Highlights through the years.
This story first appeared in the May 1, 2012 issue of WWD. Subscribe Today.
1977: Maurice becomes the first of the four Marciano brothers to settle in California.
• First retail store opens in Century City, Calif. Others follow in Beverly Hills and New York.
1981: Bloomingdale’s in New York buys, and quickly sells, 24 pairs of Guess jeans in December.
1982: Paul Marciano creates Guess Advertising and begins creating groundbreaking marketing imagery.
1983: Guess Men makes its debut.
1984: Guess launches Baby Guess and Guess Watches.
1985: First black-and-white ads shot by photographer Wayne Maser appear in European fashion magazines to speed acceptance of its products in Europe.
1986: Guess wins first Clio advertising award for “Desert” commercial.
1987: Guess wins second Clio for “Picture Show” commercial.
1988: Footwear and fragrance categories launch.
• Guess wins a third Clio award for its commercial “Paparazzi.”
• Guess products become available in South Korea.
1989: Eyewear launches.
• Claudia Schiffer attains supermodel status after appearing in company campaigns.
• Global expansion continues into Argentina, Canada and Mexico.
• The Guess Collection line of tailored sportswear for women, now known as Guess by Marciano, hits stores in fall.
1990: Schiffer’s appearance at Macy’s Herald Square in New York draws a record crowd.
• The Metropolitan Museum of Art adds Guess image book, “Nashville,” to its permanent library collection.
1991: Guess opens a men’s megashop in Bloomingdale’s flagship.
• The coffee-table book “A Decade of Guess” hits shelves throughout Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore
1992: Guess expands to the Philippines and Australia.
• Handbags and leather lines are launched.
• Anna Nicole Smith becomes a household name after appearing in a Guess advertising campaign.
1993: Guess flagship opens on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills.
• The brand arrives in Brazil and Indonesia.
• Belts, neckwear and men’s leather lines are launched.
• Singapore appearance by Guess models Smith and Beiron Andersson spurs a riot.
• Georges Marciano, who handled merchandising, leaves the company. His brothers buy his shares.
1994: The Guess Foundation is established to further the company’s philanthropic efforts.
• The first Guess Journal is published.
• The complete line is showcased in one Bloomingdale’s storewide promotion.
• Guess expands to Colombia and Italy.
• Jewelry and swimwear collections launch.
• After being discovered by Paul Marciano, Laetitia Casta begins her modeling career in a Guess campaign.
1995: The label first appears in Spain.
• Another discovery, Valeria Mazza, becomes an overnight success after modeling for the brand.
1996: Guess wins seven Clio awards for the short film “Cheat.”
• Store opens in Lebanon.
• uess becomes a publicly traded company listed on the New York Stock Exchange under ticker symbol GES.
1997: Guess store opens in Guam.
• Raj Manufacturing becomes the company’s official swimwear licensee.
1998: Stores open in South Africa.
• The company launches the Fundraising Scrip Program to benefit community schools.
1999: Guess.com goes live.
• Recording artist and model Tyrese signs on as an exclusive spokesmodel.
• A state-of-the-art distribution center opens in Louisville, Ky.
• Retail operations hit 50 percent of sales.
2000: Web presence expands with launch of guesskids.com.
• Guess Kids stores open.
• Max Leather Group becomes licensee for women’s belts.
• Guess store opens in Nassau, Bahamas.
2001: Guess Canada license is acquired.
2002: The company celebrates its 20th anniversary with the publication of the “Second Decade of Guess” oversize book.
• Guess Collection handbags launch.
• The label opens its 200th U.S. store.
2003: Guess wins four Mobius Awards.
• First M concept store bows in Atlanta.
2004: Guess Accessories stores open in Los Angeles.
• Guess by Marciano opens stores in North America.
2005: Guess Accessories retail concept expands internationally.
• Women’s fragrance launches.
2006: Men’s fragrance launches.
• Flagship opens in Mexico City
2007: G by Guess bows.
• Guess by Marciano footwear launches.
• Guess takes direct control of businesses in South Korea and China.
2008: Guess by Marciano opens first flagship in New York’s SoHo.
2009: Flagship opens in Santiago, Chile.
2010: Largest Guess store in the world opens on New York’s Fifth Avenue.
• Coty becomes the licensee for beauty, launches Guess Seductive fragrance.
• Guess by Marciano Eyewear and G by Guess footwear are launched.
• North American retail operations pass $1 billion in sales.
2011: Flagship opens in Panama City.
• Actress Amber Heard appears in Guess ad campaigns.
• Nancy Shachtman named president, North America.
• European operations exceed $1 billion in revenues.
2012: The company marks “30 Sexy Years” with publication of “A Third Decade of Guess Images.”
• Claudia Schiffer returns for the anniversary ad campaign.