NEW YORK — With its West 53rd Street Design store getting a major overhaul, the Museum of Modern Art is also amping up its fall offerings.

The eclectic selection includes such indulgences as $250 Yoko Ono-designed espresso cups, $220 Man Ray Kuen Surface jewelry, a $550 set of Vik Muniz Petri dishes and a $40 Marcel Wanders egg cup and hammer. This fall, HAY, the Dutch furniture and design collaboration with a cultish following, will open its first U.S. outpost in the MoMA Design Store in SoHo. The concept shop will focus on HAY’s Market collection, which was launched in 2011 to give discoveries found by HAY designers in international markets more of a modern twist. “They’re calling it a HAY mini market, but it’s going to be huge,” a MoMA spokeswoman said.

There will also be a more curated selection under the Alexander Girard for Vitra label including a $120 pillow printed with the late artist’s signature cats’ eyes. Known as “Sandro,” Girard, who died in 1993, also worked as an architect and industrial designer, as well as a designer of furniture, interiors and textiles. He created quite an oeuvre, some of which is part of MoMA’s permanent collection. Museum officials partnered with the Girard Studio, which was established to protect his legacy to develop the exclusive items.

A $45 portable featherweight rain trench that comes with a compact waterproof tote bag by the Japanese designer Misaki Shimahara is one of the items MoMA’s buying team found in Japan. Tokyo is home to one of the MoMA Design stores. Phoebe and Annette Stephens’ Cage Clutch with loose pearls encased was inspired by their sculptor father’s intricate birdcage designs filled with treasures from the sea. The $650 accessory also borrows from the work of the Stephens’ jeweler mother, who was said to be a favorite of Frida Kahlo.

MoMA shoppers will also find more familiar names, like $20 Roy Lichtenstein place mats, Issey Miyake, MM6 Maison Margiela’s fringe two-tone gold and gunmetal finished $330 necklace and $390 coordinating earrings and Bao Bao Issey Miyake Lucite bags in the $195 to $425 range

One of the more unusual additions to MoMA’s Design store will be FRAMED, a $900 Taipei-produced Internet-connected walnut frame for digital and interactive art. FRM* chief executive officer and cofounder William Lai said MoMA found his company last year through its $500,000 Kicktsarter initiative. Geared towards promoting little-known digital artists, FRAMED is designed so that owners can continually change their art through its app. Artists, who determine the prices for their work, will receive 70 percent of each sale and FRAMED will earn the remaining 30 percent. The museum’s exclusive version will include artwork by Aaron Koblin and Nicholas Felton, two artists whose work is featured in MoMA exhibitions “Talk To Me.”

Digital art is also the focus of the $4,000 Matrix LED Screen, a standing wood frame with softly lit Japanese washi paper that uses a USB flash drive to import pixelated artwork or to showcase five videos already installed on the screen. Lastly, fans of MoMA’s 3Doodler, a printing pen that enables users to create 3-D designs, now have an updated $99 version and the option of buying $12 Flexy Mix Color Filaments to create flexible designs.

load comments
blog comments powered by Disqus