Most Recent Articles In Memo Pad
Latest Memo Pad Articles
- Malcolm Carfrae to Leave Ralph Lauren
- Time Inc. Partners With Kobe Bryant, Morgan Spurlock and Jenna Bush Hager on Video Projects
- Hearst Brings Striptease to NewFronts; Inks ‘Magic Mike’ Deal With Channing Tatum
More Articles By
ONE BRAND IS SPENDING MORE: As many brands dramatically scale back their ad spend for 2009, Adidas is launching a global campaign that, over the next six months, will more than double the amount the activewear company had previously spent on a campaign for its iconic three-stripe mark brand, called adidas Originals. While Simon Atkins, business unit director, adidas Originals, North America, declined to reveal how much the company is spending, he said the timing couldn’t be better to roll out the campaign, because “while others are cutting back, we are going to be aggressive in the marketplace,” adding the campaign will celebrate three-stripe’s 60th anniversary. Adidas will begin by running TV commercials, but digital initiatives such as Web home-page takeovers and Facebook will account for more than 50 percent of the spending. He also intends to maintain the brand’s overall investment in print advertising, but ads will be multipage and focused on a few select publications. At press time, he didn’t know which titles would be chosen.
The campaign, “Celebrate Originality,” includes 17 celebrities from music (Katy Perry, Young Jeezy, Estelle, Russell Simmons and Missy Elliott), sports (David Beckham, Kevin Garnett) and designers (Jeremy Scott and Kazuki). “We wanted to link this campaign to a broad spectrum of customers,” said Atkins. — Amy Wicks
This story first appeared in the December 2, 2008 issue of WWD. Subscribe Today.
WINTOUR’S PALACE JAUNT: Anna Wintour made a trip back to her hometown of London last week, when she collected her OBE, or Officer of the Civil Division of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire honor, from Buckingham Palace. The Vogue editor in chief described receiving the award — Wintour was singled out for services to British journalism and British fashion in the U.S. — as “a great honor,” and said she celebrated the day with “a quiet lunch with my family.”
After Wintour received the OBE, which she pinned to the pale blue Chanel suit she wore with Manolo Blahnik boots, she told reporters at the palace that many of her American colleagues weren’t quite sure what the award represents. But now that New York’s fashion community has two prominent OBEs among its ranks — Harper’s Bazaar editor in chief Glenda Bailey picked up the award earlier this year — fashion assistants may start polishing their knowledge of the British honors system. — Nina Jones
PRINGLE’S NEW GUARD: Pringle of Scotland has tapped a troika of trans-Atlantic “It” girls to be the faces of the label’s spring campaign. Pixie Geldof, Daisy Lowe and Lydia Hearst all are featured in the campaign — shot by Steven Meisel in spare, black-and-white tones — alongside male models Ash Stymest and Gordie Walker. “We were looking at iconic faces…we wanted it to feel young, vibrant and very British,” said Clare Waight Keller, creative director of Pringle. “Pixie Geldof had been on our radar for a little while, and then we started looking at the friends she hangs around with….I liked the feeling of reality behind that, that it’s not just pulled together for an ad campaign.”
Fabien Baron at Baron & Baron worked with Waight Keller as artistic director for the campaign, which was styled by Karl Templer with hair by Guido Palau and makeup by Pat McGrath. Waight Keller said she wanted the campaign to have a “Sixties feel, in the way that Avedon and Bailey captured the spirit of the people of the time.” And in keeping with the group’s bohemian leanings, it turns out modeling is only a day job for Stymest — he also plays drums in a band called, appropriately, “The Mannequins.” The campaign will break in March issues of titles including Vogue, W, Interview and Harper’s Bazaar. — N.J.
MANAGING UP…AND OUT: Domino is losing one of its founding editors to the start-up world: managing editor Sarah Min is leaving this week to start her own media venture (of which further details could not be learned at press time). Min is a veteran of Glamour, Vibe and Talk magazines and also has an MBA from Columbia University. Replacing Min will be another longtime Condé Nast Publications Inc. employee, Mary Gail Pezzimenti, who most recently was corporate editorial projects director helping to develop Web sites for the individual titles at Condé Nast. Pezzimenti joins on Wednesday. — Stephanie D. Smith