COURTING MODELS: More than three years have passed since nine models teamed up to file a lawsuit against eight agencies for breach of contract and various other claims. Lawyers for both sides are expected back in Manhattan Supreme Court June 7 for a hearing before Justice Peter Sherwood.

Initially filed in 2013, the case has had its share of fits and starts and a resolution does not appear to be imminent, according to a few individuals affiliated with the case, who requested anonymity.

Executives at Wilhelmina Models, Wilhelmina Models International, Elite Model Management, Click, MC2 Model and Talent Miami, MC2, Next and Major Model Management declined to comment Friday. Elite’s controller, David Senuto, said it is company policy not to comment on litigation.

Attorneys Mark Seitelman and Skip Taylor first handled the case for the plaintiffs. However, Taylor died late last year and Seitelman is no longer affiliated with the matter. Seitelman said Friday, “I withdrew as the attorney based on the clients’ lack of cooperation,” declining to elaborate.

Executives at Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, the New York law firm that now represents the plaintiffs, did not respond to a request for comment Friday. Laurent Pingaud, whose wife Louisa Raske is among the models who has taken legal action, also declined to comment. He also said his wife was not available to comment.

At the upcoming court appearance, Sherwood is expected to decide on the motion to dismiss that the models in question are employees and not independent contractors.

load comments
blog comments powered by Disqus