GENEVA — The European Union came under attack in the World Trade Organization Friday from China, India and other developing exporting nations for continuing to keep in place a plethora of import-restrictive barriers on textiles and clothing...
GENEVA — The European Union came under attack in the World Trade Organization Friday from China, India and other developing exporting nations for continuing to keep in place a plethora of import-restrictive barriers on textiles and clothing products.
Sun Zhenyu, China’s WTO ambassador, said his country is "extremely concerned" with the manner in which the EU has implemented the Agreement on Textiles and Clothing and underscored that although seven-and-a-half years have passed, "most of the EU’s quota restrictions" are still in place.
In a similar vein, the Indian delegation argued that the EU "has practically kept quotas on all the categories. India believes that this approach goes against the spirit of the ATC."
A report on the EU Trade Policy regime by the WTO secretariat notes that the share of restricted imports that the EU has eliminated so far in the first three stages of the ATC is 20 percent, "leaving 80 percent for the final elimination scheduled for the end of 2004."
The report adds that the figures tend to show the EU has "back-loaded" the liberalization of the quantitative restrictions that under the terms of the ATC accord must be terminated by the end of the 10-year transition period on Jan. 1, 2005, "while meeting the letter of the commitments on integration."
Hong Kong said that while the simple applied-tariff rate for nonagricultural products has come down from 4.5 in 1999 to 4.1, in the case of textiles and clothing products, they remain high in comparison with other industrial products. The EU tariffs for the more common textiles and clothing products — such as men’s and boys’ shirts, trousers, knitted shirts, knitted blouses and T-shirts — Hong Kong said are all at 11.9 percent and urged the 15-member EU "to consider expeditious actions to reduce the tariff rates for textiles and clothing products to narrow the gap."
China and Hong Kong took the floor to complain that, in some instances, the EU has eliminated textile and quota restrictions on non-WTO members, while keeping them in place for WTO members.
From overseeing America’s fastest-growing speciality retailers to codifying cool, WWD talked to the women who are leading the way for the future of beauty. Check out our Instagram Stories to see how these women built today and are creating tomorrow. (📸: @hannah_khymych) #wwdbeauty
For @laperlalingerie's spring 2018 show, the brand chose to host their event at @thevenetianmacao. With Chinese megastars @bingbing_fan and @hubing in attendance, La Perla debuted a rock ‘n’ roll-inspired collection. The show marked the start of Sands Macao Fashion Week, which runs from October 19 to 24 — the city’s first such event. Pictured here are models backstage with glimmering eyes. #wwdfashion (📷: Cheuk-Yin To)
Trending for spring 2018: top stitch design. Gone are the days of stitch just for seams — designers are using the once-minimal detail to create strong decorative elements. (📷: Paola Testa; Styled by @andrew_shang) #wwdfashion
@tradesy is turning the concept of a showroom upside down with its new space in Santa Monica. Here, the company plans to hold events, art exhibits and a showcase rare fashion pieces like this Louis Vuitton boxing set. Get all the details on Tradesy’s first showroom on WWD.com. #wwdnews
Spotted last night at the @erdem x @hm launch event: Kate Bosworth, Rashida Jones, Kirsten Dunst and Selma Blair. The party, which took place in LA, also marked the opening of their pop-up shop. “I was interested in creating a collection that wasn’t in any way disposable. It was about pieces you’d create and keep forever, things that have a permanence to it,” designer Erdem Moralioglu said. #wwdeye (📷: Katie Jones)
Renee Zellweger in yellow in 2001 and again in 2017. Chosen as one of the 12 @pantone Leading Spring Colors (and dubbed “Meadowlark”), it only makes sense that the bright hue stands the test of time and is making a resurgence this season, seen already on stars like @blakelively and @gigihadid. (📷: Donato Sardello & @rexfeatures) #wwdfashion #tbt
Dior’s 70th anniversary celebration continues with a new exhibition at the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto. “Christian Dior,” which is scheduled to run through March 18, takes a look at the founders tenure from 1947 to 1057 and feature 40 designs. Pictured here is an evening gown from the Ailée, fall 1948-49 haute couture collection. #wwdfashion (📷: Brian Boyle)