Converse Inc. has named Andrew Buckler vice president of global creative design, a new position within the company.
In the role, Buckler will oversee the design vision for apparel, footwear, brand identity and store concepts for the North Andover, Mass.-based brand, a division of Nike Inc. He reports to Jim Calhoun, president and chief executive officer of Converse.
Buckler is exiting day-to-day involvement in his own men’s wear label, Buckler, and will relocate from New York to Boston to work on Converse full time. Buckler, which operates retail stores in New York, London and Toronto, will continue operations without him at the design helm.
The center of operations for the brand will move to Istanbul, where Hakan Cemal, the majority owner of the business, is located, said Buckler. Cemal is president of HC Tekstil, a large-scale apparel manufacturer that is a division of Turkey’s Hey Group.
HC Tekstil acquired a majority interest in Buckler in 2006. Andrew Buckler, and his London-based brother, Jeremy Buckler, retain a minority share of the company and will remain involved in long-term strategy and oversight of the brand.
“Running Buckler for the past 10 years has been exciting but doing so on a dime can be tough,” said Buckler of his decision to depart the world of indie fashion for a corporate position. “Converse developed this position for me and it was an offer I couldn’t turn down. The last three years following the financial crisis have had their challenges for small businesses.”
Buckler shuttered a retail store in New York’s SoHo earlier this spring due to escalating rents in the space. About 65 percent of the brand’s business is currently in its three remaining retail stores and 35 percent in wholesale accounts like Nordstrom, Atrium, Zappos and Harvey Nichols in Hong Kong.
From overseeing America’s fastest-growing speciality retailers to codifying cool, WWD talked to the women who are leading the way for the future of beauty. Check out our Instagram Stories to see how these women built today and are creating tomorrow. (📸: @hannah_khymych) #wwdbeauty
For @laperlalingerie's spring 2018 show, the brand chose to host their event at @thevenetianmacao. With Chinese megastars @bingbing_fan and @hubing in attendance, La Perla debuted a rock ‘n’ roll-inspired collection. The show marked the start of Sands Macao Fashion Week, which runs from October 19 to 24 — the city’s first such event. Pictured here are models backstage with glimmering eyes. #wwdfashion (📷: Cheuk-Yin To)
Trending for spring 2018: top stitch design. Gone are the days of stitch just for seams — designers are using the once-minimal detail to create strong decorative elements. (📷: Paola Testa; Styled by @andrew_shang) #wwdfashion
@tradesy is turning the concept of a showroom upside down with its new space in Santa Monica. Here, the company plans to hold events, art exhibits and a showcase rare fashion pieces like this Louis Vuitton boxing set. Get all the details on Tradesy’s first showroom on WWD.com. #wwdnews
Spotted last night at the @erdem x @hm launch event: Kate Bosworth, Rashida Jones, Kirsten Dunst and Selma Blair. The party, which took place in LA, also marked the opening of their pop-up shop. “I was interested in creating a collection that wasn’t in any way disposable. It was about pieces you’d create and keep forever, things that have a permanence to it,” designer Erdem Moralioglu said. #wwdeye (📷: Katie Jones)
Renee Zellweger in yellow in 2001 and again in 2017. Chosen as one of the 12 @pantone Leading Spring Colors (and dubbed “Meadowlark”), it only makes sense that the bright hue stands the test of time and is making a resurgence this season, seen already on stars like @blakelively and @gigihadid. (📷: Donato Sardello & @rexfeatures) #wwdfashion #tbt
Dior’s 70th anniversary celebration continues with a new exhibition at the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto. “Christian Dior,” which is scheduled to run through March 18, takes a look at the founders tenure from 1947 to 1057 and feature 40 designs. Pictured here is an evening gown from the Ailée, fall 1948-49 haute couture collection. #wwdfashion (📷: Brian Boyle)