier Marty <span class='article-title-premium-container' style='font-size:.5em;display:none;vertical-align:middle;padding:.25em;margin: 0 0 0 .25em;'>Premium</span>
More Articles By
From the turn of the last century, youthful fashion came to the fore. Trends included:
• Flaming youth! The Twenties flapper: shingled hair, short skirts, flapping galoshes and cloche hats, à la actress Clara Bow.
This story first appeared in the September 6, 2012 issue of WWD. Subscribe Today.
• Bobby-soxers and Frank Sinatra; music’s screaming legions of young girls are born in 1946.
• Saddle shoes bring their two-tone panache to the student uniform.
• It’s a Mod, Mod, Mod world, as English-inspired styles sweep young Sixties fashion.
• Hippie looks of the late Sixties — long skirts, elephant bell-bottoms, no bras, long hair, bare feet, bells as jewelry.
• Calvin Klein makes his name with clean-cut sportswear for women, his jeans and his sexy
underwear for men, shown in startling ads.
• Michael Jackson, a one-man hit factory in the Eighties; his dances and costumes are big influences.
• Madonna: The protean singer has been a fashion influence since her early Eighties Boy Toy
• Tattoos go mainstream in the Nineties and Aughts, giving members of every generation plenty to regret.
• Long skirts for day sweep in, just like in 1912.