Hedi Slimane uncharacteristically broke his silence following his departure from Yves Saint Laurent by tweeting a press release on Wednesday issued by his lawyer Hervé Temime that denied he is looking for a backer.
While Slimane continued to avoid comments on the rumors surrounding his exit from YSL, the release reveals that he has retained Temime’s services “to preserve and defend his rights under his agreements with the Kering Group, a mission which is actively being pursued.” He expressed his gratitude to “his beloved studio and couture ateliers, the Angers historical factory and talented seamstresses, and also the Fondation Pierre Bergé-Yves Saint Laurent,” and dedicated his four years at the helm of the brand to Bergé.
Through his lawyer, Slimane said he “has never had in the past, let alone now, the intention or desire to launch a brand under his name.” He denied rumors — including a WWD fashion scoop last month — about meeting investors. As reported, sources said Slimane had been spotted at the Mayhoola for Investments offices in Doha, sparking speculation that he may have discussed funding of his own line. The designer argued in the statement that he has never been to Doha.
In the past sources have said that, after his first stint at Yves Saint Laurent, from which he resigned in 2000, Slimane pursued exclusive negotiations with the brand’s parent, then known as Gucci Group, for the launch of a label under his own moniker, but eventually signed on with Dior Homme. He exited that brand in 2007 and pursued a photography and art career before returning to fashion in 2012 at the creative helm of YSL, which he rechristened Saint Laurent, overhauling the label from his home base in Los Angeles.