Woolrich Inc. is strengthening its American made ways.
The company is launching a Made in America men’s collection this fall, adding a women’s one next fall, increasing production in its wool mill by 50 percent this year and aims to boost its domestic-made product offerings to ensure that more than 50 percent of the brand’s wool products are made with American made wool. Woolrich president Nicholas P. Brayton underlined these efforts in an open letter published Thursday.
In a phone interview, Brayton said, “We believe in the future of Made in America products. We think that should be part of our DNA not only today, but even more so going forward.”
The new five-style American made men’s line, which will include items in the $250 to $500 retail price range, should generate “north of $1 million” in sales, he said. The brand has also partnered with Boulder-based Topo Designs to produce wool bags.
After a five-year hiatus, Woolrich will soon be returning to New York to open a showroom, design space and sales office. About eight to 10 staffers will work in the 4,500-square-foot space at 300 Park Avenue South when it bows late next month or in early March. “We think this will be a new window to the world of Woolrich. We’re very excited about it,” Brayton said.
The company got its start in 1830, when John Rich, an immigrant from England, built his first woolen mill in Plum Run, Pa. Last year Brayton, a seventh-generation descendant of John Rich, became the first family member since his father Roswell Brayton Jr. to lead the company. The company now employs 200 people in the U.S. with 90 percent in its home state of Pennsylvania.
The company, which provided blankets to Union soldiers in the Civil War, is also ramping up its domestic-made blanket business, Brayton said. In addition, collaborations with Clark’s, Converse and ProKeds are in place for the brand.
In his letter, Brayton wrote, “In the coming months, for Woolrich to set and accomplish these goals, it’s going to take more than a company commitment. It’s going to take support from our loyal customers as well. At Woolrich, we are proud of our rich heritage, and eager to begin writing the next chapter of the American manufacturing story. Moreover, we are excited to work side by side with you to accomplish these worthwhile goals.”
Harrods plans to remove the famous statue of Princess Diana and Dodi Al Fayed from the bottom of the Egyptian escalators and hand it back to Mohamed Al-Fayed. “We are very proud to have played our role in celebrating the lives of Diana, Princess of Wales and Dodi Al Fayed at Harrods and to have welcomed people from around the world to visit the memorial for the past 20 years,” said Michael Ward, Harrods managing director. “With the announcement of the new official memorial statue to Diana, Princess of Wales at Kensington Palace, we feel that the time is right to return this memorial to Mr. Al Fayed and for the public to be invited to pay their respects at the palace.” More on the news, with reporting by @loreleimarfil, at WWD.com. #wwdnews
@prada is introducing a new project at its men’s fall 2018 show this Sunday: “Prada Invites.” The fashion house invited four celebrated creative minds – @ronanaerwanbouroullec, Konstantin Grcic, @herzogdemeuron and @rem.koolhaas – to each create a unique item with its iconic nylon material. The designs will be unveiled on the runway show, which will take place at the company’s warehouse in Viale Ortles 25. #wwdfashion #mfwm (📷: @martinocarrera)
@kering_official is spinning off its stake in puma in an effort to focus on its luxury brands, the brand operator announced yesterday. “We are proud to have supported the turnaround of Puma, which now has unrivaled capabilities to take full advantage of the specific dynamics of its global markets and is poised to achieve substantial growth,” said François-Henri Pinault, Kering’s chief executive officer and chairman. Artémis will become a “long-term strategic shareholder” of Puma with a 29 percent stake. #wwdnews #wwdfashion (📷: @jilliansollazzo)
The fashion world mourns for celebrated street style photographer, Nabile Quenum, who died at age 32 in Paris.
Quenum, creator of the fashion blog “J’ai Perdu Ma Veste,” was a fashion week fixture, and regularly shot for New York magazine’s The Cut, among other outlets, and brands such as Louis Vuitton, Moncler and Adidas. He was also actively involved in the #NoFreePhotos initiative, which kicked off in the fall. Read more about Quenum in @kbsmoke's story on WWD.com. #wwdnews
@verwanggang and @maisonladuree have teamed up on a dessert collab called Vera Wang Pour Ladurée. The collection, which launched this week, features a specialty macaroon, as well as a wedding cake inspired by one of the designer’s gowns. “I could not imagine a more delicate or sophisticated creation to grace any couple’s celebration,” said Wang. #wwdfashion